2019 Broncos Line-up

Just read on nrl.com that David Fifita will be playing second row for the all stars game that’s a perfect start for the year for him to be voted in like that. Roberts is also in front of Inglis for right centre great stuff.
Tell that to JYY.

Just read on nrl.com that David Fifita will be playing second row for the all stars game that’s a perfect start for the year for him to be voted in like that. Roberts is also in front of Inglis for right centre great stuff.

End of the article also says that after the voting period ends the coaches will take the votes on board before picking there sides so you can bet your bottom dollar if GI isn’t fullback over Barbs he will be right centre

8 Lodge
9 Macca
10 Ofa/TPJ
11 Sua
12 Gillett
13 TPJ/Ofa

14 Staggs/Kahu
15 Glenn
16 Haas
17 Mago/Fensom/Carrigan/Taga

Looking at the way Seibs approached his bench rotation with souths last year I would not be surprised to see Glenn as a regular on the bench. I think he would play the Cam Murray role where he comes off the bench as part of the middle rotation. I don't think the other second rowers are really suited for that workhorse type role in the middle.

From memory Seibs started Surgess at lock but moved him to prop when Murray came on. In terms of the Broncos a guy like Offa could fulfill that role. I believe Bennett did a similar rotation with Moose being the middle that would be last subbed off.

I think Sua and Gillett start the year and play out the 80. Alternatively Glenn could start at left second row, move to lock when TPJ comes off with Sua or Fifita to come into second row for remainder of the game. Glenn then gets taken out when the props return and stays on the bench.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Kahu ends up being Seibs preferred utility given he covers wing, centre, fullback and 5/8. Staggs can cover center and second row but I'd be very hesitant to throw him on the wing, which is where you'd think he'd end up with Bird and Jimmy in the centres. We'd also have very little cover if a half went down if Staggs was on the bench. Seibs also had Doueihi off the bench last year giving him backline cover, showing his previous preference

Last edited:
Could Staggs do a job at hooker? I think it could work, bit off impact.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Kahu ends up being Seibs preferred utility given he covers wing, centre, fullback and 5/8. Staggs can cover center and second row but I'd be very hesitant to throw him on the wing, which is where you'd think he'd end up with Bird and Jimmy in the centres. We'd also have very little cover if a half went down if Staggs was on the bench. Seibs also had Doueihi off the bench last year giving him backline cover, showing his previous preference

If Seibold sees Staggs as a utility on the bench to cover for random in game injuries then I don't see why Seibold wouldn't have already told Staggs to get a bit familiar with every position in the backline.. Including wing.

Could Staggs do a job at hooker? I think it could work, bit off impact.

I definitely think it's worth developing his skills at 9. If there are no injuries and the game is won and coming to a close I can see Seibold giving Macca a rest and bringing on Staggs at 9.

If Seibold sees Staggs as a utility on the bench to cover for random in game injuries then I don't see why Seibold wouldn't have already told Staggs to get a bit familiar with every position in the backline.. Including wing.
He's a shortish backrower... I think you'd be playing with fire relying on him to cover wing.

More so against bombs than anywhere else on the field.

I have bad memories of Knik on the wing granted he's not that short, but full time wingers are typically elite jumpers nowadays and if there is an obvious mismatch it can be seriously exploited.... and usually in try scoring situations.

He's a shortish backrower... I think you'd be playing with fire relying on him to cover wing.

I have bad memories of Knik on the wing granted he's not that short, but full time wingers are typically elite jumpers nowadays and if there is an obvious mismatch it can be seriously exploited.... and usually in try scoring situations.

He's 185 cm tall. He'd be fine on the wing imo

He is taller than Glenn iirc.

He is taller than Glenn iirc.
Cool but what has that got to do with Staggs being a competent winger...

FWIW I think we need a utility because in my opinion Glenn can no longer play in the outside backs as he's now getting burnt whenever he plays in the centers.

8 Lodge
9 Macca
10 Ofa/TPJ
11 Sua
12 Gillett
13 TPJ/Ofa

14 Staggs/Kahu
15 Glenn
16 Haas
17 Mago/Fensom/Carrigan/Taga

Looking at the way Seibs approached his bench rotation with souths last year I would not be surprised to see Glenn as a regular on the bench. I think he would play the Cam Murray role where he comes off the bench as part of the middle rotation. I don't think the other second rowers are really suited for that workhorse type role in the middle.

From memory Seibs started Surgess at lock but moved him to prop when Murray came on. In terms of the Broncos a guy like Offa could fulfill that role. I believe Bennett did a similar rotation with Moose being the middle that would be last subbed off.

I think Sua and Gillett start the year and play out the 80. Alternatively Glenn could start at left second row, move to lock when TPJ comes off with Sua or Fifita to come into second row for remainder of the game. Glenn then gets taken out when the props return and stays on the bench.

Where is young David?

Cool but what has that got to do with Staggs being a competent winger...

FWIW I think we need a utility because in my opinion Glenn can no longer play in the outside backs as he's now getting burnt whenever he plays in the centers.

You were making the comment about him being a shortish backrower and playing with fire with him covering a wing spot. He would be a bigger winger than Issako.

Where is young David?
It's what I think will get named based on players available and some of the aspects that Seibold incorporated last year.

Fifita is a chance to grab a spot on the bench, but 1 of Glenn or Sua would have to miss out and I suspect Seibold may opt for Glenn (as he can play edge or middle) along with a utility.

Which brings it down to Sua or Fifita... Sua was identified last year (albeit under Bennett) as a likely starter in the second row... I believe it was around the time he re-signed.

Hence 11. Sua, 15. Glenn

Where is young David?

I think it might be hard for him to break into the side early on. If you go with a utility, you really only have one 2nd row spot on the bench, which means we'll probably go with a Gillett/Su'a/Glenn rotation to start with. Fifita is talented, but I think we'll go with experience to start with.

You were making the comment about him being a shortish backrower and playing with fire with him covering a wing spot. He would be a bigger winger than Issako.
And Maranta is taller than all of them... I don't see height as the be all and end all to wing play.

It would be about a utility coming on in emergency situations to play wing if one got concussed.

And having to defend against cross field kicks against leapers like Fieldt, Vuni, Fergo, Fusi, Topou... hell even Don can leap.

The point being that I would worry about a typically second rower coming on trying to defend the try line when there is the potential for a significant mismatch in the air.

Does anyone else think that there may be a strong possibility of sua filling the 2nd row/middle forward spot that seibold said would have 1 spot on the bench. He has put on a fair bit of weight over the off season (could be down to the ankle injury but that wouldn't prevent him from preventing weight gain and he seems driven/disciplined enough to manage his weight). Also, not sure if I'm remembering this right but I thought they were talking souths (when seibold was coach) wanting to make sua into a middle forward if they got him. Would make sense and solve a few issues regarding how we fit all our gun second rowers into the best 17

Last edited:

Active Now

• Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • ezpz
  • eggstar10
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • Justwin
  • broncs30
  • marw
  • Strop
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  • Mustafur
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.