2018 NRL Side

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Opacic is unbelievably overrated on here for some reason, he's been solid at best when he's played and isn't necessarily that young anymore, Jack Bird is younger.

I think the best option is still Bird at left centre, McGuire at prop and TPJ at lock.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Opacic is unbelievably overrated on here for some reason, he's been solid at best when he's played and isn't necessarily that young anymore, Jack Bird is younger.

I think the best option is still Bird at left centre, McGuire at prop and TPJ at lock.

TPJ's fitness is nowhere near the level required to start ... for the time being he needs to stay an impact player of the bench

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
TPJ's fitness is nowhere near the level required to start ... for the time being he needs to stay an impact player of the bench

You've got an understanding of his fitness levels 5 months before the season starts? Fair effort mate.

Not everyone goes full Milf in the off-season ya'know.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

Not sure i'd say he is overrated tbh. He has shown he is a reliable, capable player, who has at times shown enough potential in his game that he was able to get the better of the current best centre going around, and doing all this with a busted shoulder. He only 23, so hardly getting on, and is only 6 or 7 months older than Bird. 23 i believe is the age most players start getting their chances in the NRL. I'm not and never have said he is the answer, but i'd like to see what he is made of injury free. Also, these days you dont get teams full of superstars so you need players like Opacic who are solid and reliable.

On your other point, TPJ is nowhere near a starting lock. He doesnt have the fitness yet. Bird isnt coming here to play centre. Long term, he is coming to play lock, but he may start at center. I honestly think people are kidding themselves if they think he left Cronulla just to keep playing centre.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I can only see Opacic being a back up centre, he was our only back up centre this year so Bennett couldn’t release him and same goes for next if Bird plays centre.

Bennett doesnt keep players who dont want to be here, and he doesnt keep players he doesnt want either. I can tell you for a fact we didnt make much of an attempt to keep Moga. If Tom wanted to leave, and also i know for fact he could have, then Bennett would have let him go because thats how he works. He could quite easily have moved to either of the last two premiers for a start, the offers were on the table. Unlike others, he didnt chase the money because he wants to be a Bronco.

As for him being backup center, yep, he was. Problem is though, you neglect to mention how him playing through injury last season basically cost him any chance of competing for a spot which if he was injury free he would have had first shot at. He could have had his operation and been ready for the start of last season. He chose to put the team first even though he knew it would stuff up his chance at starting this season injury free, and then unluckily for him stuffed up his other a shoulder in a game he really shouldnt have been playing in but had to because of Roberts stupidity. Things like that go a long way with Bennett and go a long way with his team mates. Like i said before, he wants to be a Bronco. He trained for nothing to earn a contract, he used to travel over 600 klms a week to get to training and he turned down the chance to earn a hell of a lot more money as well. Better judges of players than you seem to think he has a very good chance of establishing himself in the NRL.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
You've got an understanding of his fitness levels 5 months before the season starts? Fair effort mate.

Not everyone goes full Milf in the off-season ya'know.

I agree to some extent, but match fitness is a different beast.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I like TPJ, but i just cant see him being a starting lock anytime soon.

Based on what exactly? The fact that he's only ever been required to play off the bench?

Players change body types at the drop of a hat, McGuire dropped a bunch of weight in the off-season when he heard he was shifting to Lock, I haven't seen anything that says Pangai would be incapable of dropping a few kegs and increasing his aerobic fitness to a league average standard over the off-season and pre-season. Unless there's been documented concerns about his work ethic at training that I've missed.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Based on what exactly? The fact that he's only ever been required to play off the bench?

Players change body types at the drop of a hat, McGuire dropped a bunch of weight in the off-season when he heard he was shifting to Lock, I haven't seen anything that says Pangai would be incapable of dropping a few kegs and increasing his aerobic fitness to a league average standard over the off-season and pre-season. Unless there's been documented concerns about his work ethic at training that I've missed.

I wouldnt say TPJ is lazy or has a poor work ethic, but from what i hear he needs to up his work rate. He isnt pushing himself as much as Bennett probably is looking for

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012

Moose also could and did play big minutes at prop. Nearing 60 at times if I’m not mistaken. Add the years of first grade experience and being smaller than TPJ already and it was an easier transition to make.

I don’t see TPJ dropping too much weight from where he is now so it’s mostly aerobic fitness and it’s tough to balance the need for him to gain that fitness and keep the defence weakness-free. He just needs to incrementally build this coming year, especially coming of a bit of an injury-interrupted season, and have his big year in ‘19. If it happens next year though, then that’s even better.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I wouldnt say TPJ is lazy or has a poor work ethic, but from what i hear he needs to up his work rate. He isnt pushing himself as much as Bennett probably is looking for

He had some very lazy habits for Souths. He was the target for a few teams that noted he wouldn't come across and just turned in. If you got him to make one effort you'd go back there.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
He had some very lazy habits for Souths. He was the target for a few teams that noted he wouldn't come across and just turned in. If you got him to make one effort you'd go back there.

I meant more in terms of his attitude towards training.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
because Mead is shit, Kahu is very valuable on the wing (and less likely to be injured) and Tommy O is a quality center. just needs an injury free run to show what he is capable of. we saw a bit of what he could do at the end of 2016 (and that was with a busted shoulder)

Solid member of the forum though. Even won an award.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Moose also could and did play big minutes at prop. Nearing 60 at times if I’m not mistaken. Add the years of first grade experience and being smaller than TPJ already and it was an easier transition to make.

I don’t see TPJ dropping too much weight from where he is now so it’s mostly aerobic fitness and it’s tough to balance the need for him to gain that fitness and keep the defence weakness-free. He just needs to incrementally build this coming year, especially coming of a bit of an injury-interrupted season, and have his big year in ‘19. If it happens next year though, then that’s even better.

McGuire played 80 multiple times at prop & played better when he did.

TPJ I’m guessing is a year or two away from starting and 3-4 years away from starting to reach his potential. That’s based on the how similar players have developed but there’s nothing to say TPJ won’t get there faster. Or slower.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Just a question why does everyone have opacic in there team i think our best backline is
1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Kahu
5. Mead
We need to use Roberts and Mead they are so dominant together

Mead sucked overall this season. He had one good game early on, got a contract extension then derped it up every other time. Don't want to bring it up but semi put 4 tries on him and left him in the dust for speed.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Anyone who thinks mead should be a starting winger should be watching png play

Active Now

• Xzei
  • leon.bott
  • Aldo
  • Alec
  • broncsgoat
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • lakers133334
  • Fozz
  • Big Del
  • Broncos Maestro
  • BroncoFan94
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.