2019 Broncos Line-up

You must be mistaken - Glenn is absolutely a workhorse. He lacks impact for sure but he can never be accused of a lack of effort.

I dont care that haas is on 500, he has proven zilch. Would you drop fifita for him based on wage? I think not.

You get me the stats to prove that Glenn is a "workhorse". I don't believe there are any stats to prove it. In fact, Su'a probably has better stats on that same left edge.

Glenn is a solid player, no doubt. Though he actually doesn't get involved as much as the other backrowers in the competition which has let us down.

Would I drop David Fifita for Payne Haas? Ideally I'd have them both in the side.

I was making the point that we obviously want Haas in the side and that's why we gave him a big contract.. One day he will be up there with Andrew Fifita and Jason Taumalolo as one of the most damaging middle forwards in the competition. We're planning to develop him early

You get me the stats to prove that Glenn is a "workhorse". I don't believe there are any stats to prove it. In fact, Su'a probably has better stats on that same left edge.

Glenn is a solid player, no doubt. Though he actually doesn't get involved as much as the other backrowers in the competition which has let us down.

Would I drop David Fifita for Payne Haas? Ideally I'd have them both in the side.

I was making the point that we obviously want Haas in the side and that's why we gave him a big contract.. One day he will be up there with Andrew Fifita and Jason Taumalolo as one of the most damaging middle forwards in the competition. We're planning to develop him early

Andrew Fifita doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as JT.

You do know stats really dont tell the whole story dont you? How do you put effort, or heart, or playing busted, or leadership, or the little one percenters that can win a game into stats? Can you provide stats to backup your claim Glenn doesnt get involved as much as the other backrowers at other clubs. Thats a pretty bold statement considering i doubt you keep tabs on the stats of 35 plus backrowers at other clubs in the NRL. I'd also love to know what stats you would be using to compare getting involved. Does that mean in attack? in defence? running decoys? what he does with the ball? what he does wthout the ball?

And we gave Haas a big contract to keep him at the club because we have a strong suspicion he is going to become a topline player. That doesnt mean we want him in the side right now.

Last edited:
You do know stats really dont tell the whole story dont you? How do you put effort, or heart, or playing busted, or leadership, or the little one percenters that can win a game into stats? Can you provide stats to backup your claim Glenn doesnt get involved as much as the other backrowers at other clubs. Thats a pretty bold statement considering i doubt you keep tabs on the stats of 35 plus backrowers at other clubs in the NRL. I'd also love to know what stats you would be using to compare getting involved. Does that mean in attack? in defence? running decoys? what he does with the ball? what he does wthout the ball?

And we gave Haas a big contract to keep him at the club because we have a strong suspicion he is going to become a topline player. That doesnt mean we want him in the side right now.

I play supercoach every year so I have a good handle on players stats and who works hard. Glenn is never an option based on his stats, he simply doesn't do enough in a game. I don't care if he can run a few decoys.

I know what I'm talking about but maybe you should go check.

He's not a workhorse. We probably recruited Fensom because we are lacking a true workhorse other than Macca.

I play supercoach every year so I have a good handle on players stats and who works hard. Glenn is never an option based on his stats, he simply doesn't do enough in a game. I don't care if he can run a few decoys.

He's not a workhorse. We probably recruited Fensom because we are lacking a true workhorse other than Macca.

So basically what you are saying is you haven't got anything to back up your claims. Show us the stats compared to others. I have no interest in checking because i know what he brings, and i dont really care a great deal for stats anyway as i dont think they tell the full story.

I want to see how you come up with your theories tbh. If you have some legitimate proof, then post it. I've seen @Unbreakable back up his claims with some legitimate stats amongst others, i don't see you doing it, and i don't believe you will because i don't think you can. Put your money where your mouth is and put up a compelling argument to why he isnt as involved as the other backrowers in the NRL.

Over to you supercoach.

You know who one of the biggest spuds in SuperCoach history was? D Lockyer.

You know who one of the biggest spuds in SuperCoach history was? D Lockyer.

Generally, and by the people who are experts in supercoach, the best players arent always the ones worth having.

Supercoach is an okay guideline, but it's far from foolproof. You can't just say because "x" player didn't average as many points as "y" player he isn't as valuable, there's plenty of variables that SC don't account for.

Prime example is Adam Blair, he did monumental work for us in 2015 & 2016, yet only averaged 40-45 points both years. Glenn also coincidentally averages in the 40's most years, doesn't mean he's useless.

Despite all that being said, I still don't think Glenn is in our best 17 because Su'A & Fifita are going to be 2 of the best 5 edge back rowers in the game within 24 months.

Supercoach is an okay guideline, but it's far from foolproof. You can't just say because "x" player didn't average as many points as "y" player he isn't as valuable, there's plenty of variables that SC don't account for.

Prime example is Adam Blair, he did monumental work for us in 2015 & 2016, yet only averaged 40-45 points both years. Glenn also coincidentally averages in the 40's most years, doesn't mean he's useless.

Despite all that being said, I still don't think Glenn is in our best 17 because Su'A & Fifita are going to be 2 of the best 5 edge back rowers in the game within 24 months.

I find the supercoach thing hilarious tbh. While i play it, i know you dont pick the best technical players in the game. You pick blokes like Gallen who pad out their stats.

2 years is a long time. Glenn will be very valuable to us this year. Saying that, if Sua and Fifita perform consistently then i dont think he will get a contract extension. I still think its a lot to ask of them at their age. Time will tell.

I disagree about Glenn being a workhorse.

He is certainly solid and reliable. And sure, he is most likely never going to provide that flashy winning play, but importantly, his worst game is not a lot different to his best game. He is consistent.

But I think he is more a toiler than a workhorse. He might do a bit of the dirty clean-up work too. But you’re not going to get 60 tackles or 25 hit-ups out of him week, after week, after week, after week like a true workhorse.

I guess I am trying to say that I think Glenn is more like Mick De Vere than Corey Parker.

I can agree with your assessment - but being a toiler off the bench to soak up pressure while our starters are getting a breather is valuable also. As you said, he's consistent and won't let anyone down, so it's not as if there's question marks on whether he can handle it. In any case, if he fails, he doesn't get re-signed - pressure's on him to prove he can still mix it up with the youngsters.

We obviously gave Haas a big contract based on his potential, but he hasn't proven anything at top level yet. Taumalolo was dropped and in and out of the side when he was a youngster too - he wasn't just given a spot undeservedly. Haas will probably go on to be a great player but he needs to prove that he can handle it first - football is a meritocracy, earn it and it's yours. Fifta did, Haas hasn't yet. If the choice was between them, I think it's a no brainer.

I can agree with your assessment - but being a toiler off the bench to soak up pressure while our starters are getting a breather is valuable also. As you said, he's consistent and won't let anyone down, so it's not as if there's question marks on whether he can handle it. In any case, if he fails, he doesn't get re-signed - pressure's on him to prove he can still mix it up with the youngsters.

We obviously gave Haas a big contract based on his potential, but he hasn't proven anything at top level yet. Taumalolo was dropped and in and out of the side when he was a youngster too - he wasn't just given a spot undeservedly. Haas will probably go on to be a great player but he needs to prove that he can handle it first - football is a meritocracy, earn it and it's yours. Fifta did, Haas hasn't yet. If the choice was between them, I think it's a no brainer.

Jt though was lazy and inconsistent, where as Haas is top notch trainer and is 100% committed so I think it’s unfair to compare them.

So basically what you are saying is you haven't got anything to back up your claims. Show us the stats compared to others. I have no interest in checking because i know what he brings, and i dont really care a great deal for stats anyway as i dont think they tell the full story.

I want to see how you come up with your theories tbh. If you have some legitimate proof, then post it. I've seen @Unbreakable back up his claims with some legitimate stats amongst others, i don't see you doing it, and i don't believe you will because i don't think you can. Put your money where your mouth is and put up a compelling argument to why he isnt as involved as the other backrowers in the NRL.

Over to you supercoach.

You guys are hilarious.

All I've said is that he's not a workhorse in comparison to what should be considered a workhorse in the NRL.

I don't really have time to argue.

Last edited:
You guys are hilarious.

All I've said is that he's not a workhorse in comparison to what should be considered a workhorse in the NRL.

I don't really have time to argue.

You cant back up what you say. Its that simple.

And what you actually said that i took issue with was

"Glenn is a solid player, no doubt. Though he actually doesn't get involved as much as the other backrowers in the competition which has let us down."

I asked you to back it up. Show how he isnt involved. You cant, so now you are too busy to do it :thinking: Trying to justify it by saying you play supercoach so you have a good handle on stats is comical. Its up there with playing Fifita in the centers in Origin and Kotoni Staggs being able to play anywhere because he is Tyrone Peachy's cousin ( which i dont think he is anyway )

He may just do that behind closed doors. Coaches may not act the same in private as they put on for the media.

Not trying to be a pain, but I never claimed that

Of course what he says in public may be different to what he says in private, but that (at least to me) is another, albeit different, error

Public accountability, without excuses or tantrums, is a good place for growth

Glenn is a must in the 17, but whether he starts or plays bench depends on the players around him. Whilst Gillet is 100 percent in fitness and form there might be an argument for leaving him out, but there is no guarantees of either considering the injury. The same is true of sua coming back from injury.
We need a consistent backrower who is good defender and can last the distance in a tight game. Injury free that is Glenn. A lot of people have put him down for performances played with injury, protecting some pathetic defence from the halves and being hampered with a running game limited by the inconsistency of the same halves .
Fully fit, with halves confident in their game, he is great hole runner, great defender and provided others do theirs, will do a good job (perhaps not great but good) hitting it up.
Sometimes he has had to play with weak front row runs, pathetic halves defence, carrying injuries because there was nobody else with experience and still played what people have judge not good, but average games where has been on par with others. For that reason alone, and until someone else puts their hand up to do the same, he should be there.
Sua played the latter half of the season very well and fiffita looks a real gun but I'd still put Glenn ahead of them are at this stage. Later in the year, with everybody fit and firing, maybe not.
For mine you have either Glenn or Gillet paired with a young back rower in the run on side and experience to back up for injury/form on the bench.

You cant back up what you say. Its that simple.

And what you actually said that i took issue with was

"Glenn is a solid player, no doubt. Though he actually doesn't get involved as much as the other backrowers in the competition which has let us down."

I asked you to back it up. Show how he isnt involved. You cant, so now you are too busy to do it :thinking: Trying to justify it by saying you play supercoach so you have a good handle on stats is comical. Its up there with playing Fifita in the centers in Origin and Kotoni Staggs being able to play anywhere because he is Tyrone Peachy's cousin ( which i dont think he is anyway )

https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2018&stat=3

Last year was the first time Glenn has ever averaged above 30 tackles a game..

https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2018&stat=1000002

He didn't make the top 50 players in the comp last year for your precious decoys run. Last time he made the top 50 for average decoys run was in 2014 and he was 49th with 4 decoys on average.

https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2018&stat=1000037

Last time he made the top 50 for run metres was in 2013 at 50th place.

I don't know why you need me to post this stuff on here when the info is out there for you to find it.

Anyway, it's always been a personal opinion of mine that he doesn't get involved enough and doesn't have the physical presence I would prefer on that left edge.

If you're having a go at me for joking about sticking Fifita in the centres because Queensland lack one or the fact that I said Staggs is a similar player to Peachey in terms of utility value and genetics... then I'm doing alright I think

Seibold is literally using Staggs on the bench as the player who is able to fill most positions in the squad.. A position Peachey is known for

Last edited:
https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2018&stat=3

Last year was the first time Glenn has ever averaged above 30 tackles a game..

https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2018&stat=1000002

He didn't make the top 50 players in the comp last year for your precious decoys run. Last time he made the top 50 for average decoys run was in 2014 and he was 49th with 4 decoys on average.

https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2018&stat=1000037

Last time he made the top 50 for run metres was in 2013 at 50th place.

I don't know why you need me to post this stuff on here when the info is out there for you to find it.

Anyway, it's always been a personal opinion of mine that he doesn't get involved enough and doesn't have the physical presence I would prefer on that left edge.

If you're having a go at me for joking about sticking Fifita in the centres because Queensland lack one or the fact that I said Staggs is a similar player to Peachey in terms of utility value and genetics... then I'm doing alright I think

Seibold is literally using Staggs on the bench as the player who is able to fill most positions in the squad.. A position Peachey is known for

I need you to post how you come to your conclusions as i cant work it out. I dont need to seek out what he does personally because i have a good grasp on what he brings to the Broncos. I dont need the supercoach game to tell me that

Good on you for getting the stats, but there is still very little comparison to go on. You have just pulled up the lists for the year for every player, not much thought has gone into it. Its not an apples for apples comparison. You are comparing an edge back rower with hookers, locks, props, fullbacks and wingers for some things. As i said to you, i took issue with your comparison of Glenn with other back rowers. Your lists dont back anything up really in that regard. We need direct comparisons with the other edge backrowers in the comp to get a better picture, not Alex Glenn compared against Jake Friend for tackles made or Blake Ferguson for meters made.

I really dont think you were joking about Fifita, but that doesnt really matter, same with saying Kotoni can play anywhere because he is the cousin of Tyrone Peachy ( again, which i doubt he is, but feel free to prove me wrong ).

My comment about decoy runs ( amongst other things ), if you read it properly, was asking what stats you were using to come to your conclusions. I wasnt saying he was a fantastic decoy runner for example. Like i said, you compared him directly to other back rowers in the comp, then go on to compare him to hookers. So when you say he doesnt get involved as much as other backrowers in the comp, back it up against other edge backrowers like Glenn please.

I'm not going to hold my breath for anything so i'll leave this little conversation here. I just cant see you putting up any real comparisions with other edge backrowers. You will probably just compare him against the elite ones, and Glenn isnt an elite back rower.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Foordy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.