2019 Broncos Line-up

Also, being pedantic, we dont currently have TPJ or Lodge out of that list he posted. They arent signed up yet.

I'd prefer to keep TPJ and Lodge, but I don't care if we do lose them. They aren't even our juniors. Lodge somehow jumped the que in the Broncos pecking order over guys like Ofahengaue.

Our forward pack would still be fine without replacing these guys.

8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Tagataese
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Payne Haas
17. Thomas Flegler

That's probably the worst case scenario.

And we would have the funds to make some signings in the forwards.

I'd be fine with one or two years of pain in order to achieve a decade of success.

The last time we attempted to blood this many young guys was back when McGuire, Glenn, McCullough, Gillett, Kahu were coming through.

We went through the pain of having a young squad, hoping that we'd see a premiership one day.. it never happened..

Time to try again.

I'd prefer to keep TPJ and Lodge, but I don't care if we do lose them. They aren't even our juniors. Lodge somehow jumped the que in the Broncos pecking order over guys like Ofahengaue.

Our forward pack would still be fine without replacing these guys.

8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Tagataese
11. Jaydn Su'a
12. Matt Gillett
13. Payne Haas
17. Thomas Flegler

That's probably the worst case scenario.

And we would have the funds to make some signings in the forwards.

I'd be fine with one or two years of pain in order to achieve a decade of success.

The last time we attempted to blood this many young guys was back when McGuire, Glenn, McCullough, Gillett, Kahu were coming through.

We went through the pain of having a young squad, hoping that we'd see a premiership one day.. it never happened..

Time to try again.

Flegler is good, but he needs a ton of work on his fitness. On the times ive seen him, he is blowing out his arse after about 10 mins. Tagatese was bang average for us and thats being generous. Haas isnt a lock. Where is Glenn? That pack and bench just wouldnt be good enough. despite having 4 bench players with big potential.

If we lose Moose, TPJ and Lodge thats a massive blow to us. I'd much rather have a front row rotation of Lodge/Moose and TPJ/ Offa over Tagatese/Offa and Carrigan/Flegler.

Brisbane reshuffle forward pack with Alex Glen set to join Gold Coast Titans

NOVEMBER 15, 2018.

The Broncos are clearing the decks with Kangaroos star Josh McGuire heading to the Cowboys and Alex Glenn also set to leave Red Hill.

McGuire has played his last game for the Broncos after securing a shock release to take up a $3 million deal with North Queensland.

And The Courier-Mail can reveal the reliable Glenn may join him at the exits as the Gold Coast Titans weigh up making a play for the New Zealand Test representative.

Glenn, 30, is contracted to the Broncos until the end of the 2019 season, however he faces the prospect of taking a significant pay cut to remain at Red Hill beyond his current deal. Brisbane will not stand in Glenns way if he requests a release to join the Titans immediately, as long as the financial terms are palatable to the Broncos.

Glenn, who lives on the Gold Coast, has been a loyal servant to the Broncos since making his NRL debut in 2009. In his 238-game career, he has never played less than 20 games in a season, proving his durability and reliability in the NRL pressure-cooker. But Glenn is under pressure to retain a starting berth at the Broncos following the emergence of Queensland Origin prospect Jaydn SuA and return of Test forward Matt Gillett from injury.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/brisbane-reshuffle-forward-pack-with-alex-glen-set-to-join-gold-coast-titans/news-story/0f2ca76e4d264e79dd4199c26db79a11&memtype=anonymous

Last edited:
8db700de5b15feb06e2f0a28b17e66b8

The Broncos are clearing the decks with Kangaroos star Josh McGuire heading to the Cowboys and Alex Glenn also set to leave Red Hill.
McGuire has played his last game for the Broncos after securing a shock release to take up a $3 million deal with North Queensland.
And The Courier-Mail can reveal the reliable Glenn may join him at the exits as the Gold Coast Titans weigh up making a play for the New Zealand Test representative.
a79475f201f2dfe17771bd6357bf7d97

Glenn looks set to head home to the Gold Coast. (Alix Sweeney)
McGuire’s departure will allow the Broncos to finalise deals to keep off-contract stars Corey Oates, Tevita Pangai Jr and Matt Lodge ahead of their return to training in the coming weeks.
McGuire, 28, played 194 games for the Broncos and was the club’s only current Kangaroos representative.
His departure will cost the Broncos crucial experience, however it will help the club retain one of the most exciting young squads in the NRL.
Broncos captain Darius Boyd will return to training on Thursday (next week) along with Oates and Lodge while Tonga representative Pangai Jr is due back later this month.
2dfcd19aac362c33a9afeaef87c63487

The Broncos will miss the veteran’s consistency. (AAP Image/Albert Perez)
“I’m expecting to see them next week, I don’t have any concerns (that they won’t be re-signed),” Boyd said.
“These things (contract delays) always happen. They don’t always run to time.
“I’ve seen most of them in the off-season except for Tevita. I’ve been doing some training with Lodgey and that’s pretty reassuring he’s going to be there.
“I’ve spoken to Oatesy plenty of times as well. They know where they stand.”
cb25d0951f682406c3653863bc833dc6

It will be a new look Broncos pack without Josh McGuire. (Chris Hyde/Getty Images)
Cowboys coach Paul Green has been speaking personally with the Broncos to orchestrate McGuire’s move as doubts hover over the future of North Queensland captain Matt Scott.
Scott, 33, underwent a second round of neck surgery in the off-season and has been restricted to non-contact training.
The 251-game former Maroons and Kangaroos warhorse has had a wretched run with injuries in the past two years and McGuire’s arrival in Townsville on a four or five-year deal will alleviate pressure on North Queensland’s middle forward rotation.
Glenn, 30, is contracted to the Broncos until the end of the 2019 season, however he
ADVERTISEMENT
CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL
faces the prospect of taking a significant pay cut to remain at Red Hill beyond his current deal.
Brisbane will not stand in Glenn’s way if he requests a release to join the Titans immediately, as long as the financial terms are palatable to the Broncos.
Glenn, who lives on the Gold Coast, has been a loyal servant to the Broncos since making his NRL debut in 2009.
In his 238-game career, he has never played less than 20 games in a season, proving his durability and reliability in the NRL pressure-cooker.
But Glenn is under pressure to retain a starting berth at the Broncos following the emergence of Queensland Origin prospect Jaydn Su’A and return of Test forward Matt Gillett from injury.
9a90d7ed881e6ca18e682b3666e9bfd1

Thankfully, the club have pltny of young talent coming through. (Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
The Broncos will boast one of the best young forward packs in the NRL in years to come with the likes of David Fifita and Payne Haas also developing.
“It’s a really exciting group,” Boyd said.
“Some of the guys that debuted this year did such a great job at a young age. They will be more experienced and better for the run.
“Guys like Tevita and Joe (Ofahengaue) played well and are really starting to come into their own.
“They are becoming leaders in the group and that makes a massive difference.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/0f2ca76e4d264e79dd4199c26db79a11

Last edited:
Hmmm...Glenn is a loss. The Broncs have an amazing amount of talented youngsters coming through but Glenn is a consistent older head that sets very high standards. This is more of a gamble than McGuire in my opinion but I can certainly see the very good reasons behind letting Glenn go.

I wonder if, aside from the re-signings, someone else is coming in.

Are we overrating experience a bit here? Just have Alfie or Lockyer run with the boys as a trainer. There's no way Glenn would make the starting side next year, and he'd be in a battle to make the bench.

Are we overrating experience a bit here? Just have Alfie or Lockyer run with the boys as a trainer. There's no way Glenn would make the starting side next year, and he'd be in a battle to make the bench.

Sure but if anyone goes down injured (which always happens in a contact sport), there isn't as much quality there to replace those guys anymore.

surely if we release Glenn there must be a signing coming, other then the guys we are hoping to retain.

I dont think we are really. You need a bit of know how around the club and you need them to help with the culture. I also think Glenn will be a shoe in somewhere in the 17. He isnt rarely ever a poor performer and consistently good.

Financially for Glenn and Moose, these moves if they happen are great for them. For us as a club, i'm not so sure. You just cant afford to have so much inexperience and expect to have a consistent side week in week out. If the club are happy to develop these young players over a couple of years i'm all for it, but then the expectancy needs to be taken off them and we have to accept their development may just see us not playing finals football. Can that happen at club with the pressures and expectancies we have at the Broncos? I'm not so sure it can. Its something the club will need to address though and let everyone know its the new direction we are going in.

surely if we release Glenn there must be a signing coming, other then the guys we are hoping to retain.

You would think so and I wonder if it is Smith. If it isn't, at least we can get the gossip columnists at the NRL to pick it up.

Hmmm...Glenn is a loss. The Broncs have an amazing amount of talented youngsters coming through but Glenn is a consistent older head that sets very high standards. This is more of a gamble than McGuire in my opinion but I can certainly see the very good reasons behind letting Glenn go.

I wonder if, aside from the re-signings, someone else is coming in.

I wouldnt think, if we are keeping TPJ and Lodge, we are going to need another forward ( maybe we will be surprised and pick up Klemmer ), but i could see us clearing the decks for that elusive halfback. Or Cameron Smith!

NOVEMBER 15, 2018.

Glenn, 30, is contracted to the Broncos until the end of the 2019 season, however he faces the prospect of taking a significant pay cut to remain at Red Hill beyond his current deal. Brisbane will not stand in Glenns way if he requests a release to join the Titans immediately, as long as the financial terms are palatable to the Broncos.

Glenn, who lives on the Gold Coast, has been a loyal servant to the Broncos since making his NRL debut in 2009. In his 238-game career, he has never played less than 20 games in a season, proving his durability and reliability in the NRL pressure-cooker. But Glenn is under pressure to retain a starting berth at the Broncos following the emergence of Queensland Origin prospect Jaydn SuA and return of Test forward Matt Gillett from injury.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/brisbane-reshuffle-forward-pack-with-alex-glen-set-to-join-gold-coast-titans/news-story/0f2ca76e4d264e79dd4199c26db79a11&memtype=anonymous
I'd be sad if he left. I highly doubt the titans would offer him much more than 400k and I think he is well deserving of the 400k. He's an experienced player, always puts in and basically never has a bad game. Also very popular among the playing group. He will be 31 when his current deal runs out. So probably have another couple years in him at most after that. I'd love for him to be a one club player having come through our 20s system, and potentially reaching the 300 game mark. Or at the very least, 250

I dont think we are really. You need a bit of know how around the club and you need them to help with the culture. I also think Glenn will be a shoe in somewhere in the 17. He isnt rarely ever a poor performer and consistently good.

Financially for Glenn and Moose, these moves if they happen are great for them. For us as a club, i'm not so sure. You just cant afford to have so much inexperience and expect to have a consistent side week in week out. If the club are happy to develop these young players over a couple of years i'm all for it, but then the expectancy needs to be taken off them and we have to accept their development may just see us not playing finals football. Can that happen at club with the pressures and expectancies we have at the Broncos? I'm not so sure it can. Its something the club will need to address though and let everyone know its the new direction we are going in.

It seems to work at the Roosters, they just buy all the kids and then buy stars as well.

NOVEMBER 15, 2018.

I definitely wouldn't be releasing him early. For all we know Gillett won't even play... With McGuire, Sims, Thaiday all leaving, and Gillett coming back from a very serious Injury, letting another experienced forward leave would be ridiculous.

You would think so and I wonder if it is Smith. If it isn't, at least we can get the gossip columnists at the NRL to pick it up.

Smith to halfback? we wouldn't axe McCullough for a year or two of Smith at hooker.

We gunna release Macca and sign Smith ? Even just for 1 or 2 years

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Astro
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • NSW stables
  • Strop
  • Rambstien
  • Alec
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.