2019 Broncos Line-up

whats everyone's thoughts on Perese? heard he didn't play especially well in the logan game - yet is in the 30? did he even trial?

Someone posted that Redcliffe (or whoever has him) aren't particularly impressed with him and his attitude to training, and he might not even make their best starting side. I can't remember who it was, you could probably do a search, and I don't know how well that person knows what's going on, but that's all that I've heard of him so far.

Players that have left and become better:

1. Boyd
2. Tupou
3. Tate (He didn’t get worse but probably not better either, he was already very good)
4. Hodges
5. Winterstein (Arguable for sure)
6. Norman (hehe I’m struggling with halves clearly)
7. Taylor (well he’s actually gone backwards but I can’t think of many halves)
8. Hannant
9. Granville
10. Alvaro
11. TLL
12. T.Sims
13. Arrow

14. Baptiste
15. Te’o
16. Wallace (this is a Taylor situation, he’s actually gone backwards)
17. Lui

1. Boyd
2. Tupou
3. Tate (He didn’t get worse but probably not better either, he was already very good)
4. Hodges
8. Hannant
9. Granville
10. Alvaro
11. TLL
12. T.Sims
13. Arrow

14. Baptiste
15. Te’o
17. Lui

Civo is probably the main one, he played his best footy at the Panfers.
Berrick Barnes
Michael Ennis, arguably. He was MVP when Sharks won the premiership IMO.
Reece Robinson
Ben Barba

1. Boyd
2. Tupou
4. Hodges
8. Hannant
9. Granville
10. Alvaro
11. TLL
12. T.Sims
13. Arrow

14. Baptiste
15. Te’o
17. Lui
Out of all those I'd only really count boyd, teo, arrow and possibly Wallace as players that improved enough to no longer be shit, improved enough to make it a regrettable loss or were worth anywhere near the money they wanted. And even some on that list didn't even play 1st grade for the broncos lol.
Our recruitment and retention has been nowhere near as bad as a lot of people like to say on here, we missed out on a few once in a generation players because the storm recruited our junior talent spotting team and went on a recruitment blitz in South East qld the same time as our club got arrogant (Cullen) and the greatest junior recruiter of all time left us (still missing cyrell!)

Last edited:
Civo is probably the main one, he played his best footy at the Panfers.
Berrick Barnes
Michael Ennis, arguably. He was MVP when Sharks won the premiership IMO.
Reece Robinson
Ben Barba
Michael ennis definetly. We were Ben barba's rehab, if we stuck with him we would have got the same as what barba go but it was the right move to let him go I believe

Last edited:
Ennis is a good shout. I thought he was the Broncos best in his final season at the club and he remained one of the best dummy halves in the competition.

Another dummy half who came to bite Brisbane was Luke Priddis. Bennett was trying to balance the salary cap and thought Luke was expendable. It proved a big mistake and it took Brisbane years to recover. Some may argue that they never quite found a dummy half as good as him again, despite settling on McCullough for 11 seasons.

Ennis is a good shout. I thought he was the Broncos best in his final season at the club and he remained one of the best dummy halves in the competition.

Another dummy half who came to bite Brisbane was Luke Priddis. Bennett was trying to balance the salary cap and thought Luke was expendable. It proved a big mistake and it took Brisbane years to recover. Some may argue that they never quite found a dummy half as good as him again, despite settling on McCullough for 11 seasons.

Funnily enough, I had Priddis originally in my list but felt it was a little too long ago and he was decent before he came to Brissy, Same as Ennis, Barba, Prince.

I completely forgot Gagai.

Updated:

1. Boyd
2. Tupou
3. Tate
4. Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Norman
7. Prince
8. Alvaro
9. Priddis
10. Civoniceva
11. Te’o
12. T.Sims
13. Arrow

14. Ennis
15. Hannant
16. Wallace
17. Stagg

But should the Broncos have regret letting those players go? Let's review...

1. Darius Boyd - Yes, especially since Brisbane had the option of keeping Darius but decided to go with Steve Michaels. Even at the time, the decision seemed flimsy since Michaels had suffered two serious injuries. The decision was only made to look worse when Karmichael walked out on the club and Darius went onto win a Clive Churchill medal for another club.

2. Tame Tupou - Am I missing something here? Tame Tupou joined Bradford in 2007 and by 2008 his career was plagued by injury. Maybe you meant Will Tupou who was a part of an awful Cowboys side that should have won the wooden spoon. Neither were missed.

3. Brent Tate - Left because he insisted on playing right centre and was never going to displace Hodges. He was never quite the same after the ACL tear in Origin 3 2007. It took away his pace and he had to modify his game to become more of a team player. He made two remarkable comebacks, and he's a true legend of the game, but Brisbane made the best call by everybody.

4. Justin Hodges - All things being equal, this actually worked out for the Broncos. After his infamous Origin II 2002 performance, Hodges turned his career around to become one of the best players in the competition. Then at the peak of his powers, Hodges tore his ACL and was a shadow of himself for the rest of his Roosters stint. Brisbane ended up getting Hodges at the fraction of the price and ended up winning a premiership because of him.

5. Dane Gagai - The Yow Yeh injury was disasterous for two reasons. It robbed us the opportunity of seeing a fan favourite have a long and prosperous career and it also cost Brisbane their hottest prospect. Dane Gagai was a stand-out back for the Broncos and everybody knew how talented he was. If you paired him up with Justin Hodges, you had an Origin combination in the making (they did actually end up playing Origin together...and they helped set a record). Instead they threw Dale Copley, a centre onto the wing and Gagai acted up when he saw the writing on the wall.

6. Corey Norman - Brisbane would have liked to have kept him for the 2014 season, but given the choice, I'm sure they'd much rather Anthony Milford. Has never managed to live up to the expectations he set in 2010 or surpass the impact he made in 2012.

7. Scott Prince - Leaving Brisbane was the best career move Prince made, but it would have been hard watching Prince win premierships as you're struggling to find a proper replacement for Alf.

8. Daniel Alvaro - Never played first grade for the club and took him years of NSW Cup to make a decent impact in the NRL. He's a good role model for the ISC, but I can't see why the Broncos would be kicking stones.

9. Luke Priddis - Bennett's biggest regret was letting Priddis walk, which is saying something given his decision to release The King. The decision cost the Broncos and they could never find a consistent option at 9. Even Berrigan who went onto win the Clive Churchill medal was only a short-term option.

10. Petero Civoniceiva - Absolutely, although I disagree with him having his best years at Penrith. Petero had been a world class player for years at the Broncos and just continued that good form through to the Panthers. I don't think Bennett white anted the Broncos, but his decision to let Civoniceiva walk certainly hurt the club.

11. Ben Te'o - Yes, if only because it robbed Brisbane of their biggest advantage in 2011-12, the strength of their bench. I disagree with him playing his best football at Souths though. Souths as a team were playing better football, but Maguire was never able to make Te'o into the weapon he was at the Broncos.

12. Tariq Sims - It's taken him eight seasons to live up to his potential. Like with Alvaro, I doubt the Broncos regret it, especially given the opportunity cost associated with Tariq.

13. Jai Arrow - As it currently stands, I'd say so but I believe the Broncos will be proven right long term. I'm worried about Arrow's well-being and how long he'll be able to throw himself into his work. Quality player, but Brisbane have a few of them and they were in the mix at the time of Arrow's contract signing.

14. Michael Ennis - Of all the players who could have replaced Priddis, Ennis was the brightest prospect of the lot. It's worse when you consider that he was replaced with Aaron Gorrell and Andrew McCullough was rushed straight from 20s to first grade with minimal QCup in between. In a perfect scenario, McCullough spends 2009 honing his craft for Norths while Ennis is lending his expertise to the club.

15. Ben Hannant - Frustratingly so. Brisbane wanted to keep Hannant, but the Bulldogs came in with an offer that made him one of the highest paid props in the game and Hannant wasn't settling for less. He actually lived up to the pay cheque in 2009, but dropped off significantly in 2010. He came back to Brisbane on marquee money and never managed to live up to his 2009 season. Then he went to the Cowboys on less money and became a big part of their maiden premiership.

16. Jarrod Wallace - He's definitely had more opportunity outside of Brisbane, but I doubt the Broncos seriously regret letting him go. Everytime he was afforded a starting opportunity he struggled and it was always off the bench he played his best footy. He just wasn't worth that sort of money to Brisbane that the Titans were willing to pay and it worked out for everyone.

17. David Stagg - Won the Doggy M Lock of the Year, which I spose is worthy of consideration, but once Henjak moved Parker to the middle, whatever regret there was had completely subsided. Stagg played some good footy with the Dogs, but I still believe his best year was 2005. He was really unlucky not to play Origin that year and by the time he was chosen, he wasn't quite the same. Still, a very underrated piece of the 2006 premiership puzzle.

TL;DR - Boyd, Gagai, Prince, Priddis, Civoniceiva, Te'o, Arrow, Ennis, Hannant were all regrets. Others could be considered regrets in the short term, but it worked out for Brisbane. I still think there's a few players out there that have better cases like the ones you initially named (Winterstein, TLL, Taylor).

Someone posted that Redcliffe (or whoever has him) aren't particularly impressed with him and his attitude to training, and he might not even make their best starting side. I can't remember who it was, you could probably do a search, and I don't know how well that person knows what's going on, but that's all that I've heard of him so far.

I know a lot of guys at Redcliffe and I must admit I haven't heard anything negative about him.

Funnily enough, I had Priddis originally in my list but felt it was a little too long ago and he was decent before he came to Brissy, Same as Ennis, Barba, Prince.

I completely forgot Gagai.

Updated:

1. Boyd
2. Tupou
3. Tate
4. Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Norman
7. Prince
8. Alvaro
9. Priddis
10. Civoniceva
11. Te’o
12. T.Sims
13. Arrow

14. Ennis
15. Hannant
16. Wallace
17. Stagg
Ash Harrison also went on to be a gun.

Wiser Roberts embraces leadership role at Brisbane

Author
Tony WebeckNRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Wed 6 Mar 2019, 12:08 PM
Share on social media

Deep down you suspect that James Roberts considers the notion somewhat ridiculous.
Ask him if at 26 years of age and with two children he feels like a senior member of the Brisbane Broncos and you receive a quizzical look with the hint of a cheeky grin.
He knows we know his history – of leaving three clubs in controversial circumstances before landing in Brisbane – but he prefers to look forward.
Roberts' recent history is a far cry from the headlines that plagued a teen who came into the NRL after a difficult upbringing.
He's taken time to mature but as a NSW Origin representative and with teenage talents surrounding him everywhere he looks at Red Hill, Roberts understands that he is now a senior member of the squad, as ridiculous as that may sound.
"I guess I'm on the older side of the team these days which is a bit weird," Roberts tells NRL.com.
"I'm 26 now and on the older side so it shows how much youth we've got in the side, which is pretty exciting.
"I wish I was 19 again. I'd do a few things different, but we won't go into that.
roberts-j--190302_jo_61320.jpg

Broncos centre James Roberts.©Jason O'Brien/NRL Photos
"It's exciting to see all the young talent in the team. A lot of the forwards are so young and so big and strong and have big futures.
"For half of them it's a learning year and for the others it's about working on what they did last year and excelling."
When Roberts left the Titans at the end of the 2015 season due to irregularities with his contract, Brisbane didn't appear to be the obvious fit.
Other than the chance to work with coach Wayne Bennett on a career resurrection, Roberts' flashy style and wayward ways didn't match the culture the club was built upon.
Three years on and he has scored 36 tries in 73 appearances and earned the respect of other senior members of the squad.
"That comes back to maturity and growing up," veteran hooker Andrew McCullough said of Roberts' growth.
"In that backline he's got a lot of young guys and Jimmy has played some big games of football now.
"He should be able to grow up and give some lessons to those younger guys and mentor the likes of Kotoni Staggs and those sort of guys along the way.
"If he can culturally help those young guys come through and teach them about what he did right and wrong I think that will help them.
"He didn't have the smoothest of pathways but he's come out at the right end. He's going to be a big-game player for us and we need Jimmy to be right on from the start."
Of the 22 Broncos who took the field in last Saturday's 25-22 trial win over the Titans only five were older than Roberts, who has 125 NRL games under his belt.
>
Match Highlights: Titans v Broncos
His past will never leave him completely but the lightning-fast centre is determined to be better – both on and off the field – every day moving forward.
"I try to look at the future and take it day by day. I don't really dwell on the past," he said.
"I'm just hoping to build on last year and try and get better as a person and as a player. You can always get better in any aspect of your life so that's what I’m working on at the moment."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/06...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=NetworkContent

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.