2019 Origin Discussion

Based on everything I've seen since watching NRL..

It's my opinion. We're all allowed to have them.

I never said you couldn’t have an opinion, although most people usually back up the opinions with reasoning at least.

Gotta remember that Oates was dropped because Kev sees him as a backrower. He saw Holmes as our long term winger. Had nothing to do with being a Bronco.

Milford isn't picked in the halves because he has a tendency to stick his tail between his legs. It's nice to have Munster there in the 6.

I don't know how McCullough is the QLD hooker ahead of Jake Friend.

These players need to earn their spots, no longer can they just play for the Broncos and expect an origin jersey down the track.. Although playing for the Broncos does still work to legitimise a players career.
You're right.... Broncos players shouldn't be picked based solely on wearing a broncos Jersey....

You did you watch a cowboys or titans game last year?

Why are players from those teams getting leniency broncos players are not? There is obvious double standards here and it is driven by a media agenda.

You did you watch a cowboys or titans game last year?

Why are players from those teams getting leniency broncos players are not? There is obvious double standards here and it is driven by a media agenda.

The Broncos players were shown the same leniency, it's called incumbency, which is why those players were even in the team to begin with for Game I 2017. When they suffered that record home loss, the entire side was put on notice and drastic changes had to be made.

There isn't a double standard, just two different set of circumstances that you continually fail to acknowledge.

Last edited:
You're forgetting a big one.

Being on the end of a record home defeat. A loss like that is going to call for drastic changes and given the way that series went, I can't believe anyone would argue that the selectors got it wrong.

You're comparing two different sets of circumstances and arriving to the conclusion that Kev picks whatever side they come up with on NRL 360.

It's a long bow with hardly any basis.
Yes I agree, it was a shocking result and changes were needed for the next game... Looking to the future (gavin Cooper and ofa not getting selected are fine examples of this), picking pure wingers (dane gagai plays wing right?), picking players in form (eg Cooper, Chambers, glasby, Wallace) or picking winning teams players (eg cowboys or titans 2018 players) are great criteria to drop broncos players and form a strong argument.... These were all Actual reasons that were given for dropping broncos players haha 1 set of rules for some and not others? Surely even you can see the hipocrisy when you look at the team that lost us the origin series last year and those reasons he gave for his selections. That's right HIS SELECTIONS, it was his team and he stated that on multiple occasions that he got the team he wanted after game 1 the year before.

The Broncos players were shown the same leniency, it's called incumbency, which is why those players were even in the team to begin with for Game I 2017. When they suffered that record home loss, the entire side was put on notice and drastic changes had to be made.

There isn't a double standard, just two different set of circumstances that you continually fail to acknowledge.

Oates was good on the wing for us and at first I thought he was hard done by. I shortly came around to the idea of Holmes as our winger. He was the Australian winger and a premiership winning winger.

Kev was hoping to put pressure on Wayne to play Oates in the backrow at club level, and then he wanted to pick Oates in the backrow or probably on the bench for QLD.

He looks fit this year, more like a big winger than a skinny backrower.

We'll have a great combo with Bird and Oates on the left edge

Oates can be a gun at his best, but Gagai was pretty much the best player on the field every time he played on the wing, and Holmes was just a try scoring monster - he was easily on track to break try scoring records in Origin and for Australia before leaving. Now that he's gone, there's a perfect opportunity to bring back Oates, and hopefully Gagai stays on the right wing.

Looking to the future (gavin Cooper and ofa not getting selected are fine examples of this)

He said that after Game II 2018.

"We'll have a mindset looking to next year certainly," Walters said on Big Sports Breakfast.
"We'll have an eye on what's going to happen for next year's series.
"If we can get a head start on next year, then that's going to help us.
"Preparation for 2019 starts now, starts today.
"Billy Slater's send-off for game three in Suncorp will be a big part of what we do, but certainly, we've got to have a look at next year and how we can get the series back, and get the trophy back where it belongs which is up in Queensland.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...ponga-kevin-walters/c8z683h8tq9h1xtmedxgt31nu

Furthermore he clarified that statement during the Game III team announcement.

“We’re very loyal as Queenslanders, and the selectors have been very loyal. But we want to be loyal to a winning team,” Walters said.
“That’s what we need to be loyal to more than anything else.
“We picked (Cherry-Evans) for a reason. We want to win Game Three. That’s the sole reason why we have selected the 17 that we have.
“Our first priority is to win Game Three and start building with another eye on the future as well. If DCE can have a good performance, there’s no reason he can’t be back here next year.
“For Corey, he has been knocking on the door since his last appearance. No doubt Corey will want to give himself a nice game and a really strong game to cement his spot.”

https://outline.com/GrFF79

And if you listen to the presser, Walters explains that he went with Cherry-Evans over Taylor because of Ash's defence and tendency to float in and out of games.

picking pure wingers (dane gagai plays wing right?)

“We just think Valentine’s a genuine speedster, a genuine flyer and an exciting young player that deserves an opportunity at the next level,” Walters said.
“Corey has been a winger that’s been manufactured over time ... he’s had four really good games for Queensland but we felt the time was right for Valentine Holmes.
“He’s the current Australian winger. Leaving him on the sidelines was probably not the right option for us for Game Two.
“He’s doing everything. I don’t think he can do any more than what he has.
“He deserves an opportunity to show what he can do at this level.”

https://outline.com/eJ3TdV

picking players in form (eg Cooper, Chambers, glasby, Wallace) or picking winning teams players (eg cowboys or titans 2018 players)

I don't think he said that, or meant it in the context you think it does.

For what it's worth I pulled up a few teams the media was calling for:

Wally wanted Mat Scott selected, didn't get his wish.

https://www.themorningbulletin.com....lieves-kalyn-ponga-must-be-picked-fo/3438599/

This media pundit (unsure who it is) wanted Mat Scott and Joe Ofahengaue. He also didn't want Jarrod Wallace or Gavin Cooper in the team, he didn't get his wish.

https://outline.com/pGs9zq

Tallis and JT wanted Kev to stick with Ben Hunt for Game 3

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/o...i/news-story/dba897adc1fd430ec7653b36fbc12dd5

Hodges and Mal wanted Ofahengaue and Mat Scott in the team for Game I, didn't get their wish.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...e/news-story/f2899c58eefbb602f5b0c1d6a4dc4310

Hodges also called for Ash Taylor and Joe Ofahengaue for Game III, didn't get his wish

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...r/news-story/19b93f1e79ef16a0ce21c97236136a4f

Sure the media isn't a person and there's a variety of opinions, but those were the opinions offered to the ether and none of them were realised. Considering how few options Queensland has, you'd have to imagine at least one of these media teams would be correct.

Finally, this is what Kevie had to say about the decisions he made in 2017

"It's no secret we got beat up through the middle. Our forwards didn't aim up. So we made some changes there. We feel if our players can stand up in that area, we've got the class around them to get the game for Queensland. That wasn't the case in game one," Walters said.
"It was all part of our plan. If we didn't win game one, we were going to make changes. We afforded those players the opportunity to go out and represent Queensland in game one and we didn't get the right result."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/st...oons-revamp-for-game-two-20170612-gwp3va.html

Not to mention, there had been speculation over Sam's future in the Maroons after Bennett demoted him to the bench for 2016.

https://www.outline.com/yUyG77

So now we know what Kev actually said, and his reasons for dumping players. We can also see that the media has yet to pick one 17 that's actually correct. We also saw the loyalty Walters offered to a Broncos player. These are the facts and you may not agree with his selections, but that doesn't mean he bows down to the media and lets them pick the team. Far from it, in fact it sounds like you'd be happier if he did.

Last edited:
More highlights in one year from Friend than Macca has made in however many hundreds of games he's played.

The clip was an irrelevant post with no point to make though.

Friend scored more tries in that clip that McCullough has scored in his entire life......

IMG 8922
IMG 8923
McCullough 31 NRL Tries
J. Friend 24 NRL Tries

Friend has played more games too.

Kind of proves that Friend is much more creative than Macca. Also shows that Friend knows how to step up when the halves are struggling. He was good when Maloney left and Pearce was having troubles.

Last edited:
I must have missed the part where Fourex said he set up more tries.

And by set up, I mean pass the ball onto the talented players around him. Which is actually pretty difficult most of the time for Jake.

It's my opinion. We're all allowed to have them.

absolutely you are ... and we are all allow to disagree with you opinion ...

one of the big reasons you are getting called out is posting a video from 5 years ago (published by Friends club BTW) as evidence of why Friend was better than Macca 6 months ago.

Friend may have had a strong end to the season, but pre-origin his form was woeful ... in fact, it was so bad that the Roosters own fans actually booed him from the field at one point during a game ... and if i hadn't seen him play at all (which i had FTR), that would have been enough to tell me how the player was going.

I must have missed the part where Fourex said he set up more tries.

And by set up, I mean pass the ball onto the talented players around him. Which is actually pretty difficult most of the time for Jake.

Achievements

• NRL Grand Final winner (2013)
  • NRL Grand Final winning Co-Captain *Boyd Cordner* (2018)
  • NRL Minor Premiership (2013)
  • NRL Minor Premiership (2014)
  • NRL Minor Premiership (2015)
  • NRL Minor Premiership (2018)
  • World Club Challenge winner (2014)
  • World Club Challenge man of the match (2014)
  • Ashton Collier medallist (2014)
He must have passed alright these years

absolutely you are ... and we are all allow to disagree with you opinion ...

one of the big reasons you are getting called out is posting a video from 5 years ago (published by Friends club BTW) as evidence of why Friend was better than Macca 6 months ago.

Friend may have had a strong end to the season, but pre-origin his form was woeful ... in fact, it was so bad that the Roosters own fans actually booed him from the field at one point during a game ... and if i hadn't seen him play at all (which i had FTR), that would have been enough to tell me how the player was going.

I agree that he was bad and had a slump of form. Coincided with Radley getting game time and playing well.
The main reason Friend was playing bad was because he was simply trying too hard. I believe he was trying to take on a bigger role when it wasn't needed at the Roosters. He may have been trying to prove that he can replace Smith at Origin level.

He's still better than Macca in my eyes

Last edited:
Achievements

• NRL Grand Final winner (2013)
  • NRL Grand Final winning Co-Captain *Boyd Cordner* (2018)
  • NRL Minor Premiership (2013)
  • NRL Minor Premiership (2014)
  • NRL Minor Premiership (2015)
  • NRL Minor Premiership (2018)
  • World Club Challenge winner (2014)
  • World Club Challenge man of the match (2014)
  • Ashton Collier medallist (2014)
He must have passed alright these years

I agree that he was bad and had a slump of form. Coincided with Radley getting game time and playing well.
The main reason Friend was playing bad was because he was simply trying too hard. I believe he was trying to take on a bigger role when it wasn't needed at the Roosters. He may have been trying to prove that he can replace Smith at Origin level.

He's still better than Macca in my eyes
He had very little to do with any of those and has been surrounded by 16 rep players his whole career.

He had very little to do with any of those and has been surrounded by 16 rep players his whole career.

That's a joke, you can't say Friend had little to do with anything the Roosters have accomplished. If anything he's been the rock of the team and the one big constant in the side. He's had players coming in and out of that Roosters side but he's always been in the middle of it all.

What has Macca accomplished for the Broncos?

That's a joke, you can't say Friend had little to do with anything the Roosters have accomplished. If anything he's been the rock of the team and the one big constant in the side. He's had players coming in and out of that Roosters side but he's always been in the middle of it all.

What has Macca accomplished for the Broncos?
Queensland State of Origin hooker

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Thelmus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Manofoneway
  • Griffo
  • K-Style
  • achievedrap
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • bb_gun
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Locky field goal
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • winslow_wong
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
... and 38 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.