2019 Broncos Line-up

I see you are including the typical Bennett final-year-of-contract dud signings.
Those are totally out of left field but as you said, there will be a couple of new guys around the place.

1.Boyd
2.Issako
3.Roberts
4.Staggs
5.Oates
6.Bird
7.Milford
8.Lodge
9.Macca
10.TPJ
11.Sua
12.Gillett
13.Mcguire
14.Niko
15.Glenn
16.Haas
17.Offa
18th man Fifita
This is a mixture between the side I believe will be next year and the side that I want to see.

I dont see Bird as the answer to our halves problem at all. He'd be a running half not an organising one like the one we need. So its no different to the Nik Milf combo .

Also how are people even thinking its a possibility that Paix or Boyd will start? lmao blokes have never played 1 single nrl game and theyre not even 18 yet ( paix might be)

I dont see Bird as the answer to our halves problem at all. He'd be a running half not an organising one like the one we need. So its no different to the Nik Milf combo .

Also how are people even thinking its a possibility that Paix or Boyd will start? lmao blokes have never played 1 single nrl game and theyre not even 18 yet ( paix might be)
Yeah, an 18 year old play NRL. Ridiculous, ha ha.

1.Boyd
2.Issako
3.Roberts
4.Staggs
5.Oates
6.Bird
7.Milford
8.Lodge
9.Macca
10.TPJ
11.Sua
12.Gillett
13.Mcguire
14.Niko
15.Glenn
16.Haas
17.Offa
18th man Fifita
This is a mixture between the side I believe will be next year and the side that I want to see.

Don't mind this line up.
Hopefully which ever forward is aiming up the least drops to 18th man, no favouritism from Wayne, give the younguns a rest there too.
Wouldn't mind seeing Turpin in at 9 at some point to quicken the ruck speed.
Bird at six to tighten up the right side D and add dimension to attack.
Yep to staggs at 4. Looks stronger than kahu.

Is there a halves problem?
Or is it more a Defence and 9/ forwards problem?

All these team lists.

37153944.gif

01 Darius Boyd
02 Corey Oates
03 James Roberts
04 Jack Bird
05 Jamayne Isaako
06 Anthony Milford
07 Kodi Nikorima
08 Josh McGuire
09 Andrew McCullough
10 Matt Lodge
11 Jayden Su'A
12 Matt Gillett
13 Tevita Pangai Junior

14 Joe Ofahengaue
15 Payne Haas
16 David Fifita
17 Patrick Mago

Don't mind this line up.
Hopefully which ever forward is aiming up the least drops to 18th man, no favouritism from Wayne, give the younguns a rest there too.
Wouldn't mind seeing Turpin in at 9 at some point to quicken the ruck speed.
Bird at six to tighten up the right side D and add dimension to attack.
Yep to staggs at 4. Looks stronger than kahu.

Finally someone agrees with me over something.

2019 may be too early for deardon but after watching him again today i have no doubt he is the best of them all.
I hate putting big wraps on kids but in my opinion he is a franchise player.

How I think the current thought process for 2019 is tracking:

1. Boyd
2. Oates (Pearson if Oates leaves)
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Isaako (would like to see Isaako/Boyd share FB as defence/attack respectively)
6. Milf
7. Kodi
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. TPJ (was starting at prop to begin 2018)
11. Sua
12. Gillette
13. Moose

14. Glenn (was playing this role well this year and last year)
15. Offa
16. Haas
17. Fifita

Above is not necessarily the team I'd prefer but more so what I think would be named at the moment.

To me the issues with the above are
- Bird in centres forces Staggs out of the team. Seems a waste to have Bird's quality in the centers but to me he doesn't really fit anywhere else without cutting someone else

- Kodi @ 7 but only so much as his defence. I think Milf and Kodi complemented each other well at the back end of the year, but Kodi is a liability when isolated on the edges. Although I think that is more to do with the team's defensive lapses. Against the panthers Kodi showed great defence coming up against Kikau. This shows he can defend but only when the team show some actual line speed and get up in the opposition's face. With no line speed the opposition can isolate him too easily

- bench and prop rotation is ridiculously young. There was a lack of forward leadership this year (I feel McGuire dropped this ball the most) leaving the young guys with no one to follow other than their other young counterparts. McGuire needs a serious rocket here and should be leading defensive line speed and just generally upping his work rate!!! Was pretty disappointed in him this year.

- some will say Boyd at fullback, but I think he's been pretty harshly criticised. It was largely warranted at the start of the year, but I feel at the back end of the year he was much more effective (although I still HATE how much time he spends in the defensive line). I would love to see Isaako defend at fullback and switch with Boyd in attack. Boyd would probably have to defend on the wing, which could work wonders (although he'd probably see it as a demotion) as he would be very vocal with Jimmy and Milf, helping their defence. He could even switch with Jimmy and defend in centres, with Jimmy on the wing (although that would hinder his defensive development) would have him back on kick returns though ;-)

Last edited:
I'm watching some highlights from our 2015 season and Jesus Christ, our attitude and hunger to win was amazing. We were ruthless, aggressive and the confidence and attitude from every player was incredible.

Wtf is going on with us? I just don't get why the **** our attitude sucks. Why are we so weak?

I think I'd probably have to agree here.

To me the only area Kodi failed heading into the back end of the year was his defence when isolated on the edge. It's a serious deficiency but I think the lack of team line speed allowed him to be isolated too often. Against Kikau I don't recall him being beaten too often.

He was providing some kicking, but milf was handling the bulk of that and quite well so not generally needed. He was also a serious weapon in attack with a number of long busts.

If you put Bird in there I don't think he offers any kicking relief. I also don't think he's as evasive as Kodi... yes he's stronger but likely his show and go is not as effective. Also not sure he has any passing game to speak of whereas Kodi at least has that short passing game.

All in all I think Kodi is starting to complement Milf reasonably well by providing good attacking relief and I don't think Milf is quite ready to handle that much pressure should Bird not be able to match what Kodi is providing in attack.

Have to remember last preseason there was a world cup on, Milf was recovering from shoulder surgery, Kodi didn't return until late Jan/early Feb, Boyd was out of action, Macca was recovering from ACL and Bird was completely missing

Not to mention Walters bailed 4 weeks into the season after being in charge of the attack.

Hopefully we don't have the same issues this time round and the boys get a clean bill of health to hit the ground running in November

I still think we need TPJ or Lodge from the bench for impact. Moose and Lodge to start at prop, TPJ and Offa for bench impact and to keep the momentum going.

And this talk of Paix or Tanah Boyd at halfback is ludicrous. I'd bet most of the people wanting them in haven't even seen them play apart from youtube clips.

I also dont think Turpin is anywhere near being a starting hooker.

Last edited:
I still think we need TPJ or Lodge from the bench for impact. Moose and Lodge to start at prop, TPJ and Offa for bench impact and to keep the momentum going.

And this talk of Paix or Tanah Boyd at halfback is ludicrous. I'd bet most of the people wanting them in haven't even seen them play apart from youtube clips.

I also dont think Turpin is anywhere near being a starting hooker.

Fifita and Haas can provide plenty of impact off the bench, so can Ofahnegaue.

Fifita and Haas can provide plenty of impact off the bench, so can Ofahnegaue.

Fifita in our prop rotation? He isnt a prop. And Haas has had one decent cameo from the bench. I'm not saying he wont prove his worth next year, but people get so wrapped up in the hype with some of these young players they dont actually see what they have actually done on the pitch. Its going to be a good battle though in the trials this year if they are all fit. We have 4 very good options in the back row who are a genuine chance of playing, and probably 6-7 props as well fighting out for places.

Quite honestly, out of our young props i'd have Carrigan on the bench in front of any of them. He was outstanding in a team that wasnt particularly good at all and he just plays tough and takes the type of runs you would expect from a more senior forward.

Last edited:
I'm watching some highlights from our 2015 season and Jesus Christ, our attitude and hunger to win was amazing. We were ruthless, aggressive and the confidence and attitude from every player was incredible.

Wtf is going on with us? I just don't get why the **** our attitude sucks. Why are we so weak?

Because they're highlights. If we look at highlights of any of our attacking plays from this year we'll look hungry too.

Because they're highlights. If we look at highlights of any of our attacking plays from this year we'll look hungry too.
Are you for real?
Are you implying the attitude and hunger of the team this season was as great as it was in 2015?

Active Now

• Volvo Driver
  • Scorchie
  • BruiserMk1
  • Fatboy
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Midean
  • Organix
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • RodF
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • westy316
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Galah
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
... and 55 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.