2018 NRL Side

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The only player in our spine you could argue that has even close to a natural kicking game is McCullough and that is only in play for touchfinders and 40/20 attempts. Nikorima's bombs are directionless and lack variety and Milford much like Hunt's lacks any consistency. I'm hoping Walters can help there but realistically I have my doubts.
I wouldn't say maccas kick is all that natural. He picks great times to kick it long, but far too often he doesn't kick it all that sweetly.

To me he is about 15-20m short on just about every long kick and don't get me started on his short kicking game.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Milf really needs to step up this year, he needs to put in alot of work in the off season.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I wouldn't say maccas kick is all that natural. He picks great times to kick it long, but far too often he doesn't kick it all that sweetly.

To me he is about 15-20m short on just about every long kick and don't get me started on his short kicking game.

Ok perhaps I was being a bit generous in what I said, but honestly I have more faith in what he can do with regards to his kicking game then either of Milford or Nikorima(both need to desperately add more kicking techniques to their game, especially when it comes to putting bombs up). I would be over the moon if Walters could help all three of those players improve their kicking games, but I have my doubts.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Just give KNik the chance now Ash isn't coming back, he will surprise a lot of you.

I'm not writing him off, but I'm not locking him in either. The club has had a long history of halves who have failed to step up after a season or two and a lot of those more naturally gifted and talented then Kodi.

Last edited:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Seriously **** ash Taylor. For the money he wants, **** him. Didn't we sign some junior nsw rep that plays half back? Develop the juniors and work on kodi too.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Just give KNik the chance now Ash isn't coming back, he will surprise a lot of you.

Hard to give him a chance when Bennett himself looked to bring someone else in . Dosent instill to much confidence in him

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
Yes! I agree, Nikorima is a very calm headed playmaker. Doesn't stress, if we can get some sort of kicking game out of him with Milford and Macca sharing the long range kicks. He can be just as good as Hunt. He surprised me already a lot this year, he hasn't declined not one year, every single year Nikorima has been better. Give him a chance!

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Can Jack Bird kick if he is going to play 5/8?

Just have him play as a playmaking type lock and have a monster prop rotation (hopefully with Warmsley) to compensate for the lack of a middle lock. He and Boyd will take pressure off Niko and Milf and allow them to play their natural games. Niko is starting for NZ, so it's not like he's hopeless. He is also leagues better than Taylor with the ball in hand, although Taylor is clearly better kicking.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Nikorima is not good enough to be the permanent 7.
I think he could be... I won't be surprised if he has a great season next year but then there's every chance he won't. He's got the right attitude and is very talented.
Has his kicking game( not that we've seen much of it) been that bad?
I just can't write someone off like Niko, he's got all of the ingredients to really surprise everyone I think, he's worked hard to get himself into this position and I have a feeling he won't waste the opportunity.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I think he could be... I won't be surprised if he has a great season next year but then there's every chance he won't. He's got the right attitude and is very talented.
I just can't write someone off like Niko, he's got all of the ingredients to really surprise everyone I think, he's worked hard to get himself into this position and I have a feeling he won't waste the opportunity.
Yeah I'm with you... out of all the kickers we've got I think Kodi makes the best natural contact with the ball. Can remember the bombs he was putting up last year were just hit so sweetly.

At times his execution let's him down so I'm hoping he channels his inner Cooper Cronk and just spends the entire off season honing his craft and taking everything in. We really really don't need him picking up an injury in this world cup.

2018 is almost unchartered territory for the broncos. It has been a long time since we've gone into a season without a serious figurehead in the halves.

2016 and 2017 we had an established halves pairing
2015 we had Hunt coming in with career best form and easily a top 5 half.
2014 we had Pwall and Prince at least leading the way as figureheads.
2013 and prior we had PWall
2011 and prior we had God

Bennett usually has a plan so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015

Nikorima looks his best coming off the bench playing dummy half. In 2015 he was very good doing this role.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
2018 hasn't even started and some of yous have already made a verdict on Nikorima, typical BHQ

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
2018 hasn't even started and some of yous have already made a verdict on Nikorima, typical BHQ
He played half the season in the halves for us ... it's not like we he has never played there in first grade and we don't know what to expect from him

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Kodi is far from a natural striker of the ball, highlighted in 2017 when putting the ball up a tendency of incorrect contact leading to misdirected kicks(some going out on the full as a result) and has also shown a lack of variety in those kicks to provide difficulty to the opposition.

That's not to say he can't improve his kicking game and I hope Walter's can help him there and to be fair Milford and McCullough need to improve as well.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• maddo
  • Bish
  • GCBRONCO
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.