11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Thaiday
15. TPJ
16. Su'a
17. Opacic

Two cents..

Need to make sure the pack is a strong as possible to give the backline enough room. Would be waste to play Bird at lock if he's just going to be used in the middle third as another prop. Reckon it'd leave the forwards too lightweight.

Rest kind of names itself. Opacic as the "utility" on the bench. Good enough defender to play in the backrow at a pinch, can cover centre and wing. Bird can cover halves/lock and Nikorima hooker if there needs to be shuffling mid-game.

Last edited:
The wording kind of led me to thinking it is a current rep

Jesse Ramien from the Sharks would be a decent pick up, had a quick search online and can't find any confirmation of him having a contract for next year anywhere. Jeez will we ever have had this many Blues in the side though? Roberts, Bird, the Pangai brothers, and then Lodge and Taueli if we sign them, plus whoever this new guy is. Haas too.

Jesse Ramien from the Sharks would be a decent pick up, had a quick search online and can't find any confirmation of him having a contract for next year anywhere. Jeez will we ever have had this many Blues in the side though? Roberts, Bird, the Pangai brothers, and then Lodge and Taueli if we sign them, plus whoever this new guy is. Haas too.
I would prefer if our whole team was Queenslanders but I actually think this is a smart move by Bennett and Nolan. The last 10 years it appeared the broncos Queensland players looked up to the like of Thurston, smith and slater so much that they let them beat us before we got on the field. Bird, lodge and Pangai might look up to them players but they don't give a shit if they hit them so hard they are out for 6 months, they won't cop the milking of penalties, and they'll blow up if they get held down to long by smith. It also sends a little message to the other clubs that if they can take from our region their is no reason we can't take from theirs....

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Ofahengaue
9. McCullough
10. Sims
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Thaiday
15. TPJ
16. Su'a
17. Opacic

Two cents..

Need to make sure the pack is a strong as possible to give the backline enough room. Would be waste to play Bird at lock if he's just going to be used in the middle third as another prop. Reckon it'd leave the forwards too lightweight.

Rest kind of names itself. Opacic as the "utility" on the bench. Good enough defender to play in the backrow at a pinch, can cover centre and wing. Bird can cover halves/lock and Nikorima hooker if there needs to be shuffling mid-game.
No point of opacic on bench. Either Mago/lodge or Taueli

I would prefer if our whole team was Queenslanders but I actually think this is a smart move by Bennett and Nolan. The last 10 years it appeared the broncos Queensland players looked up to the like of Thurston, smith and slater so much that they let them beat us before we got on the field. Bird, lodge and Pangai might look up to them players but they don't give a shit if they hit them so hard they are out for 6 months, they won't cop the milking of penalties, and they'll blow up if they get held down to long by smith. It also sends a little message to the other clubs that if they can take from our region their is no reason we can't take from theirs....

Wouldn't New South Wales be winning Origin games if your theory was correct?

First premiership team had four in; O'Neill, Matterson, Johns and Lazarus. Even the first Broncos' team had three in the side. It's not that uncommon.

Wouldn't New South Wales be winning Origin games if your theory was correct?
I can't remember saying "we would beat Queensland with more New South Wales players in our team".... can you show me where I said that?
What I WAS saying was with a few more New South Wales people in our team maybe we would kiss the asses of the future immortals a little bit less...

I can't remember saying "we would beat Queensland with more New South Wales players in our team".... can you show me where I said that?
What I WAS saying was with a few more New South Wales people in our team maybe we would kiss the asses of the future immortals a little bit less...

Yes I got that; so wouldn't New South Wales with 17 New South Welshman be doing that? If Three in the Broncos team are going to improve the side shouldn't 17 be doing it too?

First premiership team had four in; O'Neill, Matterson, Johns and Lazarus. Even the first Broncos' team had three in the side. It's not that uncommon.
I could swear O'Neal was a qlder. He was a bit of a problem child, a bit like Roberts (but atleast Roberts seems to have found the courage to fight his demons). Just looked at O'Neal's wikipedia entry: he was born in NSW but played for qld, both traditional origin and super league origin.

Yes I got that; so wouldn't New South Wales with 17 New South Welshman be doing that? If Three in the Broncos team are going to improve the side shouldn't 17 be doing it too?

What on earth are you talking about?

Locky was simply making the point that having young NSW born players who have grown up hating the QLD greats in our team might be a handy thing to have when it comes to playing against them, as they won't have the same level of respect towards them as young QLD players. It has nothing to do with State of Origin, he's talking about club footy.

NSW players not showing any respect towards our greats in Origin doesn't make a difference, because we have far too many of them and are far too good, but in club footy something as small as that could be the added edge required to beat the Storm / Cowboys.

What on earth are you talking about?

Locky was simply making the point that having young NSW born players who have grown up hating the QLD greats in our team might be a handy thing to have when it comes to playing against them, as they won't have the same level of respect towards them as young QLD players. It has nothing to do with State of Origin, he's talking about club footy.

NSW players not showing any respect towards our greats in Origin doesn't make a difference, because we have far too many of them and are far too good, but in club footy something as small as that could be the added edge required to beat the Storm / Cowboys.

You clearly did know what I was on about because you answered.

A lot of time it works the other way, a trial a few years ago when Klemmer was a rookie he flogged Smith and the Storm were furious and have never forgotten it.

I don't agree with any perceived edge. Bird could have been from anywhere and they wanted him simple as that. You recruit for gaps in your team and price not geography.

Basing recruitment around Smith, Slater and Thurston to win a few games a year seems a bit out there.

This was the 20s origin side this year

1 Nick Meaney (Newcastle Knights)
2 Isaac Lumelume (Cronulla Sharks)
3 Jesse Ramien (Cronulla Sharks)
4 Curtis Scott (Melbourne Storm)
5 Reuben Garrick (St George Illawarra Dragons)
6 Jai Field (St George Illawarra Dragons)
7 Troy Dargan (Parramatta Eels)
8 Emre Guler (Canberra Raiders)
9 Reece Robson (St George Illawarra Dragons)
10 Blake Lawrie (St George Illawarra Dragons)
11 Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
12 Jack Murchie (Canberra Raiders)
13 Nat Butcher (Sydney Roosters)
14 Victor Radley (Sydney Roosters)
15 Ray Stone (Parramatta Eels)
16 Stefano Hala (Penrith Panthers)
17 Billy Magoulias (Cronulla Sharks)
18 Jai Whitbread (Brisbane Broncos

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • leon.bott
  • broncoscope
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.