2019 Origin Discussion

This is a bit left field but I wonder If Segyaro could find himself in a Qld jersey if McGuire is out.
Hunt to start but gives us cover in the halves and Segyaro gives us a spark late in the game.
I think he'd be perfect for the bench impact role. Would love to see him get it.

The more I watch Cleary, the more I hope Fittler does pick him. He just hasn't developed well past the promising stages early on. I know he's still only 21, but he's been around for a while, and seems to have gone backwards a bit. I think this is the danger of signing players on massive deals, he's still got 5 to go on his contract after this year. If he stays like this, then Penrith really fucked up. RCG is on the same boat, also has 5 years left, and no one even wants him for NSW this year.

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Morgan
5. Gagia
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Papali
9. Hunt
10. Scott
11. Kaufusi
12. Gillet
13. McGuire

14. Segeyaro
15. Napa
16. Welch
17. Fifita

Assuming that DCE and McGuire make it back from injury in time:

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Morgan
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Arrow
9. Granville
10. Papalli
11. Kaufusi
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Hunt
15. Scott
16. Napa
17. Fifita

* If DCE wasn't fit then Morgan at Halfback, Gagai into the Centres and most likely Feldt onto the Wing.

* If McGuire wasn't fit then Arrow to Lock, Scott to starting Prop and Joe O onto the Bench.

* Personally I'd prefer Mahoney at Hooker for the opening half hour over Granville with Hunt finishing the rest of the game there, but I honestly don't see Kevvie picking him. Honestly I'd even prefer Turpin to Granville based on his two games so far.

Last edited:
1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Corey Oates
3. Will Chambers
4. Darius Boyd
5. Dane Gagai
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Matthew Scott
9. Ben Hunt
10. Josh McGuire
11. Josh Papalii
12. Matt Gillett
13. Jai Arrow

14. Michael Morgan/Anthony Milford
15. Felise Kaufusi
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. David Fifita

I still think Boyd could perform for QLD but at centre. My preference would have been GI at fullback to give Ponga another year but he retired.

Napa and Wallace out of the side after last year.

McGuire to prop because Arrow is the superior lock and has an offload.

Papalii in the second row because I think he could do far more damage there.

Fifita called up because Hess just doesn't deserve it.

Sterlo's Team -

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. J.Morris
5. Cotric
6. Keary
7. Reynolds
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Lodge
11. Cordner (c)
12. Frizell
13. Murray

14. J.Trbojevic
15. Vaughan
16. Crichton
17. Peachey

18. Haas

Not a bad side.

I'd go:

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Fergusen
5. Cotric
6. Keary
7. Brooks
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Lodge
11. Cordner (c)
12. Frizell
13. J.Turbo

14. Staggs
15. Vaughn
16. Haas
17. TPJ

TPJ has told Freddie he wants to play for Tonga.

I think Milf either has to start or not at all these days.

Unfortunately for him, his game doesn't suit impact anymore - he is developing into a general, and a fine one at that. But, the selectors will definitely go with Cameron Munster - who, and I don't know whether this is because of my bronco vision or not, I don't really rate.

I'm not 100% sold on Munster either, but the current Maroons administration see him as a 30 game Origin player. I don't think he's quite earned that reputation yet despite his efforts at Suncorp Stadium. I was largely unimpressed with his performances in big games last year and thought he was diabolical against Sydney in the Grand Final. However, he's been the form 6 for Queensland and he'll at least have this series to make his mark.

I still think Milford like Taylor has something to offer, but neither have put their hand up this season.

Final prediction -

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Morgan
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans (c)
8. Scott
9. Granville
10. Napa
11. Kaufusi
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Fifita
16. Papalii
17. McGuire

For the last few years, I definitely think Munster has been better than Milford. Milford seems to be in this really uncomfortable phase of not knowing what kind of player he wants or is going to be. He's also incredibly inconsistent, sometimes wildly fluctuating in the one game. He's got a lot of potential, and can look like an absolute champ sometimes, but he needs to do it consistently before he can be an Origin player. Munster probably doesn't have the same ceiling, despite still being a big talent, but he's generally much more consistent.
[automerge]1558530117[/automerge]
Final prediction -

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Chambers
4. Morgan
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans (c)
8. Scott
9. Granville
10. Napa
11. Kaufusi
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Fifita
16. Papalii
17. McGuire

If this was to be the 17, I hope they'd swap Napa with either Big Papa or McGuire in the starting side. Starting strong and matching them up front is going to be important.

Last edited:
Papalii will be one of the first players picked.

Unless McGuire's calf is playing up, he'll be there ahead of Arrow. I don't like it myself and much prefer Jai's defence, but it is what it is.

Scott > Ofahengaue hurts my soul, but I suspect it will happen.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.