2018 NRL Side

Kodi Nikorima is fighting to save his career as Brisbane Broncos’ halfback
KODI Nikorima is fighting to save his career as Brisbane’s No. 7 with Wayne Bennett considering axing the Test playmaker — just a fortnight after guaranteeing him the halfback spot all season.
The super coach could be forced into a Bennett backflip after watching his new halves pairing of Anthony Milford and Jack Bird engineer a Warriors boilover in Auckland on Saturday night.
Nikorima missed the 27-18 victory due to a corked thigh, with the successful Bird-Milford alliance leaving him in danger of being demoted for Friday night’s blockbuster against the Storm at Suncorp Stadium.
Bennett has consistently stated that Nikorima is Brisbane’s first-choice No. 7, but Bird’s solid showing at five-eighth could convince the coach to stick with the team that stunned the Warriors.
c14ee4563c9807f6817629e3b545a605

Nikorima is expected to be cleared to return against the Storm. It leaves Bennett two options — demoting him to a supersub role on the bench, or reinstating Nikorima at halfback and returning Bird to a role at left centre.
In the wake of Brisbane’s gutsy defeat of the Warriors, halfback great and respected Fox Sports commentator Greg Alexander called for Bennett to stick with the Bird-Milford scrumbase union.
However, Brisbane skipper Darius Boyd urged Bennett to keep the faith with Nikorima, saying the Kiwi Test livewire deserves to retain the No. 7 jumper made famous by Broncos icon Allan Langer.
“It will be Wayne’s decision I guess but Kodi is a good player and just because of one win I don’t see why things should change,” Boyd said.
“Kodi has won games at halfback for us, too, but it’s a question Wayne will have to answer.
“I don’t think it’s Kodi’s fault that we’ve had an indifferent start to the season. Our forwards haven’t helped him and one win shouldn’t put pressure on him.

“I’d like to see Kodi back in the halves this week, but the coach will make the final call.”
Bennett’s decision will also be tactical. The Broncos coach will study footage of the premiers on Monday to help determine his halves against the Storm team that sent Brisbane crashing out of the title race last year with a 30-0 drubbing.
The Storm have a monster pack led by 200cm monster Nelson Asofa-Solomona and they have previously targeted the 174cm Nikorima in defence.
Bird is a bigger body than Nikorima in the frontline, with Boyd praising the NSW Origin utility’s effort at five-eighth in just his fourth game for the Broncos.
“Jack was really impressive,” Boyd said.
“He came into the halves pretty late (when Nikorima was ruled out) — it wouldn’t have been easy for him.
“Jack is new at our club and he’d only played three games for us coming into the five-eighth role.
“He did his job, he stayed on the ball and when he was needed in defence, he was very solid.”

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k/news-story/8f9d563ffd6f3c26537255a9fbf3b736

While I’m not convinced after just one game that bird is the long term (more then one year) sollution to our halfback problems that performance has convinced me the bloke must be closer to the ball!

He seems keen to always be involved and make things happen and is full of confidence with a surprisingly good short kicking game. Also after re watching the game he defends from the inside out absosultely perfectly. Really suits our defensive structer.

Opacic got quite a lot of ball in the centres, you'd hope that if Bird goes back there, they get the ball to him more too.

Kodi Nikorima is fighting to save his career as Brisbane Broncos’ halfback
KODI Nikorima is fighting to save his career as Brisbane’s No. 7 with Wayne Bennett considering axing the Test playmaker — just a fortnight after guaranteeing him the halfback spot all season.
The super coach could be forced into a Bennett backflip after watching his new halves pairing of Anthony Milford and Jack Bird engineer a Warriors boilover in Auckland on Saturday night.
Nikorima missed the 27-18 victory due to a corked thigh, with the successful Bird-Milford alliance leaving him in danger of being demoted for Friday night’s blockbuster against the Storm at Suncorp Stadium.
Bennett has consistently stated that Nikorima is Brisbane’s first-choice No. 7, but Bird’s solid showing at five-eighth could convince the coach to stick with the team that stunned the Warriors.
c14ee4563c9807f6817629e3b545a605

Nikorima is expected to be cleared to return against the Storm. It leaves Bennett two options — demoting him to a supersub role on the bench, or reinstating Nikorima at halfback and returning Bird to a role at left centre.
In the wake of Brisbane’s gutsy defeat of the Warriors, halfback great and respected Fox Sports commentator Greg Alexander called for Bennett to stick with the Bird-Milford scrumbase union.
However, Brisbane skipper Darius Boyd urged Bennett to keep the faith with Nikorima, saying the Kiwi Test livewire deserves to retain the No. 7 jumper made famous by Broncos icon Allan Langer.
“It will be Wayne’s decision I guess but Kodi is a good player and just because of one win I don’t see why things should change,” Boyd said.
“Kodi has won games at halfback for us, too, but it’s a question Wayne will have to answer.
“I don’t think it’s Kodi’s fault that we’ve had an indifferent start to the season. Our forwards haven’t helped him and one win shouldn’t put pressure on him.

“I’d like to see Kodi back in the halves this week, but the coach will make the final call.”
Bennett’s decision will also be tactical. The Broncos coach will study footage of the premiers on Monday to help determine his halves against the Storm team that sent Brisbane crashing out of the title race last year with a 30-0 drubbing.
The Storm have a monster pack led by 200cm monster Nelson Asofa-Solomona and they have previously targeted the 174cm Nikorima in defence.
Bird is a bigger body than Nikorima in the frontline, with Boyd praising the NSW Origin utility’s effort at five-eighth in just his fourth game for the Broncos.
“Jack was really impressive,” Boyd said.
“He came into the halves pretty late (when Nikorima was ruled out) — it wouldn’t have been easy for him.
“Jack is new at our club and he’d only played three games for us coming into the five-eighth role.
“He did his job, he stayed on the ball and when he was needed in defence, he was very solid.”

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k/news-story/8f9d563ffd6f3c26537255a9fbf3b736
Oh **** off Darius it's plain and simple. Of course daddy will agree with what ever his son wants.... I knew this would happen [emoji36]

Oh **** off Darius it's plain and simple. Of course daddy will agree with what ever his son wants.... I knew this would happen [emoji36]

What's happened? The captain didn't trash his team mate and deferred any decision/responsibility back to the coach.
What else was he supposed to do, publicly say Niko was shite and call for his sacking?

Would like Kodi to go back to QCup. Needs to learn how to defend and control. At moment can’t trust him in even off bench.

Wouldn’t get excited about Bird as long term option yet. One game is small sample size. Still leaves us with problem of missing a halfback just a better running 5/8 than KNik who isn’t a defensive turnstile.

Like to see for rest of season
1. Milf
6. Bird
7. TBA ?Dargan
9. McCullough
14. Knik

Best we can hope for however is
1. Boyd
6. Milf
7. Dargan/TBA
9. McCullough
13. Bird
14. Knik

What's happened? The captain didn't trash his team mate and deferred any decision/responsibility back to the coach.
What else was he supposed to do, publicly say Niko was shite and call for his sacking?
No he didn't have to say anything actually he's not the coach. It's a big indication that Kodi will be back in the halves that's what I'm pissed about.

I think it would be a mistake to change that side. They toughed out a win. I think it would be a bit demoralising tbh for anyone to be dropped when none of them really did anything wrong.

No he didn't have to say anything actually he's not the coach. It's a big indication that Kodi will be back in the halves that's what I'm pissed about.

Yeah, he does. He is the captain and responded to a question and was shitpanned for years for being a **** in front of the media.
Bennett will do exactly what he wants regardless of anything Boyd says.

He was asked a question, he has to answer it. What did you want him to say?

Yeah, he does. He is the captain and responded to a question and was shitpanned for years for being a **** in front of the media.
Bennett will do exactly what he wants regardless of anything Boyd says.
He doesn't have to do anything. Are you a Kodi advocate by any chance? I'm just frustrated mate, it's not personal. Last night's game was just a glimpse of hope. I don't understand why people are jumping on the Kodi train, it's not his fault ect, yeah it's not his fault but I feel Bird is the better way to go. You can make changes without having to Sack someone.

He doesn't have to do anything. Are you a Kodi advocate by any chance? I'm just frustrated mate, it's not personal. Last night's game was just a glimpse of hope. I don't understand why people are jumping on the Kodi train, it's not his fault ect, yeah it's not his fault but I feel Bird is the better way to go. You can make changes without having to Sack someone.

I am firmly for Bird in the halves, doesn't mean you talk nonsense. I'm sick of the fucking tantrums on here. Boyd was asked a question, he answered it the only way a captain can sensibly answer it. His answer has exactly 0 bearing on which way Bennett goes.

I am firmly for Bird in the halves, doesn't mean you talk nonsense. I'm sick of the fucking tantrums on here. Boyd was asked a question, he answered it the only way a captain can sensibly answer it. His answer has exactly 0 bearing on which way Bennett goes.
Wow you call this a tantrum? Why read it if you don't want to read others opinions? What nonsense are you referring to? I don't want Kodi it the halves it's as simple as that

No, I'm all for Bird with Kodi on the bench. I also understand that the captain has to be diplomatic when answering questions on team selection and that WB treads his own path regardless of player comments.

No but he did trash the entire forward pack in saying they haven’t done the job required of them.

Well neither has Kodi. I don’t see why he should be absent from blame when other team mates aren’t. Kodi himself has admittedly publicly he hasn’t been up to scratch in the opening rounds.

Perhaps bringing him back into the game from the bench is the best option. Particularly this week against Melbourne.

Exactly. It's like that question about Kodi and Thaiday directed at Bennett. Of course he's going to say he'll be sticking by the players. He's not going to say "Kodi is there until I find someone better"

If you don't understand the media dance by now, you never will tbh.

No but he did trash the entire forward pack in saying they haven’t done the job required of them.

Well neither has Kodi. I don’t see why he should be absent from blame when other team mates aren’t. Kodi himself has admittedly publicly he hasn’t been up to scratch in the opening rounds.

Perhaps bringing him back into the game from the bench is the best option. Particularly this week against Melbourne.

Because the question was specifically about Kodi. It's a way of sharing the blame IMO That would be my guess anyway.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.