2017 Under 20's

QUOTE="Danoz Direct, post: 2835747, member: 8457"]It is clearly not working and the Broncos need to see what Melbourne are doing and replicate it quick smart.

its not so much about replicating, but more to do with actually being good at your job and actually doing what you are being paid to do. and doing it well. the storm dont sign a 100 juniors, they are very selective and invest time and resources into the players they really want.[/QUOTE]

As crooked as Peter O'Sullivan was, he sure was a good talent scout, first at Melbourne then at the Roosters.
I'd love to know how often the Broncos review and cull their scouts and recruiters. Looking from the outside it doesn't seem like there's been much change to a system that seems cumbersome and badly underachieving.
Quite frankly, I think we've really come back to the pack whilst other clubs have surged ahead of us.

i couldnt agree more on your post, well said. i have been vocal now for a while around this point. i call it the funnel effect, sign as many as we can and see what falls through the bottom.
the 2 head recruiters at the storm and cows leave our dunce's for dead.

There are significant and sweeping changes on the horizon

All in all I have been quite underwhelmed by the quality of the juniors recruited throughout the life of the Under 20s competition. Considering the scope and pulling power of the Broncos, a lot of our current NRL squad have been bought in from outside the Broncos system and some really quality youngsters have been overlooked and are now playing elsewhere.
We can't sign every rising star but the Broncos have backed the wrong horse on quite a few occasions. I sometimes wonder if we have just signed quantity over quality and hoped the cream would rise to the top.
It never ceases to amaze me how Melbourne (and the Cowboys more recently) have such a good strike rate at finding and developing young players. I've been really concerned about our recruitment for a few years. The wheels have been a bit wobbly since the days of Cyril Connell.
Yeah I've been banging on about this for a little while now, I'm sure I even made a topic on this recently.

I agree with you, we have resources that dwarf every other club, we have the name, we have the pedigree... yet the other sides seem to be unearthing legitimate stars, and who was the last one we produced? Yow Yeh? Oates at a stretch. What is happening with our scouting if we are turning down players like Holmes, Milford (the first time), Napa, Munster etc - if we're not even turning them down, how are they slipping through the net and getting signed by other clubs?

I just don't understand....

it's not good enough for a club the size of the broncos.

Yeah I've been banging on about this for a little while now, I'm sure I even made a topic on this recently.

I agree with you, we have resources that dwarf every other club, we have the name, we have the pedigree... yet the other sides seem to be unearthing legitimate stars, and who was the last one we produced? Yow Yeh? Oates at a stretch. What is happening with our scouting if we are turning down players like Holmes, Milford (the first time), Napa, Munster etc - if we're not even turning them down, how are they slipping through the net and getting signed by other clubs?

I just don't understand....

it's not good enough for a club the size of the broncos.

Very easy, clubs are throwing bigger money at the kids when they are younger to lure them to the club. We can only fork out so much to the 20s players these days and choices have to be made eventually. Also, some star juniors aren't going to sign with a club if they have an international rep player that is young in their position already. Same reason Smith left our junior system, Walters was the incumbent hooker at the time. I fail to see us signing up a stud young 5/8 any time soon because what kid would want to play in our juniors at 5/8 when the first path is pretty much blocked with Milford at 5/8 for the next 4 years atleast.

Very easy, clubs are throwing bigger money at the kids when they are younger to lure them to the club. We can only fork out so much to the 20s players these days and choices have to be made eventually. Also, some star juniors aren't going to sign with a club if they have an international rep player that is young in their position already.
Why are we making the wrong choices, is then the next question? How come other clubs, with less visibility and less presence, make better choices than we do?

Why are we making the wrong choices, is then the next question? How come other clubs, with less visibility and less presence, make better choices than we do?

Explain how you would sign a young star kid to play fullback or 5/8 for us in the 20s currently. How would you answer the question of "can I play first grade here? Is there a spot available for me to progress through the ranks?".

Explain how you would sign a young star kid to play fullback or 5/8 for us in the 20s currently. How would you answer the question of "can I play first grade here? Is there a spot available for me to progress through the ranks?".
I would say, Darius Boyd is 30 years old. You are 18. The position is available if you want it in 2 years time, though you will need to prove on and off the field that you are capable of handling it.

I would also say re the halves: note the indecision going on there at the moment? You could be the answer, no one is guaranteed a spot (apart from Milf but you know) and we need a half. Can you be that guy?

It would be a lot easier selling the FB spot. Having said that, there's more than 2 positions on the field and we haven't really had a star come through in any position outside of Oates falling into a wing spot and becoming a gun by happenstance.

The development pathway in general is flawed.

Not necessarily talking about the Broncos here, but a lot of clubs have had trouble converting their junior stars into bonafide first grade talent. In a lot of cases, I don't think these teams are necessarily picking the wrong horses, they're just struggling to get them to the next level. Either because they only have so many spots on their rosters or the people put in charge of getting teams to that level aren't the most qualified.

Back in the day you could get away with putting an inexperienced coach in charge of your younger players, but the game has evolved so much and a lot of genuine talent is going to waste for one reason or another.

With the NYC coming to an end, I wouldn't be surprised to see more genuine first grade talent trickle through. A lot of the better players you're watching these days usually had to serve a stint in the Qld/NSW Cup before they were good to go.

The development pathway in general is flawed.

Not necessarily talking about the Broncos here, but a lot of clubs have had trouble converting their junior stars into bonafide first grade talent. In a lot of cases, I don't think these teams are necessarily picking the wrong horses, they're just struggling to get them to the next level. Either because they only have so many spots on their rosters or the people put in charge of getting teams to that level aren't the most qualified.

Back in the day you could get away with putting an inexperienced coach in charge of your younger players, but the game has evolved so much and a lot of genuine talent is going to waste for one reason or another.

With the NYC coming to an end, I wouldn't be surprised to see more genuine first grade talent trickle through. A lot of the better players you're watching these days usually had to serve a stint in the Qld/NSW Cup before they were good to go.

Yes and no to this I think. I don't think you could say the pathway is flawed because if you look at every NRL team you would be hard pressed to find a player (except international imports or debuted in NRL pre 2008) that has not come through the NYC system prior to playing Intrust cup level and then NRL It may be the case though that maybe the best player hasn't kicked on so falls off the radar and out of NRL contention. I guess again, this falls back on the club as to who they want to perservere with at the development stage and push through. To be honest I think this breaks down because there is a self fullfilling prophecy at play here whereby a club will id a talent at a young age who they commit to and bring through the ranks but become blinkered to other talent developing at a later age that is probably/possibly a better player but misses on the opportunity. The club still gets to say look at our success at bringing such and such through, meanwhile other player misses opportunity because of numbers and available development dollars. I've personally seen this happen (imo), but I guess its a difficult thing to measure. I don't think its unique to the Broncos, but I think we've missed more fish than we've caught for some reason.

I don't think you could say the pathway is flawed because if you look at every NRL team you would be hard pressed to find a player (except international imports or debuted in NRL pre 2008) that has not come through the NYC system prior to playing Intrust cup level

You can if the player doesn't live up to their potential or that player spent more time in the open age competitions than in the 20s.

To be honest I think this breaks down because there is a self fullfilling prophecy at play here whereby a club will id a talent at a young age who they commit to and bring through the ranks but become blinkered to other talent developing at a later age that is probably/possibly a better player but misses on the opportunity. The club still gets to say look at our success at bringing such and such through, meanwhile other player misses opportunity because of numbers and available development dollars. I've personally seen this happen (imo), but I guess its a difficult thing to measure. I don't think its unique to the Broncos, but I think we've missed more fish than we've caught for some reason.

I agree with a lot of this.

The other problem too is that Rugby League is a team game and the more talented prospect maybe looked over for somebody who fulfills the role better. You could have excellent foot-work, a nice skill-set and genuine strength, but if the coach prefers his 10 runs 25 Tackles 0 Misses 0 Errors Prop, you'll struggle to get game-time to work out the issues in your game.

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • NSW stables
  • Manlyman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.