2019 Broncos Line-up

Experience and Leadership go hand in hand in our struggles. Young guys need the older players to lead the way sometimes, and our leadership group isn't good at leading.

Brisbane lack that real hard-edged competitive mongrel. Which was, I gather, part of the reason behind Bird's signing.

Also another reason why Brisbane need to keep Glenn. As good as the young crop is, still need that older head. Fingers crossed Gillett can get back to his best.

Also think Brisbane need more out of McCullough, therefore Turpin off the bench. Two-fold of getting spark from Turpin and keeping McCullough fresher. And McGuire back to prop considering many backrowers, starting alongside Ofahengaue who I reckon was the club's most consistent this season.

Last edited:
Could someone pls share the article about nikorima's starting spot that's on the courier mail. Thanks

Last edited:
BRISBANE halfback Kodi Nikorima is facing a fierce battle to retain the Broncos’ famous No. 7 jumper next season. Blindside understands the Broncos have privately discussed using Nikorima in a hooker/super-sub interchange role next season following the recent purchase of rookie Roosters halfback Sean O’Sullivan.

Last month, former NSW hooker Michael Ennis, now a leading expert commentator on Fox Sports, claimed Brisbane could not win a premiership with Nikorima at halfback.

His comments caused a stir but have since been vindicated following Brisbane’s 48-18 finals drubbing against the Dragons last week.

When Sullivan weighed up signing with the Broncos, the prospect of moving Nikorima to a Mr Fixit utility role was mentioned. Sullivan eventually inked a deal, believing he is a genuine chance of wearing the Broncos’ No. 7 jumper in 2019, but Nikorima will not give up without a fight.

While he has his critics, the Kiwi Test utility had an impressive finish to the season and is maturing as a halfback. Nikorima was one of Brisbane’s better players in their Red V rout and has been added to the club’s leadership group with halves partner Anthony Milford.

“They are open with the younger players and it’s good for us to all have a word and say in what happens in meetings,” prop Joe Ofahengaue said.

source: Courier Mail

Kyle laybutt ??? Wasn't he a really promising prospect for NQ ?

Kyle laybutt ??? Wasn't he a really promising prospect for NQ ?

He looked a decent player, but I didn't think much of him when I saw playing for mackay. Think he actually had a run at hooker earlier in the year.

Niko would make a gun hooker if he learns how to tackle

Niko would make a gun hooker if he learns how to tackle
I was thinking about this and i think hed be far less exposed in the middle. Harder to isolate and able to just sprint up without leaving us too open. Hed only have to be willing to put his body on the line to slow/cut them down for the big guys to come in. His speed off the mark could actually be a makor boost to our defence

Not sure how I feel about this Sean O' Sullivan fella. I seem to recall a bit of optimism in the media when we signed Dargan last year for a possible halfback. We all know how that turned out. Dunno why he didnt get a look in, maybe he wasn't much chop.

Be fucked if I know why we struggle so much to unearth/sign a good halfback. Other teams seem to be able to do it. You'd think with our resources it wouldn't be such a bloody hard thing to do.

1.Issako
2.Oates
3.Roberts
4.Staggs
5.Boyd
6.Bird
7.Milf
8.Lodge
9.Macca
10.TPJ
11.Sua
12.Gillette
13.Mcguire
14.Niko
15.Haas
16.Offa
17.Fifita
Give Issako first crack and give him a full preseason. Boyd has been a fine winger at rep level.
Good mixture of youth and experience around the park.

1.Issako
2.Oates
3.Roberts
4.Staggs
5.Boyd
6.Bird
7.Milf
8.Lodge
9.Macca
10.TPJ
11.Sua
12.Gillette
13.Mcguire
14.Niko
15.Haas
16.Offa
17.Fifita
Give Issako first crack and give him a full preseason. Boyd has been a fine winger at rep level.
Good mixture of youth and experience around the park.

I actually think there is a good chance most of this side is what happens next year. I really do have so many reservations about Isaako at fullback though. I'd be so keen to try Roberts there. He has a beautiful pass on him and imagine what he could do to staggered defensive lines.

There is a reason why Steve Renouf wasn't moved to fullback and didn't play there.

The same reasoning applies to Roberts.

Renouf primarily played in the centres cause there was little need for him to play out on the wing or at fullback(he did actually play games out on the wing early in his career) because of the quality of players available in those positions. Now I'm not arguing he wasn't best suited in the centres(that certainly is where he made his career) but I wouldn't have ruled him out elsewhere.

Last edited:
And that reason is?

He was a rubbish fullback.

Issako will never be our fullback until develops a passing game and gets a bit of creativity into his play. I don't think it's ever going to happen honestly, so it's wing for him imo for the forseable future.

It seems like most ball hogs never really develop a good passing game. Hoffman, Dugan, Johnson etc have always remained very limited.

Last edited:
01 Kodi Nikorima
02 Corey Oates
03 James Roberts
04 Darius Boyd (c)
05 Jamayne Isaako
06 Jack Bird
07 Anthony Milford
08 Matt Lodge
09 Andrew McCullough
10 Joe Ofahengaue
11 Tevita Pangai Junior
12 Matt Gillett
13 Josh McGuire

14 Alex Glenn
15 Payne Haas
16 David Fifita
17 Jaydn Su’A

18 Jordan Kahu
19 Patrick Mago
20 Sean O’Sullivan
21 Jake Turpin
22 George Fai
23 Patrick Carrigan
24 Gehamat Shibasaki
25 Andre Savelio
26 Kotoni Staggs
27 Jonus Pearson
28 Cory Paix (could be development)

Active Now

• Midean
  • Rah88
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • Big Del
  • Battler
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Mister Wright
  • the_next
  • broncos4life
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.