2019 Broncos Line-up

He might have to work on his fitness’: Andrew McCullough’s reality check for Tevita Pangai Jnr

Andrew McCullough has issued a reality check to Brisbane teammate Tevita Pangai as the search to replace departed lock Josh McGuire heats up.

• November 23, 2018 8:00am
  • by Murray Wenzel
  • Source: AAP
fec14448662508b9edd93474b92196a6

Teammate Andrew McCulough says Tevita Pangai Junior needs to work on his fitness.Source: AAP
The Queensland and Australian No.13’s sudden shift to North Queensland has left a gaping hole of quality and experience in a Broncos side also without the retired Sam Thaiday next year.
Hooker McCullough isn’t sure who will fill the void in the middle but knows that Pangai, despite his game-breaking ability, had some work to do if it is to be him. UP

“He might have to work on his fitness a bit,” McCullough said of the Tongan star after returning to fitness training on Thursday.
“He’s a naturally powerful guy, but playing in the middle requires big minutes, back-to-back efforts and he’s got a lot work to do on that.”
Pangai has committed to the Broncos for 2019 but would be free to follow current coach Wayne Bennett to South Sydney next year.
Unfazed by reports Brisbane are targeting NSW hooking rival Damien Cook, McCullough will remain at Red Hill until 2021.

Lots of hamburgers and hotdogs in US of A.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/5f69e3b2791b7869218c6017c7a2998a

Last edited:
Unfazed by reports Brisbane are targeting NSW hooking rival Damien Cook, McCullough will remain at Red Hill until 2021.

Wasn't it last reported we weren't targeting Cook?

Have a look at Haas and Gillo sporting the new away strip on the Broncos website! Gillo is not a small guy even taking into account he has lost some muscle mass, but when he stands next to young Haas he looks relatively small. I'm not knocking Gillo (I love the guy) I'm just in awe of the size of Haas. If he can stay on the field for a full season I have no doubt our attendance numbers will increase. Good times ahead.:zlumi:

Last edited:
In rugby league terms, he didn’t get much of a chance to be ‘young’. 2-3 years into it he was handed the keys to the kingdom, expected to fill Locky’s shoes and ended up with broken Hunt and then inexperienced Niko as halves partners. He’s still a young half, and he’ll hit his prime in the next few years.

He is 24 now and has been at the club now for 3 years entering into his 4th. This is really his big season to stamp his authority on the competition like most players normally do after 3-4 years in the NRL.

He is 24 now and has been at the club now for 3 years entering into his 4th. This is really his big season to stamp his authority on the competition like most players normally do after 3-4 years in the NRL.

I agree, I just thought it was worth alluding to the pressure this guy has been under from a relatively young age. It’s time for him to perform at his best, consistently.

I agree, I just thought it was worth alluding to the pressure this guy has been under from a relatively young age. It’s time for him to perform at his best, consistently.
I think it may also depend on what the coaching staff is asking him to do and therefore his responsibilities for the team.

People suggest that we don't play with structure but I think we play the exact opposite with too much structure.

Milf therefore has to learn how to create points through play execution rather than relying on opportunistic plays (off loads, quick PTB, etc.).

As part of his development he needs to learn these things anyway, but it would be handy if we released the shackles every now and then and allowed the halves to play off the back of our pack... or at least put systems in place to exploit the opportunities our pack creates.

I think that is where we will see Seibold come through as Rabbits played a bit more heads up this year and looked to exploit quick ruck plays whenever possible.

Last edited:
Have a look at Haas and Gillo sporting the new away strip on the Broncos website! Gillo is not a small guy even taking into account he has lost some muscle mass, but when he stands next to young Haas he looks relatively small. I'm not knocking Gillo (I love the guy) I'm just in awe of the size of Haas. If he can stay on the field for a full season I have no doubt our attendance numbers will increase. Good times ahead.:zlumi:

It's strange how camera angles can work. I was flying out to the states and was behind him in line , he didn't seem to talk but was a big boy.

It's strange how camera angles can work. I was flying out to the states and was behind him in line , he didn't seem to talk but was a big boy.
Standing next to him is one thing , I bet you were glad you did not have to sit next to him on a flight to the States.

I think it may also depend on what the coaching staff is asking him to do and therefore his responsibilities for the team.

People suggest that we don't play with structure but I think we play the exact opposite with too much structure.

Milf therefore has to learn how to create points through play execution rather than relying on opportunistic plays (off loads, quick PTB, etc.).

As part of his development he needs to learn these things anyway, but it would be handy if we released the shackles every now and then and allowed the halves to play off the back of our pack... or at least put systems in place to exploit the opportunities our pack creates.

I think that is where we will see Seibold come through as Rabbits played a bit more heads up this year and looked to exploit quick ruck plays whenever possible.

Tough spot for Milf. He is an instinct player by nature, but it’s his job now to run the attack, so he sacrificed his running game to enhance his kicking and ball playing/ “game management”. He was our primary support runner, at a time when Wayne locked the offloads down a bit. I would love to see him get back to that, he was so dangerous in support, but it’s a lot on his plate. It’s about balance, and now with some maturity I hope he recognises the moments to run and takes them, and balances it with his improving kicking game. I’m hoping Seibold’s plans allow for some of the great attack we used to have, more open. But that will have to be on the back of an improved defensive attitude.

Tough spot for Milf. He is an instinct player by nature, but it’s his job now to run the attack, so he sacrificed his running game to enhance his kicking and ball playing/ “game management”. He was our primary support runner, at a time when Wayne locked the offloads down a bit. I would love to see him get back to that, he was so dangerous in support, but it’s a lot on his plate. It’s about balance, and now with some maturity I hope he recognises the moments to run and takes them, and balances it with his improving kicking game. I’m hoping Seibold’s plans allow for some of the great attack we used to have, more open. But that will have to be on the back of an improved defensive attitude.

I agree, but I think the most improvement will come other back line positions. I think there were a lot of positives from this year in terms of how Milf improved, but as a whole we looked pretty clunky.
  • A fully fit Fullback hunting through the middle for offloads would help
  • Niko started coming good towards the end of the season. If he continues to improve in the halves, OR goes to the bench for some impact. If Niko does go to the bench and we get a controlling half, then that free Milf up more.
  • Stagg/Bird to get more time in the centres instead of Kahu.

I'm hoping for a lot more from our back line next year.

Standing next to him is one thing , I bet you were glad you did not have to sit next to him on a flight to the States.

That's true but my connecting flight I got an obese man and it was horrendous. I'm 6'2 and 102 kg so I barely got half a seat to myself.

That's true but my connecting flight I got an obese man and it was horrendous. I'm 6'2 and 102 kg so I barely got half a seat to myself.
Jeez I'm just getting over an achillies tendon rupture. I was 103.6 Kgs and only 5'10" so I'd say I was obese. I'd hate to think of the size of your guy. Luckily I've been able to get on a stationary bike these past 3 weeks, lost 4 Kgs already. Should be down to 88Kgs by the end of summer.

Jeez I'm just getting over an achillies tendon rupture. I was 103.6 Kgs and only 5'10" so I'd say I was obese. I'd hate to think of the size of your guy. Luckily I've been able to get on a stationary bike these past 3 weeks, lost 4 Kgs already. Should be down to 88Kgs by the end of summer.

Yeah he was massive. Nice work and good luck with the training.

Brad Fittler starts rep war by naming Tevita Pangai Jr in NSW squad
NSW coach Brad Fittler has ignited a representative tug-of-war with Tonga after naming Broncos powerhouse Tevita Pangai Jr in an extended Blues squad for next year’s State of Origin series.
Pangai Jr was on Friday named in NSW’s 32-man squad for a camp in Sydney on December 14 - just four weeks after the Broncos forward turned out for Tonga in their historic Test against Australia.
As revealed by The Courier-Mail last month, Pangai Jr is considering giving up his Tongan jumper, admitting he may have rushed his decision to rule himself out of NSW Origin selection in March.
e7d0f2265e979824596393e504c2c59d

Tevita Pangai Jr is hot property at representative level. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
Under representative eligibility rules, Pangai Jr can represent both Tonga and NSW because the World Cup semi-finalists are still rated a second-tier nation by the Rugby League International Federation.
The problem, however, relates to timing. It is understood a Test match between Tonga and New Zealand next year is likely to clash with the annual State of Origin series - forcing Pangai Jr to make a decision between NSW and Mate Ma’a.
If Tonga are eventually promoted to tier-one status, which appears likely given their form surge, Pangai Jr would then face the ultimate test of loyalty.
785177915b10af9965d9eb1841b7b8b9

Brad Fittler pulled a move by picking the Broncos star in his extended Blues squad. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
Now the situation for Pangai Jr is real, with Fittler dangling the Origin carrot by including the 113kg wrecking ball alongside Broncos teammates Jack Bird and James Roberts in his extended Blues squad.
“For most of them it will be the first time we’ve seen them since after the (2018) series,” Fittler said.
“It puts a full-stop on finalising the year and getting their feedback from this year’s series, and also allows us an opportunity to look ahead for our defence of the (Origin) shield in 2019.
“It’s always beneficial to get them to spend time together. We won’t be training but having them around each other will only further strengthen the bond they formed this year.”
6e81015431a560537dfc7d2e2359d292

Pangai Jr is currently able to represent both Tonga and NSW. Picture: Anthony Au-Yeung/Getty Images
The 22-year-old, who has been holidaying in America for the past month, recently told The Courier-Mail he is now seriously thinking about playing for the Blues in 2019.
“I don’t have to rush my decision now but it is attractive playing for the state I grew up in,” Pangai Jr said.
“I have played for NSW at junior level ... but I don’t know what it’s like to put on that Origin jersey.”
Pangai Jr says a candid chat with Fittler has given him food for thought.
“’Freddy’ (Fittler) had a conversation with me. He said I’ve got a long career ahead of me and I shouldn’t be ruling out Origin totally,” he said.
“I took that on board.
“I met the Blues guys and had dinner with the team before Origin III and that was awesome.
“I got to experience the Blues culture and it lit the fire in my belly.
“We are trying to grow international footy but in terms of football Origin is the pinnacle. I have a tough decision to make.”
NSW BLUES EXTENDED TRAINING SQUAD

Jack Bird (Brisbane Broncos)
Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Penrith Panthers)
Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders)
Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
Jack De Belin (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)
Blake Ferguson (Parramatta Eels)
Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Ryan James (Gold Coast Titans)
Josh Jackson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)
David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
James Maloney (Penrith Panthers)
Jordan McLean (North Queensland Cowboys)
Latrell Mitchell (Sydney Roosters)
Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Tyrone Peachey (Gold Coast Titans)
Mitchell Pearce (Newcastle Knights)
Tevita Pangai Junior (Brisbane Broncos)
Matt Prior (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
James Roberts (Brisbane Broncos)
Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons)
James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)
Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Paul Vaughan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Aaron Woods (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/ca343e23eab1f33c6a2d087f929d6caf

Last edited:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • IceWorks
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • eazy-duzzit
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.