2018 NRL Side

Pretty sure he didn’t leave because he wasn’t wanted or talented, he wanted to experience life overseas if I remember rightly.

‘He’ ruined him. Manly weren’t going to get rid of Ballin just like we weren’t getting rid of McCullough. He could have stayed here and develop a decent career as a super-sub but no. Someone got in his ear and told him he would be a superstar elsewhere.

Now he isn’t even playing NRL.

Should be illuminating to those who think the grass is greener elsewhere...

so if your current employer offers you a base deal of say 100k and another employer comes in and doubles that or triples that would you stay? he has the ability to set himself up for life.
footy players dont have 30yr careers so they meed to earn while they can during the 10yr window.
are you going to top up his salary after football?
and from the footage the past 12 months he is going pretty damn good in the uk and also experiencing a life majority would be very jealous of - he is being paid very well to play sport in the uk and living on the doorstep of europe.
ill trade my job anyday of the week for his.
the grass he is chewing right now looks pretty green to me.

Pretty sure he didn’t leave because he wasn’t wanted or talented, he wanted to experience life overseas if I remember rightly.
Not to mention a payrise and a chance to be a starter. From where I'm sitting, he is doing pretty well indeed.

‘He’ ruined him. Manly weren’t going to get rid of Ballin just like we weren’t getting rid of McCullough. He could have stayed here and develop a decent career as a super-sub but no. Someone got in his ear and told him he would be a superstar elsewhere.

Ballin wasn't at Manly when Parcell was there.

That's not true, he wasn't offered a top 25 contract by the Broncos. It was going to be another year or years of ISC and hopefully a handful of games if someone was injured and the second cap allowed it. He had done his time in ISC and thought he was ready for an NRL career- rightfully so. He would have stayed in Brisbane if offered a contract.

Manly offered him a top 25 contract and a NRL chance he wasn't going to get here so he took it. Turned out Barrett didn't think too much of him so agreed to release him and he took the chance up overseas.

so if your current employer offers you a base deal of say 100k and another employer comes in and doubles that or triples that would you stay? he has the ability to set himself up for life.
footy players dont have 30yr careers so they meed to earn while they can during the 10yr window.
are you going to top up his salary after football?
and from the footage the past 12 months he is going pretty damn good in the uk and also experiencing a life majority would be very jealous of - he is being paid very well to play sport in the uk and living on the doorstep of europe.
ill trade my job anyday of the week for his.
the grass he is chewing right now looks pretty green to me.

That depends entirely on what your goal is. If your goal is to be a starting NRL player than it isn’t the slightest bit green...

That's not true, he wasn't offered a top 25 contract by the Broncos. It was going to be another year or years of ISC and hopefully a handful of games if someone was injured and the second cap allowed it. He had done his time in ISC and thought he was ready for an NRL career- rightfully so. He would have stayed in Brisbane if offered a contract.

Manly offered him a top 25 contract and a NRL chance he wasn't going to get here so he took it. Turned out Barrett didn't think too much of him so agreed to release him and he took the chance up overseas.

Ballin was when Parcell signed... He had just signed a multi-year extension in fact...

Ballin was when Parcell signed... He had just signed a multi-year extension in fact...

Then released 20 minutes later. As I said he was never at Manly when Parcell was there.

Parcell had done everything he could in the ISC. Four years is enough. If a top 25 deal comes up he was right to take it.

Your whole story was a complete fabrication.

Was it a case of us not offering him a contract because he’s too good to play 10 off the bench for ~10 games a year or whatever and thus a waste of both parties time?

That depends entirely on what your goal is. If your goal is to be a starting NRL player than it isn’t the slightest bit green...

you are off the mark about parcell. he got his chance elsewhere and is now reaping the rewards.
as @1910 noted he did his time in cup and wasnt offered a top 25 deal with the broncos so what is he supposed to do?

Then released 20 minutes later. As I said he was never at Manly when Parcell was there.

Parcell had done everything he could in the ISC. Four years is enough. If a top 25 deal comes up he was right to take it.

Your whole story was a complete fabrication.

Show where I said he was at Manly at the same time as Ballin...

As for complete fabrications, I’ll bow to your demonstrated experience in those matters. Parcell signed with Manly in July 2015. Ballin was released in November 2015.

Not quite ‘20 minutes...’

As I recall, Api had also signed as a hooker with Manly before Ballin was released...

you are off the mark about parcell. he got his chance elsewhere and is now reaping the rewards.
as @1910 noted he did his time in cup and wasnt offered a top 25 deal with the broncos so what is he supposed to do?

And I say good on him. I don’t have an issue with him doing so, but the path he has chosen hasn’t led to a starting gig in the NRL which is the point on which this discussion started, nor even a bench role in a starting 25 in the NRL...

So it could hardly be seen as a solid recommendation for others intent on an NRL gig, which was my sole point.

And I say good on him. I don’t have an issue with him doing so, but the path he has chosen hasn’t led to a starting gig in the NRL which is the point on which this discussion started, nor even a bench role in a starting 25 in the NRL...

So it could hardly be seen as a solid recommendation for others intent on an NRL gig, which was my sole point.

Your intention was to paint him as some washed up ruined rocker that made terrible calls but could have been at Brisbane if he hadn't chased greener grass after bad advice.

He couldn't have been at Brisbane. They couldn't give him a top 25 contract.

He would have been at the Jets and maybe getting games for Brisbane if the cap space was there; in 2015 he couldn't play anymore games for Brisbane because the second cap was full. Same thing could have happened if he stayed.

How long do you think a guy should play ISC waiting for a spot at Brisbane? Given Manly offered a top 25 contract.

Manly was the right option but then things didn't go to well with Barrett so he took another option. I hardly think he is ruined.

Show where I said he was at Manly at the same time as Ballin...

As for complete fabrications, I’ll bow to your demonstrated experience in those matters. Parcell signed with Manly in July 2015. Ballin was released in November 2015.

Not quite ‘20 minutes...’

As I recall, Api had also signed as a hooker with Manly before Ballin was released...

So why claim they would never release Ballin? They did. It makes no sense in your reasons leaving Brisbane was a bad move. Ballin wasn't there.

Was it a case of us not offering him a contract because he’s too good to play 10 off the bench for ~10 games a year or whatever and thus a waste of both parties time?

They were happy with McCullough and Nikorima so the best Parcell was going to get was Jets and maybe a few games if injuries and cap space allowed.

So he took the Manly top 25 option.

Can we talk about how he failed at Manly? What were the reasons behind Barrett not thinking much of him? He didn't really have a lot ahead of him there so he should have flourished there. Instead he's flourishing in a second rate comp and really proving nothing. The fact that so many NRL reserves go over there and look amazing shows how good it really is over there.

English forwards are of a much higher quality than their backs. Doing well there is more impressive than doing well in the backs or halves.

English forwards are of a much higher quality than their backs. Doing well there is more impressive than doing well in the backs or halves.
Giant, hard running English forwards are much higher quality. Hooker is a completely different position to the rest of the forwards. You won't find many props playing over there for the holiday opportunities.

For those of you struggling to identify the new guys in the group, I’ve put some names to the faces for you.

Tom Burgess

IMG 3107

Ben Hannant

IMG 3104

Steve Michaels

IMG 3106

Sika Manu

IMG 3095

Bruno Cullen & Corey Parker

IMG 3101

Unread

Active Now

• Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • marw
  • broncos4life
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.