2019 Broncos Line-up

Kyall

NRL Player
Inglis got moved to centre not to only help the sides attacking with Johnson at the back but also to manage him with his injury history as well. Seibold may easily do the same with Boyd to prolong he’s career.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Inglis got moved to centre not to only help the sides attacking with Johnson at the back but also to manage him with his injury history as well. Seibold may easily do the same with Boyd to prolong he’s career.
A shift of Boyd to the centres at some point to test it out I can certainly see. I just can't see any scenario that Boyd would head to the wing though.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
Ironically Wayne intends to play GI at fb. (If the papers are correct)

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Ironically Wayne intends to play GI at fb. (If the papers are correct)
WB throwing all his eggs into a 32 yr old basket with hamstring issues.

Looks like he intends to exploit the left side sweep and probably doesn't trust Johnston to be able to execute the passing required.

Alec

International Rep
Yeah, you either go with Johnston who passes as well as Josh Hoffman, or Inglis, who is like a 250,000KM car and you just aren't sure if it'll be able to last the whole trip.

Or sign someone else, that should be the main priority.

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
My issue with Boyd is that he isn't a threat with the ball. He hardly ever breaks a tackle, and doesn't have speed, so for the defence they basically know they can hold off him until he runs out of room. How many times this year did we see Boyd run across the field like a crab only to submit to a tackle?

I hope that was just because he wasn't fit and that he's better in 2019 but last year's year's performance, especially defensively and in terms of effort, in not getting my hopes up.
Not a threat with the ball. With all due respect, comments like these are just ridiculous.

He didn't have the best 2018 but there are very very few fullbacks in the game that can do what he can do with the ball. He's one of the best in the comp at setting up his outside men and he didn't just suddenly lose that ability. He suffered mentally from the hamstring injuries and as a result lost confidence but he still showed several times in 2018 that he's still got it.

At the back end of the year Boyd started getting better and with a good pre-season under his belt without the hamstring problems, we'll see Boyd get back to his best and Boyd at his best is one of the best fullbacks in the comp.

As for his speed, he's not the fastest bloke in the game but he is quicker than what people give him credit for.

He isn't there to be a speedster and break tackles. He is there for his organizing ability and his playmaking skills.

If he wasn't a threat with the ball than the opposition defence wouldn't be so focused on trying to shut him down.

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Niko
8. Lodge
9. MCC
10. Ofa
11. Sua
12. Gillett
13. TPJ

14. Turpin/Staggs
15. Fifita
16. Haas
17. Tagatese/Carrigan

theshed

NRL Player
Corey Allan and Bennett don't get along well because of his cocky attitude. Allan is pretty pissed at the Bennett signing actually
How do you know this? I know he wasn’t retained under Bennett but how do you know he is pissed at the Bennett signing?

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
My issue with Boyd is that he isn't a threat with the ball. He hardly ever breaks a tackle, and doesn't have speed, so for the defence they basically know they can hold off him until he runs out of room. How many times this year did we see Boyd run across the field like a crab only to submit to a tackle?

I hope that was just because he wasn't fit and that he's better in 2019 but last year's year's performance, especially defensively and in terms of effort, in not getting my hopes up.
I saw him do it and it led to a try actually

Gaz

NRL Player
Retention spree! Brisbane Broncos lock in Tevita Pangai Jnr for 2019 NRL season

Tevita Pangai Jnr committed to the NSW Blues for 2019, and now he’s done the same with Brisbane, reportedly inking a one-year deal to remain at Red Hill.
  • December 6, 2018 9:24pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Tevita Pangai jnr has re-signed with the Broncos.Source: AAP
According to The Courier-Mail, the Broncos will announce the re-signing as early as Friday.
Pangai Jnr’s retention completes a retention spree this week for the Broncos, which has seen Matt Lodge and Corey Oates re-sign on two and one-year deals respectively.
UP NOW!

Tevita Pangai of the Broncos.Source: Getty Images
The 22-year-old enjoyed an impressive 2018 season with the Broncos where he became one of the team’s most damaging forwards.
The short-term contract won’t do much to quell speculation over his future, and rival clubs will no doubt come knocking.
One team who could in 2020 are South Sydney, with Pangai Jnr and new Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett having a close relationship.

Lodge re-signs with Broncos
0:56
The Newcastle junior had been in the sights of the Knights, and even toured the club’s facilities during a visit back home, but was always adamant he’d stay with the Broncos.
“I looked at the Newcastle set-up but it was a curiosity thing,” he told The Courier-Mail.
“I am from Newcastle and my best mates are there, so naturally I was keen to look at their set-up.
“They are going to be a strong club in the next few years so they were attractive, but I feel like I can play my best football at the Broncos.”
The 113kg Tongan international made his NRL debut with the Broncos in 2016 and has gone on to play 54 games for the club.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/broncos/retention-spree-brisbane-broncos-lock-in-tevita-pangai-jnr-for-2019-nrl-season/news-story/c907e6972c1a95b069a59cabccf2c937

scobie

NYC Player
I just dont think Issako has the game to be a top level fullback. He is on the verge of becoming an elite winger, he should stick to that.
I think it's a bit premature to say he won't make it as a fullback. Everyone was saying the same thing about Val Holmes last year. He was awesome on the wing during the world cup. If memory serves me right, he started the season fullback for the Sharks, and it didn't really work. He was shifted back to the wing for Dugan i think, and everyone said he should stick to the wing.
But then he was moved back to fullback sometime later in the season, and it just clicked for him and the Sharks.
So could the same thing happen with Isaako? From what I've seen of him, I think he has enough to his game for the makings of a good fullback. Obviously there's a fair bit to be learned too, but I see no reason that that couldn't happen, given his progression this year alone.
I would like to see him on the wing again for next year at least, with a view to giving him a shot at it when Boyd is done. I honestly think the only way to find out for sure is throw him in and see what happens.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I think it's a bit premature to say he won't make it as a fullback. Everyone was saying the same thing about Val Holmes last year. He was awesome on the wing during the world cup. If memory serves me right, he started the season fullback for the Sharks, and it didn't really work. He was shifted back to the wing for Dugan i think, and everyone said he should stick to the wing.
But then he was moved back to fullback sometime later in the season, and it just clicked for him and the Sharks.
So could the same thing happen with Isaako? From what I've seen of him, I think he has enough to his game for the makings of a good fullback. Obviously there's a fair bit to be learned too, but I see no reason that that couldn't happen, given his progression this year alone.
I would like to see him on the wing again for next year at least, with a view to giving him a shot at it when Boyd is done. I honestly think the only way to find out for sure is throw him in and see what happens.
He is capable of playing fullback, that's not what I'm saying though. My point is the Brisbane Broncos are a team that aims for premierships. I don't think Issako will ever have the game for a side in that position. I'd love him to prove me wrong, I just don't see it in him.

Kyall

NRL Player
He is capable of playing fullback, that's not what I'm saying though. My point is the Brisbane Broncos are a team that aims for premierships. I don't think Issako will ever have the game for a side in that position. I'd love him to prove me wrong, I just don't see it in him.
Did you not see the try of the year where he won ya that game for us. Imagine having him lurking around with his speed and agility.

Gaz

NRL Player
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/12/07/pangai-jnr-stays-a-bronco/

Pangai Jnr Stays A Bronco

Author
broncos.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 7 Dec 2018, 10:12 AM
Share on social media

Exciting forward Tevita Pangai Junior has re-signed with the NRMA Insurance Brisbane Broncos, crediting new coach Anthony Seibold as a major factor in his decision.
The 22-year-old crowd-favourite has committed to a one-year contract, with an aim to securing a long-term deal off the back of a powerhouse 2019 in Broncos colours.
"I'm a Brisbane Bronco, obviously I want to stay – I'm going to be working hard to get another contract," Pangai told broncos.com.au
"I just feel this was the best place that I can play my best football – I'm happy here so I didn't want to change too much.
"The exciting group that we have here ... there's a good camaraderie around the boys, we get along really well, and I love living in Brissy – the fans have welcomed me and I really enjoy it.
"I was also really excited when I heard that Anthony Seibold was coming to the club with his staff – I feel like he can really help me, he's really big on the effort and the defensive areas ... it's going to be a good step forward.
"I've worked with (Seibold) before in the Junior Kangaroos and he's really good at explaining weaknesses in the other team and making sure that we are doing all the little things, the one percenters – that's his main focus and he's holding us accountable to that."
Pangai made big strides in 2018 with the Broncos, finishing fifth in the Paul Morgan Medal for Broncos' Player of the Year, just five points behind winner Anthony Milford.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.