2018 NRL Side

Renouf: How Roberts can break my Broncos try-scoring record
Author
Steve Renouf via Email

2018 NRL Fantasy is now open

James Roberts can become the greatest try scorer in Brisbane Broncos history if he gets the support he needs from his inside men.

For mine, and I have suggested this to Wayne Bennett, that also means playing at left centre on the same side of the field as Anthony Milford.

Jimmy can win big games for you, but I don't think the Broncos have played to his strengths.

Steve Renouf
I get excited as soon as I see Jimmy touch the ball. I am on the edge of my seat just waiting for him to explode with that extraordinary power he has in his legs.

Prior to him coming to the Broncos I'd watch him at the Gold Coast Titans because I loved the way he created tries out of nothing.

I thought he would be even better suited here in Brisbane, but I still believe he should be playing on the left side with Milford and not on the right.

Milford needs to keep working on his game, but even when he plays naturally there have been a number of times where he's made half-breaks and is giving it to blokes like Sam Thaiday who are in support, but not going to make the line.

Imagine if Roberts was there. It would be "see you later".

49897_39_1.jpg

Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
I've had a couple of conversations with Wayne about my ideas, and the last one was at the Cox Plate in Melbourne after Australia beat Great Britain in the World Cup.

Brisbane had signed Jack Bird and it was probably the first positive conversation I had with Wayne that they might move Jimmy to the left, because Bird plays on the right.

Jimmy can win big games for you, but I don't think the Broncos have played to his strengths.

Kevin Walters is in charge of the attack at Brisbane now and if I was Kevvie, and Roberts does end up on the left, I'd be pairing him with Milford straight away and saying "this is what happens and this is how we score a try".

Jimmy's instincts comes naturally. If Milford makes half a break he will get himself there in support.

That is what I used to do. Kevvie would give me the ball for a move we would practise, or I would watch him make those half-breaks and be there.

You just have to be alert to it, and that is something I think Roberts and Milford can learn together.

Roberts is only 24 and is signed to the Broncos for the next four years, and in that time he could easily score 70 to 80 tries.

He scored 18 tries last year and if he stays at the Broncos for the next eight seasons I see no reason why he can't average that at least and go past my own record of 142 - if he gets the ball, that is.

robertsj-17072804.jpg

Broncos centre James Roberts.©Brendan Esposito/NRL Photos
The Broncos of the 1990s had a game plan that involved getting a lot of ball to the outside backs. I got a lot of ball I didn't want, but I had to go with it.

That's because Allan Langer, and mostly Kevvie, looked for me. The boys would say "get your arse there Pearl and get this ball into you". They'd make me do my thing.

I have spoken privately to Jimmy about this and he believes he doesn't get enough ball, which comes back to both halves. I don't want him to become like a Justin Hodges who has to get into dummy half and work his backside off to get the ball in his hands.

He can score from a standing start and create something out of nothing so they should be trying to bring him in as much as they can… and get him on that left side. I know I sound like a broken record, remedy is.

Renouf: How Roberts can break my Broncos try-scoring record
Author
Steve Renouf via Email

2018 NRL Fantasy is now open

James Roberts can become the greatest try scorer in Brisbane Broncos history if he gets the support he needs from his inside men.

For mine, and I have suggested this to Wayne Bennett, that also means playing at left centre on the same side of the field as Anthony Milford.

Steve Renouf
I get excited as soon as I see Jimmy touch the ball. I am on the edge of my seat just waiting for him to explode with that extraordinary power he has in his legs.

Prior to him coming to the Broncos I'd watch him at the Gold Coast Titans because I loved the way he created tries out of nothing.

I thought he would be even better suited here in Brisbane, but I still believe he should be playing on the left side with Milford and not on the right.

Milford needs to keep working on his game, but even when he plays naturally there have been a number of times where he's made half-breaks and is giving it to blokes like Sam Thaiday who are in support, but not going to make the line.

Imagine if Roberts was there. It would be "see you later".

49897_39_1.jpg

Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
I've had a couple of conversations with Wayne about my ideas, and the last one was at the Cox Plate in Melbourne after Australia beat Great Britain in the World Cup.

Brisbane had signed Jack Bird and it was probably the first positive conversation I had with Wayne that they might move Jimmy to the left, because Bird plays on the right.

Kevin Walters is in charge of the attack at Brisbane now and if I was Kevvie, and Roberts does end up on the left, I'd be pairing him with Milford straight away and saying "this is what happens and this is how we score a try".

Jimmy's instincts comes naturally. If Milford makes half a break he will get himself there in support.

That is what I used to do. Kevvie would give me the ball for a move we would practise, or I would watch him make those half-breaks and be there.

You just have to be alert to it, and that is something I think Roberts and Milford can learn together.

Roberts is only 24 and is signed to the Broncos for the next four years, and in that time he could easily score 70 to 80 tries.

He scored 18 tries last year and if he stays at the Broncos for the next eight seasons I see no reason why he can't average that at least and go past my own record of 142 - if he gets the ball, that is.

robertsj-17072804.jpg

Broncos centre James Roberts.©Brendan Esposito/NRL Photos
The Broncos of the 1990s had a game plan that involved getting a lot of ball to the outside backs. I got a lot of ball I didn't want, but I had to go with it.

That's because Allan Langer, and mostly Kevvie, looked for me. The boys would say "get your arse there Pearl and get this ball into you". They'd make me do my thing.

I have spoken privately to Jimmy about this and he believes he doesn't get enough ball, which comes back to both halves. I don't want him to become like a Justin Hodges who has to get into dummy half and work his backside off to get the ball in his hands.

He can score from a standing start and create something out of nothing so they should be trying to bring him in as much as they can… and get him on that left side. I know I sound like a broken record, remedy is.

I agree with him. Roberts forming a combination with Milford in such a way would be logical. Could tear teams apart on that left side. The question is who would be the best option for wing outside of Milford and Roberts?

I've always thought Roberts needs a bit more freedom. We would never do it, especially seeing as he is on decent coin, but i think he would be so destructive from the wing. Let him roam a bit like Talanoa said on the other thread, maybe like Radrada did for the eels.

2nd worst front row in the nrl
Worst halfback in the nrl
Milford won't be able to handle responsibility and has lost all his talent
Boyds hamstring has him cooked
Bird isn't even in the top 10 nrl recruits this year and is overweight
Mccullough won't be the same after acl injury
Our forwards are too young
Our team is full of criminals
We haven't won a premiership in 12 bloody years....

Surely, SURELY, this is enough motivation for our team! If any of those players don't put in 100% on the training paddock and on the field every single minute towards winning a premiership they can piss off from my club....

What about the Thaiday fairytale? All aboard The premiership train, Choo Choo.

What about the Thaiday fairytale? All aboard The premiership train, Choo Choo.
I'll jump aboard... but the nrl won't. There is NO WAY the nrl will allow smith-slater-Thurston to retire without at least another 3 premierships between them

Jack Bird stated in an interview on Fox Sports that he doesn't want to take McGuire's spot.

That what was said in the papers wasn't exactly true. At the moment he is happy playing in the centres and eventually does want to move in closer to the ball, but it doesn't sound like he wants to shift to lock while McGuire is there.

Jack Bird stated in an interview on Fox Sports that he doesn't want to take McGuire's spot.

That what was said in the papers wasn't exactly true. At the moment he is happy playing in the centres and eventually does want to move in closer to the ball, but it doesn't sound like he wants to shift to lock while McGuire is there.
Yeah saw something about that but figured he was referring to taking it this year or maybe he has an eye on being a long term second rower.

I still think Bird's best position outside of center would be either second row or fullback. At second row he looks like he'd be a mix of Wade Graham and Luke Lewis

He will be targeted I reckon by refs, Sims will be the enforcer.

I absolutely cannot wait to play the Dragons Rd1. Really excited to see how Hunt v Nikorima comes off.

Bombing it off the kickoff to hunt will be delicious

I absolutely cannot wait to play the Dragons Rd1. Really excited to see how Hunt v Nikorima comes off.

Bombing it off the kickoff to hunt will be delicious

Hunt will have a blinder and cut us to shreds. That's how these first games against previous players goes. Then cue the "wish we offloaded knik instead" calls

Hunt will have a blinder and cut us to shreds. That's how these first games against previous players goes. Then cue the "wish we offloaded knik instead" calls
I do remember Copley absolutely destroying Roberts first time they played (when at Roosters).
Hasn’t happened since.

I do remember Copley absolutely destroying Roberts first time they played (when at Roosters).
Hasn’t happened since.

Same with Corey Norman. He usually wreaks havoc against our left side defence.

Copley was one of those players who with a bit more luck, might have been a career bronco. With injuries and the inevitable drop of form that surrounds them, he was always destined to end up somewhere else. I alway take criticism of someone whose been through those periods of successive injuries as a bit harsh, although I guess from a level-headed and cold calculating sort of way their exit from club has merit. Still, I thought there are really good footballers in both hunt and copley. Unfortunately, we wont probably see it until they are about aged 30 each.

Copley was one of those players who with a bit more luck, might have been a career bronco. With injuries and the inevitable drop of form that surrounds them, he was always destined to end up somewhere else. I alway take criticism of someone whose been through those periods of successive injuries as a bit harsh, although I guess from a level-headed and cold calculating sort of way their exit from club has merit. Still, I thought there are really good footballers in both hunt and copley. Unfortunately, we wont probably see it until they are about aged 30 each.

I really liked Dale too, and yes I think unfortunately his injuries affected his consistency. On his day he was great, but he had some shockers as well. Potential unfulfilled, but unlike a certain Capras signing, not entirely his fault

The unfulfilled potential XIII:

1. Hunt
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Folau
5. Yow Yeh
6. Moon
7. Barnes
8. Webb
9. Lacey
10. Taylor
11. Meyers
12. Timu
13. Te Reo

The unfulfilled potential XIII:

1. Hunt
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Folau
5. Yow Yeh
6. Moon
7. Barnes
8. Webb
9. Lacey
10. Taylor
11. Meyers
12. Timu
13. Te Reo

barnes was one of my all time fave players, even when he switched codes.
such an incredible natural talent with a footy brain up their with the best of them.

Active Now

• Behold
  • The Don
  • kiwibronco
  • broncsgoat
  • johnny plath
  • Fitzy
  • Organix
  • Aldo
  • HarryAllan7
  • Lurker
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dazza 92
  • RolledOates
  • Xzei
  • Nerd
  • Lozza
  • theshed
  • Browny
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Bucking Beads
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.