2019 Broncos Line-up

Good question.

I think he was typically analytical about it and usually identified the areas where the team went wrong.

He seems quite open and honest to the media so you don't get the fluff "we tried hard" blah blah blah... I also don't recall a Toovey type blow up either, but could be wrong.

IMO, both shouting at players, and calmly saying we did our best are equal errors

Middle ground is needed where a coach will actually say "we played badly" and have players take accountability, but without the childish tantrums

IMO, both shouting at players, and calmly saying we did our best are equal errors

Middle ground is needed where a coach will actually say "we played badly" and have players take accountability, but without the childish tantrums

He may just do that behind closed doors. Coaches may not act the same in private as they put on for the media.

the better and better the video replays have gotten the worse and worse it has got imo.

I've been watching matches from the 90's/early 2000's on Fox League and it's illustrating to me just how obnoxiously over-officiated the game is these days.
I can’t sit through one. The passing is so poor, players so small. The whole thing looks a mess too me watching a game from the 90’s or earlier

I mean just consider this try to Campion from the '98 GF:

If you took that try out of '98 and plonked it into 2018, the Bunker would have replayed the footage 30 times and still not have a clue if he got it down (he did), and the longer they scrutinize it the more the Bulldogs fans are gonna feel righteous fury the moment they show the greenlight, whereas Harrigan, for all his faults points straight at the spot and it's forgotten 5 minutes later.

Then comes all the post-match controversy from the starved media who will divebomb on any scrap of meat, which spooks the shit out of the NRL and the referees which puts them on tilt, and only makes the officiating worse.

Last edited:
You're dead to me , the 90's were the shit. 4 premierships , grunge what else do you need man.
I agree. The 80s and 90s were where it was just raw, unstructured footy where actual footballers roamed the competition and just carved like Alf, Wally, Cliff Lyons, Gavin Miller, Sterlo etc.and old hard heads like Ray Price, Les Davidson, Cement, Spud etc... Just hard men. Unlike today, where if you aren't 110 kg, can run 100 m in 9.8 seconds and get to your front for a quick play the ball, you won't get a look in.

I mean just consider this try to Campion from the '98 GF:

If you took that try out of '98 and plonked it into 2018, the Bunker would have replayed the footage 30 times and still not have a clue if he got it down (he did), and the longer they scrutinize it the more the Bulldogs fans are gonna feel righteous fury the moment they show the greenlight, whereas Harrigan, for all his faults points straight at the spot and it's forgotten 5 minutes later.

Then comes all the post-match controversy from the starved media who will divebomb on any scrap of meat, which spooks the shit out of the NRL and the referees which puts them on tilt, and only makes the officiating worse.

Maybe Harrigan got away without controversy this time because brisbane dominated and won by close to thirty points. Can you imagine the outrage over thst try if we only won by two points in a grandfinal. People forget...msybe too young.. at how much outrage there was when a correct try was not given or a no try was awarded as a try. Thats why the video ref was introduced. ..becsuse officials were getting it wrong often...it wasn't just a brain fart where some one said the refs are going great but let's bring in another level of help.

I agree. The 80s and 90s were where it was just raw, unstructured footy where actual footballers roamed the competition and just carved like Alf, Wally, Cliff Lyons, Gavin Miller, Sterlo etc.and old hard heads like Ray Price, Les Davidson, Cement, Spud etc... Just hard men. Unlike today, where if you aren't 110 kg, can run 100 m in 9.8 seconds and get to your front for a quick play the ball, you won't get a look in.
i think thst over simplifies the reality of that era though. Sure those players and others not named were great footballers but among their peers in relevant terms they were also among the nsturally strongest or fastest playing the game. Though smaller now in comparison, those playing at top level were big humans compared to general society of the time (obviously with some exceptions)...but to be small and make it to the top you had to be an exceptional footballer....you couldnt just be small and average. In reality if those players you mentined played now they'd still be the cream but they would be bigger and faster because they train differentky...but they would still be among the cream of there peers because of there superior natural attributes relatively speaking. I don't buy the dribble that modern players are just robots...ffs yiu still have to know how to play and have skill as well as natural physical attributes.

For the bench i'd go

Staggs
Fifita
Glenn
Taga

Two props, plus the option of moving someone like Gillett or Glenn into lock and bringing TPJ back on as a prop when he comes back on. I think Glenn would be a great stopgap after 20-25mins, he's a workhorse and would help tighten up the middle when the opp interchanges come in fresh.

I'm not as high on Haas as others, I don't think he's proven much yet and I'd rather have a tough veteran in Taga to bring on and help the younger guys. Let Haas play a few Q Cup games and get through injury free, then look to bring him in maybe Round 6 onwards.

Not playing Haas who we signed for 500k a season and using Glenn at lock because he's a "workhorse".. Glenn has never been known as a workhorse, if anything he's been known for not getting involved enough

Not playing Haas who we signed for 500k a season and using Glenn at lock because he's a "workhorse".. Glenn has never been known as a workhorse, if anything he's been known for not getting involved enough

contract value should never be a consideration when deciding who plays ... if a 100k player is playing and training better than the 500k player, then he should always be selected over the higher paid player

Active Now

• Gaz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • peter09
  • Scorchie
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • barker
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.