2019 Broncos Line-up

Are you for real?
Are you implying the attitude and hunger of the team this season was as great as it was in 2015?

I don't really think the players attitude and hunger is much different tbh then what it is now. A lot of it is lack of experience and poor execution.

I don't really think the players attitude and hunger is much different tbh then what it is now. A lot of it is lack of experience and poor execution.
You must be watching another sport mate. We are no where near where we were attitude wise in 2015 and the way you can clearly see this is in the 2018 teams defense. We are extremely poor defensively and defense is all about attitude, and the reason we have poor execution is because our attitude is poor. Quite simple.

You must be watching another sport mate. We are no where near where we were attitude wise in 2015 and the way you can clearly see this is in the 2018 teams defense. We are extremely poor defensively and defense is all about attitude, and the reason we have poor execution is because our attitude is poor. Quite simple.

I dont think you can level at any of the players that they arent trying at all because they do. Our defence isnt poor because the players arent trying. Its poor because they tackle poorly and they dont have the know how our 2015 side had. We have a lack of experience and leadership compared to that team, plus it was a better all round team than we currently have. This current team has a lot of potential, but its simply not as good as our 2015 side. Stick Hodges, a Darius Boyd close to his peak form, Corey Parker and Matt Gillett in our side this year and we probably finish top 4 quite comfortably.

Last edited:
This team's hunger and attitude isn't anywhere near what it was in 2015.

It can't be blamed on "lack of experience." We have over 2000 games of experience in the side, the issue isn't a lack of experience.

Defence is all about attitude. We had a much better attitude and stronger mentality in 2015, that's why we were a brick wall.

I dont think you can level at any of the players that they are trying at all because they do. Our defence isnt poor because the players arent trying. Its poor because they tackle poorly and they dont have the know how our 2015 side had. We have a lack of experience and leadership compared to that team, plus it was a better all round team than we currently have. This current team has a lot of potential, but its simply not as good as our 2015 side. Stick Hodges, a Darius Boyd close to his peak form, Corey Parker and Matt Gillett in our side this year and we probably finish top 4 quite comfortably.
I'm pretty confident in saying that if a professional NRL player doesn't know how to tackle properly then he shouldn't be playing NRL. How don't we know how to tackle properly? It's poor attitude that keeps us falling off tackles and arm grabbing at thin air, this happens because the players aren't up for the game mentally and they just aren't switched on mentally to tackle hard and complete a tackle plus our defensive reads were poor and lazy this season. Wayne has implemented great systems into us and the team knows what to do and how to do it, they just didn't care enough and you didn't know what attitude the team would bring to most games this year. This team has amazing potential but until they get real and fix their attitudes, potential only gets you so far.

Fifita in our prop rotation? He isnt a prop. And Haas has had one decent cameo from the bench. I'm not saying he wont prove his worth next year, but people get so wrapped up in the hype with some of these young players they dont actually see what they have actually done on the pitch. Its going to be a good battle though in the trials this year if they are all fit. We have 4 very good options in the back row who are a genuine chance of playing, and probably 6-7 props as well fighting out for places.

Quite honestly, out of our young props i'd have Carrigan on the bench in front of any of them. He was outstanding in a team that wasnt particularly good at all and he just plays tough and takes the type of runs you would expect from a more senior forward.

Who says they need to be a prop to provide impact? Fifita and Haas have shown they are more than capable of providing impact off the bench. So has Ofahengaue. Keep in mind we also have Savelio who is going to surprise some people when he gets a chance. We don't need TPJ on the bench anymore.

So I went through this thread and tallied up all the names in the team list based on position. For the bench I counted each remaining players total from the starting 13 combined with their bench mentions. I did not account for which side of the field they were named on as I think that over complicates the issue and some were obvious errors to me (such as Gillett names on the left a few times. Players with a * were agreed upon by all posters.

BHQ 2019 top 17 so far:

Fullback
D. Boyd*

Wingers
C. Oates* - J Isaako*

Centres
J. Bird - J. Roberts*

5/8
A.Milford

Halfback
K. Nikorima

Props
M.Lodge - J. Offa

Hooker
Macca*

2nd row
M.Gillett* - J. Su’A

Lock
J. McGuire

Bench
TPJ - D. Fafita - P. Haas - K. Staggs

This team's hunger and attitude isn't anywhere near what it was in 2015.

It can't be blamed on "lack of experience." We have over 2000 games of experience in the side, the issue isn't a lack of experience.

Defence is all about attitude. We had a much better attitude and stronger mentality in 2015, that's why we were a brick wall.

So are you trying to tell me the team dont want to win games? Are you trying to tell me they deliberately go out to miss tackles and play poorly. You have to be kidding if you think they are doing that.

As for the experience thing, our forward pack in 2015 contained Gillett, Parker, Thiaday, Blair and Glenn. Its not even comparable to the experience these guys currently have. How many games have Lodge, TPJ, Offa, and the others who have featured in the majority of games this year played compared to those guys? How about a bit of fairness and compare the experience in this current team to our 2015 one.

Its not rocket science, some of them are lacking confidence, some of them are just out of form. As i said, some of them just aren't as good as the players we had in 2015. And yes, if we had a Corey Parker and Matt Gillett helping out of young guys in the forwards they would be better for it, same as if we had an in form Boyd and Justin Hodges in the backs helping out. I'd agree we probably had a mentally stronger side in 2015, but again, thats because we had a lot more players who had been there, done that and got the t-shirt at the highest level. The side just had a harder edge and a bit more mongrel than the team we have fielded most of this year.

Are you for real?
Are you implying the attitude and hunger of the team this season was as great as it was in 2015?

No, I’m saying that simply watching highlight packages won’t give you an accurate representation of a season-wide period.

It may surprise some people here that we did actually lose some games in 2015. There were times where our attitude and hunger appeared to be sorely lacking too.

We had more consistency in 2015, at least towards the back end of the season, but our peaks back then were no higher than our peaks this year.

Who says they need to be a prop to provide impact? Fifita and Haas have shown they are more than capable of providing impact off the bench. So has Ofahengaue. Keep in mind we also have Savelio who is going to surprise some people when he gets a chance. We don't need TPJ on the bench anymore.

I think its fairly obvious i was talking about our prop rotation when i made the comment about the impact. Any player can have an impact in their own way from the bench.

And like it or not, Haas hasnt shown anything yet in the scheme of things ( i'm fairly certain he will though ). He was solid in his first game, got knocked out in his second and injured in his third. He hasnt really had any more impact yet than Mago for example in our NRL side yet.

No, I’m saying that simply watching highlight packages won’t give you an accurate representation of a season-wide period.

It may surprise some people here that we did actually lose some games in 2015. There were times where our attitude and hunger appeared to be sorely lacking too.

We had more consistency in 2015, at least towards the back end of the season, but our peaks back then were no higher than our peaks this year.
We got dusted by Souths by 30 pts in round 1 and took a few rounds to get going. For me it was how we played during the origin period and then went up a couple of gears heading towards the finals that set that season up. Wayne had the right recipe in that season, plus we had **** all injuries.

I'm pretty confident in saying that if a professional NRL player doesn't know how to tackle properly then he shouldn't be playing NRL. How don't we know how to tackle properly? It's poor attitude that keeps us falling off tackles and arm grabbing at thin air, this happens because the players aren't up for the game mentally and they just aren't switched on mentally to tackle hard and complete a tackle plus our defensive reads were poor and lazy this season. Wayne has implemented great systems into us and the team knows what to do and how to do it, they just didn't care enough and you didn't know what attitude the team would bring to most games this year. This team has amazing potential but until they get real and fix their attitudes, potential only gets you so far.

You are twisting things. I never said they didnt know how to tackle. I said they tackled poorly, which is poor execution. I'd agree we make poor reads, but again, thats not down to a lack of effort, its a poor decision making. These blokes just dont go out to intentionally play poorly, they dont all have bad attitudes and they certainly care, but if you are playing badly, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, players lose form.

And as i said before, you have guys like Blair, Parker, Gillett and Hodges leading the way in that 2015 side. We just havent had that kind of top level, battle hardened experience in the side this year. Compare that side to the one thats played the majority of this year.

At fullback, Boyd in 2015 was miles better than Boyd in 2018. Hodges and Reed were a better center pairing than any of the pairings we have used this year. Our wingers this year i'd say were better than 2015. Our halves much better in 2015 than in 2018. Our forward pack was better in 2015 than it has been in 2018. Overall, we were just a better team in 2015. That side had a lot of players at the top of their game, our current side is still learning. Thats the big difference. Young players have lapses in their game, and thats why we have been so inconsistent.

So are you trying to tell me the team dont want to win games? Are you trying to tell me they deliberately go out to miss tackles and play poorly. You have to be kidding if you think they are doing that.

Ummm no..

I've been saying what the problem is all season. And it's not because of this bullshit lack of experience excuse people keep dishing up.

Ummm no..

I've been saying what the problem is all season. And it's not because of this bullshit lack of experience excuse people keep dishing up.

Yeah it is. It’s the reason for the inconsistency and the reason why errors effected us so badly.

Spot on Dee , yes bad attitude , leads to bad performances, but that's the job of the coaching staff and the Coach. Senior players lead by example and I would have thought Anthony Milford on his money , should have be playing out of his skin.! A coach like Bellyache would have been the sort of coach who would have put a rocket up half these blokes , and even cleaned half of them out, but obviously not WB. They are playing for more than just money , so if their not earning it they don't deserve it. A restructure is needed badly , if we can see it why can't they?

Yeah it is. It’s the reason for the inconsistency and the reason why errors effected us so badly.

No, it isn't.

The rubbish we've dished up this year has mostly been from the senior players.

Our side going into the finals had more experience than Melbourne. More experience than the Rabbitohs. In fact, our best 17 has about 100 games of experience less than Melbourne's best 17. So why aren't Melbourne and Rabbitohs struggling? We've got plenty of experience in the key positions, plenty of finals experience.

It's partly due to better leadership. It's also because they have a better attitude and stronger mentality. They have a coach that can get the best out of them consistently and has a gameplan that suits their strengths.

They have that hunger and determination. Something we haven't had since mid-2016.

No, it isn't.

The rubbish we've dished up this year has mostly been from the senior players.

Our side going into the finals had more experience than Melbourne. More experience than the Rabbitohs. In fact, our best 17 has about 100 games of experience less than Melbourne's best 17. So why aren't Melbourne and Rabbitohs struggling? We've got plenty of experience in the key positions, plenty of finals experience.

It's partly due to better leadership. It's also because they have a better attitude and stronger mentality. They have a coach that can get the best out of them consistently and has a gameplan that suits their strengths.

They have that hunger and determination. Something we haven't had since mid-2016.
You keep spouting this but every team you've compared us to has experience in the important positions. You know, the players that carry their team every week. We have had 200-300 game players and debutantes littered through the team each week. We struggled to get the same players out every week. Our halfback may have played 90 games but 60 of them were for 10 to 15 minutes. The bloke who more than likely would have been our starting centre had to start on the bench to get any experience. Our best prop has spent the last two years out of the game, our experienced players have been carrying injuries, our lock is blind, our superstar signing is broken, our halfback protector was too. Lack of experience is a fair excuse.

Ummm no..

Ummm yes. We lack experience. It's a fact, can't see how you can deny it really. Sua, Staggs, Fifita, Lodge, TPJ, Opacic, Issako, Mago have all featured quite a lot. Thaiday, Glenn, Moose and Boyd are about our only players who featured regularly who have real experience if you are being honest. We just don't have experience and leadership on the field when things get tough. It affects our consistency.

Last edited:

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • broncs30
  • Battler
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • jarro65
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • bert_lifts
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Organix
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • The True King
  • bb_gun
  • Johnny92
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.