2019 Broncos Line-up

Not sure how I feel about this.

Do I think it will happen. No way it will happen, just another article about a player signing for the broncos to get the journalist some clicks.

If it were to happen there are pros and cons both ways..

Pros: our middle forward rotation would go from looking a little over dependent on rookies and past their prime veterans as depth to suddenly looking like the best in the nrl currently and for years to come. Our roll on would be extraordinary and could very well deliver a premiership

Cons: may cost us a future superstar or 2 at worst, or some solid and experienced first graders at best. People are saying that Glenn would be no loss, and on the surface I think fifita and sua would make us quickly forget he left BUT our 2nd row depth is not as strong as it appears. Our top 4 are the best top 4 2nd rowers in the nrl but outside of that we don't have a lot. Carrigan and staggs can play their but I don't believe it is their best position and pulls away from other areas. Savelio is an unknown quantity after his acl. 2 injuries and it looks very grim without Glenn in the 2nd row and with gillett and sua returning from injuries it could happen easily. Losing kahu would present the same problem but we seem to have less quality but a longer list for depth in the wing/centre positions (shibisaki, kennar, Farnsworth, staggs obviously, perese, maybe the Fijian unknown)..

It'd be a gamble but I believe he would make us unrelenting with forward punch and is worth the risk. I would however hate it if it cost us a future superstar (tpj, Haas, fifita (no!)) ...

I don't think we particularly need him, but he could comfortably take the Tagatese / Mago bench role no worries.

8. Lodge
10. Ofahengaue
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Jr

14. Staggs
15. Fifita
16. Haas
17. G.Burgess

Sounds good to me.. Will need to offload Glenn and/or Kahu though.

I agree. It sounds good for a two year deal would you say? A bit like Korbin or Blair? They come here cheap to pump up the value of their next contract, and then leave for the inevitable upgrade. Other clubs want the prestige of having ex Broncos at their clubs.

Last edited:
Wasn't he being chased by the Eels a few months back? Trying to raise his asking price?

Off the top of my head: re-signed Sam on 1 mil a year long term, re-signed Cook on 800k+, re-signed Walker on big money. The latter two were on close to min wage when they signed for Souths.

Big money for Gagai too IIRC.

He doesn’t play big minutes so probably wouldn’t make top 50 but I would be interested to see a stat that reflects errors per minute. I could be wrong but he seemed to make plenty whenever I saw him play.

Our perception is probably tainted. Sam, George & Tom were all good for dropped balls. There was rarely a week that one of them didn't drop it, and plenty of weeks where they all did, some multiple times. The perception is then that "they're" good for a few errors each week.

He was the best of the three last year (that includes Sam). Not sure why Souths want to get rid of him.
Me either. Thought he was at least better then his twin. Perhaps wanted more.

Me either. Thought he was at least better then his twin. Perhaps wanted more.

It's Bennett that would want him gone. Pretty sure Bennett picks Turgess and Surgess for England and leaves out Gurgess

Big money for Gagai too IIRC.

Our perception is probably tainted. Sam, George & Tom were all good for dropped balls. There was rarely a week that one of them didn't drop it, and plenty of weeks where they all did, some multiple times. The perception is then that "they're" good for a few errors each week.
A bit Sims like.

It's a big NO to Burgess. We have Mago, Glenn, TPJ, Offa, Flegler and Oates all off contract after 2019. We sign Burgess we probably lose atleast three or four of these players. Glenn and Mago will most likely already be pushed out as the others get bigger money. Throw Burgess into the squad and suddenly we have to make a choice out of the others. I bet the G Burgess thing has zero to do with salary pressure and more to do with Bennett's opinion of him and Souths freeing up cash to have a big go at TPJ and any of our other up and coming forwards they want. You bet they'll have a crack at Flegler, Oates and Offa given half the chance. My money is Bennett wants George gone and a Bronco replacing him.

Last edited:
It's a big NO to Burgess. We have Mago, Glenn, TPJ, Offa, Flegler and Oates all off contract after 2019. We sign Burgess we probably lose atleast three or four of these players. Glenn and Mago will most likely already be pushed out as the others get bigger money. Throw Burgess into the squad and suddenly we have to make a choice out of the others. I bet the G Burgess thing has zero to do with salary pressure and more to do with Bennett's opinion of him and Souths freeing up cash to have a big go at TPJ and any of our other up and coming forwards they want. You bet they'll have a crack at Flegler, Oates and Offa given half the chance. My money is Bennett wants George gone and a Bronco replacing him.

We are probably going to lose a few blokes anyway. Someone will throw big money at a few and a few will take it. TPJ is no guarantee beyond this season.

If the price is right, two years sounds good.

Would be worth it too.

you don't seem to realise how much of a balancing act the salary cap is (unless you work for the Rorters) ...

you do realise that by getting rid of Fensom, Taga and Mago we would still only be able to offer G.Burgess minimum wage ... right?

all 3 of those players are on minimum wage (or close to it) so all would need to be replaced in our top 30 by players on the exact same money, effectively not saving us a single cent.

so getting Burgess would likely mean we have to lose one of Oates, TPJ or Ofahengaue (all off contract next year) ... and that trade is exactly not bloody worth it. although it is probably exactly what Bennett is hoping we do

you don't seem to realise how much of a balancing act the salary cap is (unless you work for the Rorters) ...

you do realise that by getting rid of Fensom, Taga and Mago we would still only be able to offer G.Burgess minimum wage ... right?

all 3 of those players are on minimum wage (or close to it) so all would need to be replaced in our top 30 by players on the exact same money, effectively not saving us a single cent.

so getting Burgess would likely mean we have to lose one of Oates, TPJ or Ofahengaue (all off contract next year) ... and that trade is exactly not bloody worth it. although it is probably exactly what Bennett is hoping we do

I’m not saying it would be easy to get him in we would lose a few like Glenn and Kahu. But he would be worth getting in. I don’t want to see Taga and Fensom as much as I do younger players like Carrigan but if Burgerss is available I’m all for him getting picked.

We definitely have enough depth in the front row.

Burgess would be a sort of luxury buy if we had spare cash sitting around for this year. A one year deal could be okay.

I think Tagataese probably offers just as much as Gurgess anyway.

So yeah, unnecessary. 1 year deal max if anything

We definitely have enough depth in the front row.

Burgess would be a sort of luxury buy if we had spare cash sitting around for this year. A one year deal could be okay.

I think Tagataese probably offers just as much as Gurgess anyway.

So yeah, unnecessary. 1 year deal max if anything

That’s a bit of under rated comment of Burgess he is a English international player.

That’s a bit of under rated comment of Burgess he is a English international player.
That's because most fans don't really acknowledge the fact that a player plays for his country especially if it's Eng, NZ and other nations where the game is hardly noticed. Having said that, I wouldn't exactly be picketing in front of Red Hill if he was acquired. He is tough and experienced and would be an asset to any side.

Dobbo said this morning it's BS, and that Burgess is only a good friend of Seibold, they never discussed him moving to the Broncos in 2020. Said "He'll never be playing for the Broncos".

Dobbo.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • lynx000
  • thenry
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncosarethebest
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  • theshed
  • MrTickyMcG
  • heartly87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.