2018 NRL Side

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
Kodi is far from a natural striker of the ball, highlighted in 2017 when putting the ball up a tendency of incorrect contact leading to misdirected kicks(some going out on the full as a result) and has also shown a lack of variety in those kicks to provide difficulty to the opposition.

That's not to say he can't improve his kicking game and I hope Walter's can help him there and to be fair Milford and McCullough need to improve as well.

Mcollough?, why does he have to improve this was his best season until Blair fucked him up. He was making line breaks, 4/20s like he usually does for us, Trys from dummy half, he had a top year in my perspective and i hope he continues to play like that.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Mcollough?, why does he have to improve this was his best season until Blair fucked him up. He was making line breaks, 4/20s like he usually does for us, Trys from dummy half, he had a top year in my perspective and i hope he continues to play like that.

It seems clear that GC was talking about kicking.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
He played half the season in the halves for us ... it's not like we he has never played there in first grade and we don't know what to expect from him

He didn't get a decent crack at it. So much chopping and changing during the year. Swapping him out before kick off etc. give him a pre season with Walters running exclusively at half back. He'll grow immensely

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
Being able to kick a 40/20 isn't the be all and end all. He's not a regular kicker, so he would need more practice doing it.

Because hes not a halfback/five eight hes jobs not to always kick

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Kodi is far from a natural striker of the ball, highlighted in 2017 when putting the ball up a tendency of incorrect contact leading to misdirected kicks(some going out on the full as a result) and has also shown a lack of variety in those kicks to provide difficulty to the opposition.

That's not to say he can't improve his kicking game and I hope Walter's can help him there and to be fair Milford and McCullough need to improve as well.

Not sure what the go was with Macca but he shanked quite a few of those kicks.

He also needs to pick his moments better. He was kicking at the wrong time for a few of those and the winger was already back waiting for it.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
I see he could work on kicking inside the 10 for a winger, center to go in and score like smith does but that not always gonna happen milf has a good short kicking game as well to do that.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Not sure what the go was with Macca but he shanked quite a few of those kicks.

He also needs to pick his moments better. He was kicking at the wrong time for a few of those and the winger was already back waiting for it.
Picking his moments comes down to game plan and talk amongst the group leaders on the paddock. Macca, Milf, Hunt, Niko all can kick ok and run the ball and put support players through gaps etc but for some reason it appears as though everything is ad-Lib. Macca has a nice boot on him but like you say needs to pick his moments and to me that means set plays.
I wish we saw more set plays from Macca re kicking from dummy half. It would to me, ensure some consistency.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
WB might bring the Pommie half or Blake Green could become available as a stop gap. I just can’t see Knik as the 5th best junior half we had being 5he solution. He has strengths but not sure if halfback is the go for us.

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
The problem people have with kodi being the long term halfback is he doesn’t fit the typical broncos supporter criteria of either being touted as a future super star or being paid an incredibly high amount of money. Anthony Milford and Ash Taylor for example have huge price tags and have been talked about for years as being the next big thing hence people love them regardless of how they actually perform.

Alex Glenn and Macca however for example have never been viewed as future stars or on big money so at every possible chance they get bagged. Kodi fits into this description of someone who isn’t one of the top 3 halves in the game so people don’t want a bar of him.

Further to this if you look at Milford’s up and down form this year he’s been excused for not been at his best because of his shoulder injury and a constant changing of the spine. However Niko who is playing his first season as an nrl halfback has a few quiet moments and immideietly hes not our 2017 halfback and we need to sign someone new. We could sign Cleary or croft and they could have the worst season ever and People could still find excuses for them purely because of who they are.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
WB might bring the Pommie half or Blake Green could become available as a stop gap. I just can’t see Knik as the 5th best junior half we had being 5he solution. He has strengths but not sure if halfback is the go for us.

He has obviously got someone in mind just seems to be
The problem people have with kodi being the long term halfback is he doesn’t fit the typical broncos supporter criteria of either being touted as a future super star or being paid an incredibly high amount of money. Anthony Milford and Ash Taylor for example have huge price tags and have been talked about for years as being the next big thing hence people love them regardless of how they actually perform.

Alex Glenn and Macca however for example have never been viewed as future stars or on big money so at every possible chance they get bagged. Kodi fits into this description of someone who isn’t one of the top 3 halves in the game so people don’t want a bar of him.

Further to this if you look at Milford’s up and down form this year he’s been excused for not been at his best because of his shoulder injury and a constant changing of the spine. However Niko who is playing his first season as an nrl halfback has a few quiet moments and immideietly hes not our 2017 halfback and we need to sign someone new. We could sign Cleary or croft and they could have the worst season ever and People could still find excuses for them purely because of who they are.

Um no ! Its because of his deficiencies

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't subscribe to the view that in order to be a successful playmaker at the club you need to be a superstar. Go back to 2006 and look at the contribution Shane Perry made to the side by complimenting Lockyer without negatively impacting on the champion 5/8th's brilliance. Solid contributions as a playmaking and a kicking game to compliment your go to man takes pressure off that player to be more selective and creative in their attacking input. IMO Milford would benefit hugely from having such a player to handle those duties.

I was impressed with how Kodi handled the challenge when he was playing halfback in 2017, showed good attitude and enthusiasm, loved his willingness to attack the line and showed a willingness to use his backrowers.

That being said my concern for our halves is that both Milford and Nikorima are very similar in style but don't really compliment each other in key areas that are of concern. Milford is on the big bucks so the expectation burden will largely be on him to deliver the goods, that being said Kodi has to stake his claim in 2018 as it's pretty clear from the club demonstrating the desire to get Taylor back to the club that they don't want to put all their eggs in one basket. I'm not expecting him to be a superstar, I want to see improvement in the areas such as his kicking game that are of concern. He will need to give them a reason to keep him there otherwise the club will look elsewhere.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I don't subscribe to the view that in order to be a successful playmaker at the club you need to be a superstar. Go back to 2006 and look at the contribution Shane Perry made to the side by complimenting Lockyer without negatively impacting on the champion 5/8th's brilliance. Solid contributions as a playmaking and a kicking game to compliment your go to man takes pressure off that player to be more selective and creative in their attacking input. IMO Milford would benefit hugely from having such a player to handle those duties.

I was impressed with how Kodi handled the challenge when he was playing halfback in 2017, showed good attitude and enthusiasm, loved his willingness to attack the line and showed a willingness to use his backrowers.

That being said my concern for our halves is that both Milford and Nikorima are very similar in style but don't really compliment each other in key areas that are of concern. Milford is on the big bucks so the expectation burden will largely be on him to deliver the goods, that being said Kodi has to stake his claim in 2018 as it's pretty clear from the club demonstrating the desire to get Taylor back to the club that they don't want to put all their eggs in one basket. I'm not expecting him to be a superstar, I want to see improvement in the areas such as his kicking game that are of concern. He will need to give them a reason to keep him there otherwise the club will look elsewhere.
I am seriously worried that this mentality of forcing Milford to become an organiser and kicker because of his price tag, will instead detract from his real strengths, which are his running game, support play and short passing / grubbering at the line.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I am seriously worried that this mentality of forcing Milford to become an organiser and kicker because of his price tag, will instead detract from his real strengths, which are his running game, support play and short passing / grubbering at the line.

I think with Walters back he will hopefully make sure that doesn't happen.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

That is the problem you face when you have two strong ballrunners but more limited when it comes to directing their team mates around and providing a solid kicking game platform as your 5/8th and your halfback. If you want the more experienced and easily one of highest paid players at the club Milford to focus on his strengths then that means the burden falls on his partner in the halves and I'm not convinced Kodi can carry that burden.

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Cannot like this enough, you have nailed the perception thing perfectly. The reality is we won the vast majority of games when KNik was halfback, that should tell us here is something to that more than just coincidence.

It is very possible Milf and KNik end up failing but they should be definitely given the pre-season and next year together to show one way or the other, just give KNik some backing!

Unread

Active Now

• marw
  • Manofoneway
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.