2019 Broncos Line-up

I think Fifita jumped in front of Sua as a backrow option. From photos Sua seems to have bulked up a fair bit, and not necessarily a good way. Fifita meanwhile is looking very solid and wants to push for origin. He wouldn't come out saying he wants to play origin if the coach was saying he won't be in the 17...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Gillett/Sua/Glenn spend some time at lock throughout the season. Everything is a bit of a guess at this stage. To me, there's no chance of Fifita not being in the 17. He can also play centre if required. Actually has a lot of pace.

Su’A will play origin this year and Fifita has developed so much and already in origin question with players like that once in generation kind of players they have every chance to be picked over Glenn. The trials will definitely decide a lot imo.
How much you want to bet?

I think Fifita jumped in front of Sua as a backrow option. From photos Sua seems to have bulked up a fair bit, and not necessarily a good way. Fifita meanwhile is looking very solid and wants to push for origin. He wouldn't come out saying he wants to play origin if the coach was saying he won't be in the 17...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Gillett/Sua/Glenn spend some time at lock throughout the season. Everything is a bit of a guess at this stage. To me, there's no chance of Fifita not being in the 17. He can also play centre if required. Actually has a lot of pace.

Have you seen him play centre? Does he have experience there?

I can't see Gillett or Glenn playing in the middle. I can't even see Glenn in the best 17. Pretty sure Seibold was at Souths and wanted to sign Su'a to replace Crichton on the right edge. He had Burgess and Murray in the middle. I believe Souths offered Su'a around 700k and he turned it down.

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Ofahengaue
11. Su'a
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Junior
17. Tagataese / Fensom

Fairly straight forward imo

And Maranta is taller than all of them... I don't see height as the be all and end all to wing play.

It would be about a utility coming on in emergency situations to play wing if one got concussed.

And having to defend against cross field kicks against leapers like Fieldt, Vuni, Fergo, Fusi, Topou... hell even Don can leap.

The point being that I would worry about a typically second rower coming on trying to defend the try line when there is the potential for a significant mismatch in the air.

You did make a comment though about his stature tbf. I think Staggs is more than capable of filling in on the wing if we needed him to. I wouldn't start him there though.

You did make a comment though about his stature tbf. I think Staggs is more than capable of filling in on the wing if we needed him to. I wouldn't start him there though.
Greg Eastwood filled in more than admirably on the wing in a game against the Warriors, scored a cracker of a try (to win the game?) also if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

I saw Su'a out shopping two weeks ago and he looked pretty fit especially for someone who isnt training fully because of injury.

Souths had guaranteed him a starting role there at 2nd row so one would think that is where Seibs wants to coach him. IMO Fifita's attack is a little more powerful than Su'a but then Su'a played injured most the year. Fifita does not have the defensive prowess of Sua yet though. It showed when Fifita had to play bigger minutes at 2nd row. Su'a defence is exceptionally good even under fatigue. I think the stating spot will be fought between Su'a and Glenn and Fifita will keep them both honest.

I saw Su'a out shopping two weeks ago and he looked pretty fit especially for someone who isnt training fully because of injury.

Souths had guaranteed him a starting role there at 2nd row so one would think that is where Seibs wants to coach him. IMO Fifita's attack is a little more powerful than Su'a but then Su'a played injured most the year. Fifita does not have the defensive prowess of Sua yet though. It showed when Fifita had to play bigger minutes at 2nd row. Su'a defence is exceptionally good even under fatigue. I think the stating spot will be fought between Su'a and Glenn and Fifita will keep them both honest.

The best role for Fifita in his second season of NRL is as the bench backrower with the capability of playing in the middle depending on how the game is unfolding.

Greg Eastwood filled in more than admirably on the wing in a game against the Warriors, scored a cracker of a try (to win the game?) also if I recall correctly.
I thought he set up Berrigan, and then landed on him in celebration - Berrigan looked like his eyes were going to pop out of his head.

Have you seen him play centre? Does he have experience there?

I can't see Gillett or Glenn playing in the middle. I can't even see Glenn in the best 17. Pretty sure Seibold was at Souths and wanted to sign Su'a to replace Crichton on the right edge. He had Burgess and Murray in the middle. I believe Souths offered Su'a around 700k and he turned it down.

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Ofahengaue
11. Su'a
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Junior
17. Tagataese / Fensom

For the bench i'd go

Staggs
Fifita
Glenn
Taga

Two props, plus the option of moving someone like Gillett or Glenn into lock and bringing TPJ back on as a prop when he comes back on. I think Glenn would be a great stopgap after 20-25mins, he's a workhorse and would help tighten up the middle when the opp interchanges come in fresh.

I'm not as high on Haas as others, I don't think he's proven much yet and I'd rather have a tough veteran in Taga to bring on and help the younger guys. Let Haas play a few Q Cup games and get through injury free, then look to bring him in maybe Round 6 onwards.

Last edited:
Watching the highlights of the Dragons semi final loss last season.

Jesus Christ, we were bad. Defense is absolutely the problem. Attitude in defense. Self confidence. I really hope this gets fixed.

Surely Fifita has to be in the 17 somewhere. He showed his class last season imo.

Watching the highlights of the Dragons semi final loss last season.

Jesus Christ, we were bad. Defense is absolutely the problem. Attitude in defense. Self confidence. I really hope this gets fixed.
Embarrassing. Simply an embarrassment of a performance from every player in that game.

Man, the one or two seasons where Eastwood was actually fit and not a lazy looking fatty.

Embarrassing. Simply an embarrassment of a performance from every player in that game.

Even a lot of Dragons fans at the game were surprised at the end result.

They weren't expecting us to be so shit and expected us to deliver them a flogging.

Even a lot of Dragons fans at the game were surprised at the end result.

They weren't expecting us to be so shit and expected us to deliver them a flogging.
Yep. Exactly. Terrible performance and one I hope we use as motivation for this season.

You did make a comment though about his stature tbf.
Fair enough... he reminds me of Peachey and without seeing them side by side they appear similar in size.

If I was a Titans fan I'd have the same concerns should Peach have to fill in on the wing halfway through a game... hence why I suggested Staggs could get found out as a winger should he be the utility

The other concern to me would be Staggs getting 10mins a week as an emergency rather than 80mins in Qcup to not only get experience but to also figure out where his best position is.

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Ofahengaue
11. Su'a
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Junior
17. Tagataese/Fensom/Mago

This is the forward pack I would be rolling out for the first few games against the Storm, Dragons, Cowboys and Roosters. Glenn would return to his role from a few years ago and play in the middle. Tagataese/Fensom would then be used as the other middle to provide some experience against these teams. Haas would then substitute with TPJ as he gains some match fitness. I think having someone like Staggs or even Fifita on the bench in the early rounds will be very important incase Su'A or Gillett have any problems in their return from injury. Obviously Fifita would be better for the backrow, however Staggs can also cover numerous spots in the backline. As the season progresses the likes of Fifita and Mago can be rotated with Haas and Taga/Fensom.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Strop
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • lynx000
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Lazza
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • LGH
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • theshed
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.