2019 Broncos Line-up

Carrigan is a certainty for a spot but if TPJ is out it opens up another spot. It all depends on what seibolds game plan is I think. Fensom will sure up the middle but we won't get much yardage out of him, flegler gets massive post contact metres and is aggressive but can look lost in defence at times, whereas tagataese and mago are decent in both but not great in either departments and are prone to giving away penalties or handling errors

I can see why wolfie rates carrigan so high, he looks nrl ready. I still wouldn't put him up there with Haas and fifita for sheer game changing potential and current level But he seems to have the best attitude of the 3 (which is scary when you think about fifita and haas' attitudes to improving their footy and putting in the work) so his future could become very very big

All the talk from Taggers in the pre-season really had me convinced he was ready to finish his career with a flurry a la Parker. Sadly he bombed dreadfully last night when he was supposed to be convincing Siebs he still has it.

Last edited:
What happened to TPJ?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/0b7b272f6b71ff409abb31de5002b31a

Broncos star Tevita Pangai Jr says he ‘felt a pop’ as he copped an injury in trial win

NRL PREMIERSHIP
c96edcadbdace2505bd69210ed638531

Tevita Pangai jnr is seen during a Brisbane Broncos training sessionSource: AAP
Brisbane Broncos star Tevita Pangai Jr says he ‘felt a pop’ in his hamstring in a worrying sign the big man could miss the start of the NRL season.

The injury, whoch is a recurrence of the hamstring issue which continues to plague him, forced Pangai Jr from the field after just 18 minutes of the Broncos’ 26-12 trial win over Wynnum-Manly on Saturday.
“I felt it pop,” Pangai Jr told the Courier Mail.
“I’m pretty disappointed. I worked hard on my hamstrings all pre-season.
Round
719264_640x360_large_20190220093023.jpg

Haas fined, will miss 4 games
2:16
“I don’t know what to say. I’ll be all right, it’s early days and we’ve got a long season ahead.
“Hopefully I’m good for round one. Hopefully I can get back on the horse, get my preparation right and be right for round one against the Storm.
“We’ve got a lot of depth and the young boys played well. If I’m out for round one I’m pretty sure we can cover it.”
The injury comes as another major blow for the Broncos pack following young gun Payne Haas’ suspension earlier this week.
Pangai Jr will undergo scans on Sunday but admits he could be absent for the statr of the season.

Last edited:
If both TPJ and Haas are our for round 1, I’d expect the forward pack to look something like:

8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Joffa
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Glenn

14. Staggs
15. Su’A
16. Flegler/Mago
17. Carrigan/Mago

All the talk from Taggers in the pre-season really had me convinced he was ready to finish his career with a flurry a la Parker. Sadly he bombed dreadfully last night when he was supposed to be convincing Siebs he still has it.
Huh? Wtf did he do wrong?

Apart from when he got stripped and just stopped appealing to the ref, i didnt think he did a lot wrong, but i'm not sure he or Fensom really pushed their cases a great deal. Carrigan and Flegler would be in front of both currently imo, but at the same time it was a very average Wynnum side. Let see what happens against the Titans.

Let's face it @Huge he set the bar of expectations fairly low and failed to achieve it. His runs were few and far between when he was on and they were bog average. In terms of riding a bike he achieved that - adequately. I know Sharks are your second team and you have a soft spot for him, but be serious with all the raw talent running about he did nothing that made me think hey this guy is the real deal this year.

I know Wynnum aren't an NRL side, but the way Carrigan was carrying the ball and his involvement in defence makes me think he'll be our lock by the end of the season. TPJ might go from the penthouse (Broncos or rorters) to the shit house (Eels, Titans, or Dogs) if this hamstring is a common occurrence.

If it were up to me I'd be starting Staggs in the centres and sticking Bird on the bench as utility until he asks for a release from his contract.

Staggs was/is unbelievable.

Would give Bird a chance to play in the forwards anyway. That's what he's wanted for years.

I love how Tesi Niu is always lurking around the ball too. Reminds me A LOT of Slater in that regard.

He looks like he'll be ready for first grade in the next year or two.

I'd say the only thing he really may need to work on is his fitness in order to have an impact for the full 80 in NRL

Last edited:
If it were up to me I'd be starting Staggs in the centres and sticking Bird on the bench as utility until he asks for a release from his contract.

Staggs was/is unbelievable.

Would give Bird a chance to play in the forwards anyway. That's what he's wanted for years.

Sounds good to me. We get to play a centre with a tonne of potential on less than half the money and use the excess cap to retain must keeps

TPJ is pretty much going to be Hodges, isn't he? A gun, but will probably only play half a season on average due to hamstrings.

Niggling injuries this season for TPJ might not be the worst thing for the club funnily enough, we've got the young guns to cover for him, and if he re-signs this season, it'll probably be long-term and on slightly less money than he would've got otherwise, I'd have the club doctors in his ear every week saying "You just never know with hamstrings, sometimes they never come good, gotta secure your future while you can".

I wouldn't be stressing too much about it right now, it's still early days for him. Plenty of players are injury prone, until they're not.

Niggling injuries this season for TPJ might not be the worst thing for the club funnily enough, we've got the young guns to cover for him, and if he re-signs this season, it'll probably be long-term and on slightly less money than he would've got otherwise, I'd have the club doctors in his ear every week saying "You just never know with hamstrings, sometimes they never come good, gotta secure your future while you can".

I wouldn't be stressing too much about it right now, it's still early days for him. Plenty of players are injury prone, until they're not.

Well said, especially the last part. Remember when Tedesco was too injury prone to achieve his potential?

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/02/24/injury-update-tevita-pangai-junior/

Injury Update: Tevita Pangai Junior

Author
broncos.com.au
Timestamp
Sun 24 Feb 2019, 04:25 PM

Concerns have eased for the Broncos after forward Tevita Pangai junior was assessed by medical staff this morning.
Pangai left the field in the 18th minute of last night's 26-12 trial win over the Wynnum Seagulls, complaining of hamstring soreness.
However the signs were positive when he presented this morning.
“Tevita had a bit of a scare in the game but at present it looks like it is something only mild in nature,” said Broncos’ Head of Performance Paul Devlin.
“We expect him to be back running as early as tomorrow and we will assess it from there.”
The Broncos will have their final trial match of the pre-season this Saturday.
The team for that game against the Gold Coast Titans at Cbus Super Stadium will be named on Tuesday.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Inknition
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Cavalo
  • Maroon4life
  • sooticus
  • something
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • DrGee
  • bb_gun
  • Bish
  • Pablo
  • levikaden
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.