2018 NRL Side

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
I've never considered this before but do players get full physical exams during negotiations with other clubs?
Yep, do the medical before any contract is signed. He would have had to disclose any existing and old injuries for insurance reasons also.
Id say Bennett was also hoping the rest would do the trick, otherwise he would have made sure he was in surgery the day after his season ended.
Seems strange though that they all took this gamble?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'm sure the Broncos would have known about this problem before. I doubt the Sharks would have been hiding it and the Broncos just realised now, it would make us look very incompetent. Bird obviously knew about it too, was he hiding it too? I dunno why it took so long, but I'm sure we would have known about this for a while now.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
Out of the blue I know, but whatever happened to Zach Strasser?

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
So.......is anybody else concerned that we are really low on backup halves? Particularly considering Milf may miss the start of the season, Bird is missing the start of the season........what happens if Niko gets injured playing for NZ?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
And Troy Dargan and Mitch Cronin. What's Matt Minto doing next year?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
BRISBANE’S marquee signing Jack Bird is in doubt for round one with the 22-year-old booked in for surgery on Thursday.

Bird will head under the knife to fix ligament damage in his shoulder which will sideline him for three to four months.
Bird travelled to Brisbane last week to meet with their medical team when it was decided the injury needed addressing.
Brisbane high performance manager Jeremy Hickmans revealed to foxsports.com.au that the NSW Origin star needs a partial reconstruction.

The 22-year-old damaged his shoulder late in the season while playing Canberra, while he returned to finish the year the damage requires surgery to fix.
“He’s got some ligament damage in his shoulder,” Hickmans said.
“We’re not 100 per cent sure how it came about. The timeline with him having been at a different club, it could’ve been exacerbated through the finals.

“We brought him in for a check-up and we feel it’s something that needs doing.
“We don’t have 100 per cent (clarity on how bad it is) until he gets the surgery and we’ll get a lot more details on it that way.
“We’re looking at those three to four months which will take us through to the start of the season.”
The Broncos kick their season off against St George Illawarra on March 8 at UOW Jubilee Stadium.
A Dragons junior, Bird climbed the ranks including the NYC before moving to the Sharks where he made his first grade debut.
Bird signed a three-year-deal with the Broncos back in April worth almost $1 million a season.
As their star signing, the Broncos medical staff are hopeful the will be fully fit to take the field in the season opener but the trials look unlikely.
“We’ll know after surgery (on Thursday),” Hickmans said.
“We’re probably planning on him being available for round one. If we get any trials in that will be a bonus.”
The 2015 Dally M rookie of the year was reluctant to have the surgery, not wanting to sacrifice his first pre-season with the club for rehab.
However after officials insisted he have the operation, Hickmans is confident Bird’s 2018 season will benefit in the long run.
“Initially it will,” Hickmans said when asked if the surgery will impact on his pre-season preparations.
“That was one of Jack’s biggest concerns when he came up. He wanted to come to a new club and be in the best possible shape he can. That was one of the reasons we did our in-depth check with him.
“In the long-term it’s going to be better for him and that’s the conversation we had.
“He wasn’t too keen to do it coming to a new club but it needed doing so we’ll get it done and bite the bullet.
“The good thing with shoulders is you can get running pretty quickly. Getting that running volume and fitness, we can do that. He was pretty limited in the gym as it was so we’ll be able to chase that in time.”
Bird is expected to play lock for the Broncos next year although can play fullback, centre and five-eighth.
Round 1 still a chance but the long lay off will hamper his ability to put on size if he were to play lock next year.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
It just goes to show the toughness of this bloke, to play a chunk of the season with a fucked shoulder and not even show signs of it in the back end of the season.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
It just goes to show the toughness of this bloke, to play a chunk of the season with a fucked shoulder and not even show signs of it in the back end of the season.

Same boat as Milford I guess.

Will be nice if they're both 100% healthy & fit come Round 1.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013

Absolutely no doubt Bird is tough......he also the played most of the grand final with a busted arm when he hyper extended his right elbow.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Grow up.
Shoulder injury those that know thought would repair itself with rest.
Didn’t happen and now needs surgery.
Be ok in the long run, nobody’s fault - accept it.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Sounds like the club is confident of a round 1 return. The media just loves a beat up. They used this as another chance to beat on this kid and i also noticed now their saying his contract is almost a million a year. Long story short the media is full of shit, when it comes to the Broncos.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Brocko
  • Galah
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • bb_gun
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Allo
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • rj9
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.