2017 Under 20's

There are significant and sweeping changes on the horizon

I'm sure you won't share your info now but I'd love to hear about it if it comes to fruition. It's not always the sort of story that makes it to the media.

Yeah I've been banging on about this for a little while now, I'm sure I even made a topic on this recently.

I agree with you, we have resources that dwarf every other club, we have the name, we have the pedigree... yet the other sides seem to be unearthing legitimate stars, and who was the last one we produced? Yow Yeh? Oates at a stretch. What is happening with our scouting if we are turning down players like Holmes, Milford (the first time), Napa, Munster etc - if we're not even turning them down, how are they slipping through the net and getting signed by other clubs?

I just don't understand....

it's not good enough for a club the size of the broncos.

When Richo and Canavan did their study into the 20's as an option they found about 10% were graduating from NYC and that then fell dramatically when it came to playing more than 10 games.

The Broncos at the time had 31 graduates from NYC to NRL from 2008 to 2016. The Warriors were far and away the most successful at it with 57.

That 31 was equal fourth most in the NRL behind Warriors, Tigers, Eels and then Broncos and Panthers equal.

Do you guys do much work with younger guys? Like how young does the recruitment go down to like under 16 or lower?

Do you guys do much work with younger guys? Like how young does the recruitment go down to like under 16 or lower?

they are called the t shirt brigade. we have a couple of guys on the ground whose sole job and only purpose is to watch under 13's and 14's. they arent allowed to be signed to a formal contract but they are given t shirts and other things to try tie them to the club until they are allowed to be signed as a 15 yr old.
my view, its pushing the boundary too far for to have grown men employed by a nrl club watching 13 and 14 yr old kids play footbal with no genuine family or personal connection.

they are called the t shirt brigade. we have a couple of guys on the ground whose sole job and only purpose is to watch under 13's and 14's. they arent allowed to be signed to a formal contract but they are given t shirts and other things to try tie them to the club until they are allowed to be signed as a 15 yr old.
my view, its pushing the boundary too far for to have grown men employed by a nrl club watching 13 and 14 yr old kids play footbal with no genuine family or personal connection.
Thanks I just have a mate who has posted photos with broncos training gear over the past couple of years. He is 16, so would he be signed, or just in the t shirt brigade

Thanks I just have a mate who has posted photos with broncos training gear over the past couple of years. He is 16, so would he be signed, or just in the t shirt brigade

not too sure mate

KOTONI Staggs will switch from centre to five-eighth as the Broncos under-20s look to get their National Youth Competition campaign back on track.
Staggs has been in good form out wide but coach Scott Tronc is keen to see him even closer to the action at pivot when they face the Wests Tigers on Friday.
The Broncos need to right their ship after consecutive losses to heavyweights Penrith and a 46-10 loss to the Sea Eagles in Sydney last Saturday.
“We need to improve our defence and to compete for the whole game – that is the first message to the team,” said Tronc.
“We can’t compete for 30 minutes against teams, we need to be doing it for 80 minutes.
“Kotoni has got a bit of an opportunity there.
“He has been playing really well so we want to have a look at him at five-eighth.”
Kalemb Hart will make his NYC debut in the centres, with Julian Christian back to the bench.
Rory Ferguson will start at lock while Eddie Blacker comes back into the forward rotation.

BRONCOS NYC SQUAD
1. Corey Allan
2. David Fauid
3. Kalemb Hart
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Thane Kellermeyer
6. Kotoni Staggs
7. Gerome Burns
8. Jai Whitbread
9. Tyson Smoothy
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Keenan Palasia
12. Lachlan Lanskey
13. Rory Ferguson
Interchange:
14. Julian Christian
15. Clayton Mack
16. Eddie Blacker
17. Sam Elliott
18. Brandon Russell
Reserve: Brayden Dee
Reserve: Herbie Farnworth
Reserve: Hayden O’Hara
Reserve: Kobe Hetherington
Reserve: Miti Tautai
Coach: Scott Tronc

Hopefully losing Tino and others set that in motion.
Tino's was lost on a huge deal by the Storm. They have lost their back rowers recently and are in desperate need to fill the void. Broncos have good stocks of back rowers so couldnt match the big money deal.
Croft opted not to go to the Broncos as he would of had Hunt, Milford and Ash Talyor ahead of him. Ash Taylor is a Broncos developed player who is the best young half in the NRL by a country mile.

The Broncos Development Squad (T Shirt gang) is the exact same model that the Cowboys, Storm and Titans have adopted and use. All the QLD based clubs scout and work with players in High school (13 yrs up).
None of the other clubs mentioned produce more NRL players from their junior programs than the Broncos do. The Broncos problem at the moment is that their NRL side is stacked full of international & origin players so very few can get through. Their u20's side over the past 2 years have been decimated by injuries but still remained competitive which is a testament to their junior depth. Cowboys recruit a lot from NZ and do it quite well. Storm don't recruit well, they poach.

The Broncos Development Squad (T Shirt gang) is the exact same model that the Cowboys, Storm and Titans have adopted and use. All the QLD based clubs scout and work with players in High school (13 yrs up).
None of the other clubs mentioned produce more NRL players from their junior programs than the Broncos do. The Broncos problem at the moment is that their NRL side is stacked full of international & origin players so very few can get through. Their u20's side over the past 2 years have been decimated by injuries but still remained competitive which is a testament to their junior depth. Cowboys recruit a lot from NZ and do it quite well. Storm don't recruit well, they poach.

yes i agree the side is stacked full of internationals but you have well and truly missed the point around development and junior recruitment.
roberts, moga, mead, milford, blair, pangai, ese'ese have all been bought in. boyd and sims are recycled broncos players so we can virtually call them recruits. effectively that is 9 and roberts, milford and boyd are our best players, not to mention bird is arriving next year. that has nothing to do with development at all.
as far as the cows recruiting a lot from nz and i am not sure about that, majority of their base are local kids.
in regards to the storm poaching - slater, chambers, cronk, munster, smith,bromwich x 2 - the list goes on. these are all storm developed and no other club had them. munster was a typical example of our guys not doing there job properly. he was a t shirt brigade kid and was ignored so he went back to rocky after a 3 day camp. killed it in the isc and storm gave him a chance to play grade. thats now poaching.

Are any of the recruiters, etc still residual remains of the Cullen years? It would explain a lot, probably everything really, if the are?

yes i agree the side is stacked full of internationals but you have well and truly missed the point around development and junior recruitment.
roberts, moga, mead, milford, blair, pangai, ese'ese have all been bought in. boyd and sims are recycled broncos players so we can virtually call them recruits. effectively that is 9 and roberts, milford and boyd are our best players, not to mention bird is arriving next year. that has nothing to do with development at all.
as far as the cows recruiting a lot from nz and i am not sure about that, majority of their base are local kids.
in regards to the storm poaching - slater, chambers, cronk, munster, smith,bromwich x 2 - the list goes on. these are all storm developed and no other club had them. munster was a typical example of our guys not doing there job properly. he was a t shirt brigade kid and was ignored so he went back to rocky after a 3 day camp. killed it in the isc and storm gave him a chance to play grade. thats now poaching.
You were talking about 20's earlier now you are taking NRL. Every NRL team has a descent change over of players every 3 years. Your recruitment can't rely on just junior players, nor recruiting from other clubs alone. It needs to be a combination of both. Your arguement incorporates 17 years of recruiting. Don't forget that the storm rorted the cap for years to be able to recruit and retain their players during that era. The current Storm, Broncos and Storm NRL squads are in essence top 4 sides so they have all recruited extremely well at that level.
Munster was offered a contract by the Broncos but opted to go to the Storm - it happens. He was a late developer who had a break out year in 2013. It's a free and open market that is governed by the salary cap in the NYC and NRL so all offers aren't equal depending on the clubs cap position at that time. Roberts and Bird were 2 quality players wanting to go to the Broncos to be under Wayne and he opted to take them. They are both established NRL players who can do the job now and don't need time to be able to perform at that level. As mentioned you need to have a good junior program and also look at all other levels to fill your squad. That's makes for a complete recruitment program.
The NYC is a comp that the good clubs use to produce, develop and make decisions on NRL recruits. The Broncos have more NRL prospects in their NYC team than the others do. They all operate off the same cap!

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • Big Del
  • bert_lifts
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • john1420
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.