2018 NRL Side

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
The problem people have with kodi being the long term halfback is he doesn’t fit the typical broncos supporter criteria of either being touted as a future super star or being paid an incredibly high amount of money. Anthony Milford and Ash Taylor for example have huge price tags and have been talked about for years as being the next big thing hence people love them regardless of how they actually perform.

Alex Glenn and Macca however for example have never been viewed as future stars or on big money so at every possible chance they get bagged. Kodi fits into this description of someone who isn’t one of the top 3 halves in the game so people don’t want a bar of him.

Further to this if you look at Milford’s up and down form this year he’s been excused for not been at his best because of his shoulder injury and a constant changing of the spine. However Niko who is playing his first season as an nrl halfback has a few quiet moments and immideietly hes not our 2017 halfback and we need to sign someone new. We could sign Cleary or croft and they could have the worst season ever and People could still find excuses for them purely because of who they are.

I get what your saying but he's gotta only be all of 70kg and 5 foot tall... He can't kick either...

I think it's hard for some people (like myself) to get excited about him because he is our only, and there for best option at 7...

I don't think he was terrible this year. We'll just have to wait and see how he goes.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
That is the problem you face when you have two strong ballrunners but more limited when it comes to directing their team mates around and providing a solid kicking game platform as your 5/8th and your halfback. If you want the more experienced and easily one of highest paid players at the club Milford to focus on his strengths then that means the burden falls on his partner in the halves and I'm not convinced Kodi can carry that burden.

With a proper pre-season for Kodi I don't think it will be a burden at all. He won't have the pressure on him to pull shit out of his arse, he'll just have to direct the forwards and stick to the game plan. Marshall was the one given the directive to bring wisdom and composure to the team when it needed it the most, but for mine Kodi was just as composed despite having a less well-defined role.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
With a proper pre-season for Kodi I don't think it will be a burden at all. He won't have the pressure on him to pull shit out of his arse, he'll just have to direct the forwards and stick to the game plan. Marshall was the one given the directive to bring wisdom and composure to the team when it needed it the most, but for mine Kodi was just as composed despite having a less well-defined role.

The same line of thought was given to Ben Walker after his outstanding effort in 1999, replacing Langer early into the season he was a large factor in why we avoided the spoon that year. The expectations were he would kick it on into 2000, but Ikin replaced him full time after only 11 appearances in that season. This club has had a long history of 5/8ths and halfbacks since 1999 coming through the system who have crashed and burned at the club.

The pressure and demands for Kodi to improve will increase and his role won't be restricted to just directing the forwards around and sticking to the gameplan and while Kodi showed composure in some areas of his game, in others he was found wanting.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
That is the problem you face when you have two strong ballrunners but more limited when it comes to directing their team mates around and providing a solid kicking game platform as your 5/8th and your halfback. If you want the more experienced and easily one of highest paid players at the club Milford to focus on his strengths then that means the burden falls on his partner in the halves and I'm not convinced Kodi can carry that burden.
I agree, but that shouldn't be Milford's cross to bear either.

It's 100% the club's and especially the coach's responsibility to ensure the roster is balanced and fulfills all the club's and team's needs, not the star player.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Cannot like this enough, you have nailed the perception thing perfectly. The reality is we won the vast majority of games when KNik was halfback, that should tell us here is something to that more than just coincidence.

It is very possible Milf and KNik end up failing but they should be definitely given the pre-season and next year together to show one way or the other, just give KNik some backing!
I don't think you'll find a single person on this site that doesn't wish KNik to succeed.

The little bloke is well liked by almost everyone, because of his no nonsense approach to the job, and generally doing as well as he can, while always putting in maximum effort.

However, what applied to Ben Hunt, applies to Kodi. He's not what we need, and his winning streak in games of lesser pressure and difficulty level, shouldn't blind us to this.

Being realistic about this doesn't mean I hope I'm right, because I don't, and hope he can turn into the next Alfie!

P.S. I still see him as a potentially great fullback.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I am seriously worried that this mentality of forcing Milford to become an organiser and kicker because of his price tag, will instead detract from his real strengths, which are his running game, support play and short passing / grubbering at the line.
Seriously if all Milford has is a running game and slightly above average short kicking game then broncos have dead set backed the wrong horse.

Halves need to have more than a running game nowadays and if Milf doesn't develop his game he can kiss the game goodbye at the end of his contract, because his speed will diminish over time and the game will pass him by. You're basically hoping that he becomes a poor man's Benji.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Milford hit more legs with his short kicks in 2017 than Hunt did in 2016 and Hunt set up more tries from short kicks than Milford did but Milford has an above average short kicking game? Where's this coming from?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Milford hit more legs with his short kicks in 2017 than Hunt did in 2016 and Hunt set up more tries from short kicks than Milford did but Milford has an above average short kicking game? Where's this coming from?
I dare say he led the team in forced dropouts.

SLIGHTLY above average is nothing to write home about and is my point that if he is pigeonholed into being a runner/ support player than he will amount to next to nothing at the end of his career.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't think you'll find a single person on this site that doesn't wish KNik to succeed.

The little bloke is well liked by almost everyone, because of his no nonsense approach to the job, and generally doing as well as he can, while always putting in maximum effort.

However, what applied to Ben Hunt, applies to Kodi. He's not what we need, and his winning streak in games of lesser pressure and difficulty level, shouldn't blind us to this.

Being realistic about this doesn't mean I hope I'm right, because I don't, and hope he can turn into the next Alfie!

P.S. I still see him as a potentially great fullback.

All of these points are completely valid as opinion but to be frank, we haven't really given KNik the backing he needs to see if he COULD be what we need. He hasn't had a full preseason at halfback, he hasn't played a full season at halfback and the first sign of him struggling at halfback, we benched him. How is he supposed to improve if we bench him every time he is having a quiet game?

I also agree he could be a genuine gun fullback but as long as Boyd is around, that is extremely unlikely to eve happen, plus I also rate Allan very, very highly.

As for the being realistic thing, this is the buzz word that sounds better than the actual real word that should be used - pessimistic.

Now, I am not saying I am being realistic, I'm being the very definition of optimistic and with good reason, in my opinion KNik has shown that he gels very well with Milf and in the absence of having a gun halfback with a great long kicking game (and the price tag to match), that is EXACTLY what we need.

And like it or not, Milf is on the money that means he MUST be the Johns/Lockyer/Thurston/Cronk/Maloney/DCE/Pearce of the side, otherwise why the heck are we paying him so much?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Seriously if all Milford has is a running game and slightly above average short kicking game then broncos have dead set backed the wrong horse.

Halves need to have more than a running game nowadays and if Milf doesn't develop his game he can kiss the game goodbye at the end of his contract, because his speed will diminish over time and the game will pass him by. You're basically hoping that he becomes a poor man's Benji.

Well said indeed, you pretty much summed up my point above far more succinctly.

PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
Darius done for 3 more years

Thoughts ?

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Fucking hell 2 years that’s ok, 3 years pushing it but bloody 4 years that’s bullshit especially if he’s playing FB the whole time.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
I get what your saying but he's gotta only be all of 70kg and 5 foot tall... He can't kick either...

I think it's hard for some people (like myself) to get excited about him because he is our only, and there for best option at 7...

I don't think he was terrible this year. We'll just have to wait and see how he goes.
You sound so clueless. HAHA! 70kg and 5 foot tall. The last time we said a players to skinny or small we lost Thurston.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
He played half the season in the halves for us ... it's not like we he has never played there in first grade and we don't know what to expect from him
He didn't train last pre-season as a halfback, this will be his first. Yeah we know what we're going to get a top four finish because that's what Milford and Nikorima did for us this year.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.