2019 Broncos Line-up

Just gotta wait for a new rookie to come in, and then you'll be dropping them too.

giphy.gif

1 Prop, 2 second rowers and a utility. If TPJ is being used as a 3rd Prop as Seibold says, that means all three can share the load and play longer minutes. 2 second rowers on the bench are a must until we know for sure what Gillett's situation is and Staggs has done more than enough to justify not being dropped for someone like Mago or Taga.

I dont see us carrying 2 back rowers on the bench plus Staggs who can play there as well. I see it more like 2 props, one back rower and it appears Seibold will use a utility. I think its going to be Haas, Glenn or Fifita, Carrigan/Mago/Taga and Staggs. I'd Prefer Carrigan, Haas, Tagatese and Glenn or Fifita.

I dont see us carrying 2 back rowers on the bench plus Staggs who can play there as well. I see it more like 2 props, one back rower and it appears Seibold will use a utility. I think its going to be Haas, Glenn or Fifita, Carrigan/Mago/Taga and Staggs. I'd Prefer Carrigan, Haas, Tagatese and Glenn or Fifita.
I think you're correct but if I were picking a bench it would be Taga and Haas, Fifita and Glenn. At least for round one. I would have faith too in Taga and Lodge starting but that's predicated on the belief a rejuvenated Taga will kill it in the trials and throughout the year. My bench for round one would be balanced with two highly experienced campaigners and two rookies jumping out of their skins.

Lodge kept honest by Broncos young brigade
Updated 3 hours ago
A NSW State of Origin debut may beckon but prop Matt Lodge reckons earning an NRL starting spot in 2019 will be hard enough thanks to Brisbane's young brigade.
In a remarkable comeback, the 23-year-old Lodge is in line to make his Origin debut this year after taking part in an Emerging Blues training camp in Sydney last month.
Lodge revealed Blues coach Brad Fittler told him a maiden Origin jumper was on the cards if he maintained his stunning form for the Broncos.
Thrown an NRL lifeline by the Broncos after an infamous 2015 New York rampage, Lodge played all 25 of Brisbane's games in a stellar 2018 return to catch Fittler's eye.
Lodge was expected to be one of the first forwards picked by new Broncos coach Anthony Seibold for round one after the departure of Sam Thaiday (retirement), Josh McGuire (North Queensland) and Korbin Sims (St George Illawarra).
But Lodge said the emergence of Broncos young guns Payne Haas, Pat Carrigan and Tom Flegler at Red Hill had ensured he was not taking a starting front-row spot for granted in 2019, let alone an Origin debut.
"We've got Payne, Patty Carrigan, Tom Flegler and heaps coming through and I am confident they are not just going to do a job, but do it well," Lodge said.
"It is good for me and I encourage them. If they play better they get the starting jersey.
"Whoever is playing the best footy is who we want out there. I think the coach is about that.
"If the young guys are doing well no doubt the team will be going well."
Still, Lodge is quietly confident of a NSW nod if he maintains his rich vein of form since controversially agreeing to sign with Brisbane under then coach Wayne Bennett in 2018.
Lodge was booed at season's start upon his return from his drunken US attack but is now a Brisbane fan favourite, recently earning a two-year Broncos contract extension.
Another reward was his recent run at the Blues training camp, receiving glowing praise from Fittler.
"It was probably good for me just knowing that I wasn't ruled out of playing (for Origin) because of my past," Lodge said.
"It was good to get down with those top players and back in that group.
"I haven't been there for a while so it is good to see what they are doing differently and how they are preparing, and how Brad Fittler organises the Origin team - it gives you something to work towards."

Source: SBS

Interesting to note he rates Carrigan and Flegler. Good things must be happening at training.

I know a few Dragons fans which helps burn my passion for giving them a floggin. We have several great matchups to look forward to this year. I can't wait!
Plenty of revenge to dish up

Maybe Harrigan got away without controversy this time because brisbane dominated and won by close to thirty points. Can you imagine the outrage over thst try if we only won by two points in a grandfinal. People forget...msybe too young.. at how much outrage there was when a correct try was not given or a no try was awarded as a try. Thats why the video ref was introduced. ..becsuse officials were getting it wrong often...it wasn't just a brain fart where some one said the refs are going great but let's bring in another level of help.
Exactly. There's actually nothing wrong with the system it is the numptys running and using the system that spoil it for everyone. What we need from the referees and its boss is clarity, confidence, transparency and accountability.
Ref the game to the rules, take charge of a match and the narrative around it, stop letting them be dictated to by the media. Refs need a strong personality up top that can PR bomb and control the narrative.
They need to take charge of the players and not be afraid to send them off for their backchat. Earn respect. Make brave calls and stop letting the media and social media control them

Exactly. There's actually nothing wrong with the system it is the numptys running and using the system that spoil it for everyone. What we need from the referees and its boss is clarity, confidence, transparency and accountability.
Ref the game to the rules, take charge of a match and the narrative around it, stop letting them be dictated to by the media. Refs need a strong personality up top that can PR bomb and control the narrative.
They need to take charge of the players and not be afraid to send them off for their backchat. Earn respect. Make brave calls and stop letting the media and social media control them

And like others said, we were so fucking close to this last year until the media and the Old Boys Club chucked up a stink.

You cant back up what you say. Its that simple.

And what you actually said that i took issue with was

"Glenn is a solid player, no doubt. Though he actually doesn't get involved as much as the other backrowers in the competition which has let us down."

I asked you to back it up. Show how he isnt involved. You cant, so now you are too busy to do it :thinking: Trying to justify it by saying you play supercoach so you have a good handle on stats is comical. Its up there with playing Fifita in the centers in Origin and Kotoni Staggs being able to play anywhere because he is Tyrone Peachy's cousin ( which i dont think he is anyway )
Mate, lay off him. He has his opinions just like you and me.
Asking someone to produce stats to back up their statements then saying you don't need to to refute theirs is just plain lazy and not how you influence or win arguments. Hypocritical really

I need you to post how you come to your conclusions as i cant work it out. I dont need to seek out what he does personally because i have a good grasp on what he brings to the Broncos. I dont need the supercoach game to tell me that

Good on you for getting the stats, but there is still very little comparison to go on. You have just pulled up the lists for the year for every player, not much thought has gone into it. Its not an apples for apples comparison. You are comparing an edge back rower with hookers, locks, props, fullbacks and wingers for some things. As i said to you, i took issue with your comparison of Glenn with other back rowers. Your lists dont back anything up really in that regard. We need direct comparisons with the other edge backrowers in the comp to get a better picture, not Alex Glenn compared against Jake Friend for tackles made or Blake Ferguson for meters made.

I really dont think you were joking about Fifita, but that doesnt really matter, same with saying Kotoni can play anywhere because he is the cousin of Tyrone Peachy ( again, which i doubt he is, but feel free to prove me wrong ).

My comment about decoy runs ( amongst other things ), if you read it properly, was asking what stats you were using to come to your conclusions. I wasnt saying he was a fantastic decoy runner for example. Like i said, you compared him directly to other back rowers in the comp, then go on to compare him to hookers. So when you say he doesnt get involved as much as other backrowers in the comp, back it up against other edge backrowers like Glenn please.

I'm not going to hold my breath for anything so i'll leave this little conversation here. I just cant see you putting up any real comparisions with other edge backrowers. You will probably just compare him against the elite ones, and Glenn isnt an elite back rower.
Dobby criticise how someone presents stats if you're too lazy to do it yourself

1 Prop, 2 second rowers and a utility. If TPJ is being used as a 3rd Prop as Seibold says, that means all three can share the load and play longer minutes. 2 second rowers on the bench are a must until we know for sure what Gillett's situation is and Staggs has done more than enough to justify not being dropped for someone like Mago or Taga.
I see your point and I don’t disagree. But still I think there needs to be two boppers on the bench. Staggs can cover the second 2nd row position.

Mate, lay off him. He has his opinions just like you and me.
Asking someone to produce stats to back up their statements then saying you don't need to to refute theirs is just plain lazy and not how you influence or win arguments. Hypocritical really

I'd be happy to refute them if I had something to refute in the first place. I don't so I can't. If I couldn't back up what I was claiming I wouldn't be stupid enough to say it in the first place.

Dobby criticise how someone presents stats if you're too lazy to do it yourself

As I said, I have nothing to go on to refute. He made the backrower claim, then posts stats comparing Glenn with hooker, wingers and front rowers amongst others. It's not like I'm even defending the player in question, I'm trying to find out how he came up with his claim Glenn doesn't get involved as other backrowers. @Unbreakable has already shown he is on a par with Frizzell.

If any poster makes a claim then they can't back up, I think it's fair to call them out. As I said before, saying Glenn doesn't get involved as other backrowers is a bold statement to make then provide context how you come to that opinion. I don't think Supercoach is a valid platform.

As I said, I have nothing to go on to refute. He made the backrower claim, then posts stats comparing Glenn with hooker, wingers and front rowers amongst others. It's not like I'm even defending the player in question, I'm trying to find out how he came up with his claim Glenn doesn't get involved as other backrowers. @Unbreakable has already shown he is on a par with Frizzell.

If any poster makes a claim then they can't back up, I think it's fair to call them out. As I said before, saying Glenn doesn't get involved as other backrowers is a bold statement to make then provide context how you come to that opinion. I don't think Supercoach is a valid platform.

I've actually been watching the game for a while and have the ability to retain knowledge. I can then move onto the next step of formulating an opinion. I then have the right to express it.

The way you handle opposing views makes you look stupid anyway.

Way too emotional over the subject of whether Glenn is a work horse or not.

Do you just sit there in a fit of rage bashing away at the keyboard?

It's just Glenn dude

I'm laughing, not in a rage. I just want you to back up what you say. The only emotion I have laughter.

And again, I haven't even bought up Glenn being a workhorse. I'd say you are the one looking stupid because you aren't even getting right what I've been saying. I've never made any point about Glenn being a workhorse or not. At least get it right when you are making claims.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.