2017 Rule change ideas

If there is one thing we need, it is more referees so that there be even more eyes to see even less than what your average fan with one half-working eye can usually see better.

I wouldn't be against the idea of each player gets their own ref for the game

Get rid of the 7 tackle restart.

Get rid of the try or no try, it's not really much different to the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Get rid of the 7 tackle restart.

Get rid of the try or no try, it's not really much different to the benefit of the doubt anyway.

I don't mind the 7 tackle re-start

but I agree, if the ref sends it to the bunker, then he shouldn't have to send it up with a ruling as well, doing that can tie the bunkers hands on occasions.

I'd like the 7 tackle set if they catch it in goal, but if you kick it dead it shouldn't be.

The rule was to prevent teams kicking it dead from long range to keep the ball away from dangerous backs like Slater. They should change it so that it's only a 7 tackle set if it was kicked from beyond the 20 metre line.

There are 2 things I want changed:

Penalty Goals worth 3 points. So many times teams deliberately give penalties to reset their defensive lines on their try line. I want to see that penalty have more value, by being worth half a converted try and if you want to give away two, you're giving up a converted try.

7 tackle restart only when ball is kicked outside the 20m line and goes dead, or if kicked inside the 20m 7 tackle restart is at the 10m instead of the 20m (this includes field goal attempts).

The rule was to prevent teams kicking it dead from long range to keep the ball away from dangerous backs like Slater. They should change it so that it's only a 7 tackle set if it was kicked from beyond the 20 metre line.

Tbh if you put in a genuine attacking kick and you have a chaser within say 5-10m of the ball when it goes dead. Then it should only be 20m restart 6 tackles. If you have nobody inside that range it would be seen as a diliberate attempt to slow the play dow / take the fullback out of play, then its a 20m tap 7 tackles.

The way it is now you can go within inches of scoring a try to having to defend a 7 tackle set. Just seems cruel.

There are 2 things I want changed:

Penalty Goals worth 3 points. So many times teams deliberately give penalties to reset their defensive lines on their try line. I want to see that penalty have more value, by being worth half a converted try and if you want to give away two, you're giving up a converted try.

7 tackle restart only when ball is kicked outside the 20m line and goes dead, or if kicked inside the 20m 7 tackle restart is at the 10m instead of the 20m (this includes field goal attempts).

The 3 point penalty goal could be interesting!

The issue i have with saying "kicks outside the 20m"..... what if you put up a bomb 21m out, comes down in the in goal and your jumpers go up only to knock it dead. Does that deserve to be punished with defending a 7 tackle set?

3 point pens would turn it into rugby. Shots at goal can't be worth more than half a try. Granted rugby balls are easier to kick aren't they? Still I wouldn't like to see teams shooting for goal every time they enter the 40m and get a penalty.

Personally a big one for me is the overall game time. I know they've taken steps to increase the amount of time the ball is in play, but how hard is it to stop the clock whenever the ball isn't live? Every time it goes into touch: stop the clock. Every time they pack a scrum: stop the clock til the ball gets fed. I'd even be happy to go as far as even having conversions and restarts not count towards the 80mins (but still 'timed') as they take up to 5 minutes off the clock, or at least seems that long.

Happy to see the dead-in-goal 7 tackle set go.

I swear when that rule was first introduced the news article said it was going to be exactly that. I remember being surprised the first time someone kicked it dead from 5m out and a 7 tackle set was given.

I don't like how the current rule punishes attacking play, especially in the case where the ball is knocked on in the act of scoring. As it stands, the rule punishes positive play way more often than the negative play it was introduced to stop in the first place.

In the case of the 21m bomb [MENTION=8678]Astro[/MENTION] if your player touches it then it should be ruled as a knock on in-goal and a 6 tackle 20m restart.

Last edited:
The 3 point penalty goal could be interesting!

The issue i have with saying "kicks outside the 20m"..... what if you put up a bomb 21m out, comes down in the in goal and your jumpers go up only to knock it dead. Does that deserve to be punished with defending a 7 tackle set?

In that case the ball was touched inside the 20 before it went dead so would be a 6 tackle restart. The 7 tackle restart should only count for kicks that go dead off the boot from outside the 20.

1. Stop the clock after every scoring play, with a 1-2 minute shot clock in which the conversion (if a try) and the kick-off must happen. 50m restart for the opposition if either team fails.

2. 7 tackle 20m restart needs to go for a mark in goal. If you have the field position to be bombing the in-goal area, you deserve to be able to do so without fear of gifting a 7 tackle set to the defending team. I don't really like 7 tackles for a kick dead either, but definitely not for a mark in goal.

3. An injury sub - an 18th man who can only come on to the field when activated by the coach on the advice of independent medical staff that a player has been ruled out for the rest of a game. Initial activation of the injury sub doesn't count towards normal interchanges. Can be placed either on the bench or on the field. Once activated, under no circumstances may the injured player return to the field.

4. Extra time becomes golden try. A field goal or a penalty goal does not end the match.

5. I haven't exactly worked this one out, but I'd like to see some kind of system for the finals where carry over judiciary points are temporarily ignored. So basically we don't see players missing finals footy for a 75 point charge, which I believe is basically tripping and a grade 1 careless high tackle. A player charged during finals would have carry over points though, so repeat offenders still miss out.

On ABC Grandstand today they said that Todd Greenburg has stated that at seasons end the MRC and Judiciary will be scrapped in it's current form.

Personally I don't think they need to be changed too much, what they need to do is tweak a few things and get entirely new personnel for both entities.

changes i would make:

1. Scrap the ex players from the judiciary panel, the panel needs independence and consistency. you won't get either while you have ex players on the panel. you need to ensure that whoever is on the panel has no affiliation with anyone in the game

2, change the way charges are graded. ATM, they are complicating things too much and inviting too many loop holes. (example the shoulder charge rule, even they players are confused about what exactly constitutes a shoulder charge when it comes to the MRC)

3. The MRC also needs to be a completely independent and professional body

4. I'd also scrap the loading, this 20% for a non-similar charge 50% for a prior similar offence is stupid and allows too much room for charges to be inappropriately laid to try and rub someone out longer. while I do think there should be some form of additional penalty for repeat offenders, it needs to be standard across the board.

I think the rules and charges are fine, and loading is a good idea. I agree that it's the staff that need to change.

If I were in charge I'd go back and look at every charge that's ever been laid, discard the anomalies that were obviously wrong, and find a benchmark for each charge and grade. That's your info bank. That's how you get consistency.

This just annoys me which is the (not the NRL new segment) on the Matty johns show on fox sports. The segment is making fun of people who have jobs either that be being a professional footballer or a job interviewing people or being the host of shows and this segment makes them look stupied or just makes fun of them I wish they would take the segment away they think they are piss funny when there not =(. Wish they would do something about it.
47395873.jpg

did you even read it , do you know what the matty johns show is?

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • GCBRONCO
  • Alec
  • pennywisealfie
  • Maddy
  • thenry
  • theshed
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • lynx000
  • BooKhaki
  • Waynesaurus
  • johnny plath
  • mrslong
  • Midean
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.