FOOTBALL 2022 FIFA World Cup

Lol France just have no luck with penalties in WC finals.

Magnificent game. So happy for Messi. Gutted for mbappe tho, hattrick in a world cup final and losing? That's some monkey paw shit.

Magnificent game. So happy for Messi. Gutted for mbappe tho, hattrick in a world cup final and losing? That's some monkey paw shit.

He should have had 4.

Muani went for the shot instead of setting it up for an unmarked Mbappe. That would have been game over.

Llorris never got close in that shootout. The Argentinian keeper was brilliant and that was the difference. Always looked like making a save with every shot

Llorris never got close in that shootout. The Argentinian keeper was brilliant and that was the difference. Always looked like making a save with every shot
I for one also appreciate the Argentinian keepers celebration with the trophy

Just glad the GOAT debate has now been put to rest.

A world cup doesnt really make you the best of all time. Plenty of top, top players have never even come close to winning one but it doesnt mean they werent as talented as a player who has won it. Messi and Ronaldo are just the best players of their generation.

A world cup doesnt really make you the best of all time. Plenty of top, top players have never even come close to winning one but it doesnt mean they werent as talented as a player who has won it. Messi and Ronaldo are just the best players of their generation.
Haha of course it doesn't. Go have a read of page 48 for context.

It purely adds to his legacy which is undeniable at this point.

Haha of course it doesn't. Go have a read of page 48 for context.

It purely adds to his legacy which is undeniable at this point.

He's got a great legacy, no doubt about it. Same with Ronaldo, his legacy is fantastic as well, but who's denying their legacy?

He's got a great legacy, no doubt about it. Same with Ronaldo, his legacy is fantastic as well, but who's denying their legacy?
No one. The point was simply a tip of the hat to the guys (BroncosFever being one) a few days ago that were saying he couldn't be considered the GOAT if he hasn't won a World Cup. I was saying back then that he was already in the conversation with Pele/Maradona. Now he has won it there is no debate to be had.

Not sure what Ronaldo has to do with it. Absolutely respect what he has done but he's not on Messi's level in terms of achievements or technical ability.

I have really only ever seen him play in the Socceroos game a couple of weeks back. He was pulling on collars, pushing people over, taking dives etc etc etc. Got away with all of it scot-free too which I found pretty retarded, basically anyway he could think of cheating, he did. Is this kind of stuff taken into consideration when talking GOAT or is it completely acceptable because it’s soccer? He was the worst for it by far out of anyone playing in that game. Is this normal for him? I know in our game he would be hammered from pillar to post by all and sundry and denounced as one of the greats.

No one. The point was simply a tip of the hat to the guys (BroncosFever being one) a few days ago that were saying he couldn't be considered the GOAT if he hasn't won a World Cup. I was simply saying back then that he was already in the conversation with Pele/Maradona. Now he has won it there is no debate to be had.

Not sure what Ronaldo has to do with it. Absolutely respect what he has done but he's not on Messi's level in terms of achievements or technical ability.

As i said, winning the world cup makes no difference, that doesn't elevate him to the best player the game has seen. You might think he is the best of all time, plenty who have seen a lot more football and a lot more of some of the greatest players ever will disagree, and i dont think anyone can be wrong because you just cant measure it. My Dad for example, has seen pretty much every single player in the debate for the GOAT in person since the likes of Di Stefano and Puskas right the way up to Messi and now Mbappe and he still to this day considers George Best better than the lot of them and was doing the kind of things we see the modern day greats back in the 60's and 70's. Myself, i'd pick somebody like Maldini. In his position, he's every bit as good as any player thats ever played the game and did it at the top level until he was 41, absolutely incredible.

As for Ronaldo's achievements not being on Messi's level, you have to be kidding. Apart from the world cup, what hasnt he won? Major trophies in 3 countries and won the Euros with Portugal ( another debate, but arguably a tougher tournament than the world cup as there are way less " filler " teams involved ). I dont think he is as skillfull as Messi, but he's evolved himself from a top class winger into a top class striker. I still cant stand the bloke though!

I have really only ever seen him play in the Socceroos game a couple of weeks back. He was pulling on collars, pushing people over, taking dives etc etc etc. Got away with all of it scot-free too which I found pretty retarded, basically anyway he could think of cheating, he did. Is this kind of stuff taken into consideration when talking GOAT or is it completely acceptable because it’s soccer? He was the worst for it by far out of anyone playing in that game. Is this normal for him? I know in our game he would be hammered from pillar to post by all and sundry and denounced as one of the greats.

I think its pretty normal for players in the modern game to do that sort of thing. They all do it to one extent or another, its not just Messi.

If they took some of the dodgy things and traits say Ronaldo, Messi, Pele and Maradona ( probably the main 4 in the argument these days ) did into the GOAT debate, i think we would have to rule all of them out!.

I think its pretty normal for players in the modern game to do that sort of thing. They all do it to one extent or another, its not just Messi.

If they took some of the dodgy things and traits say Ronaldo, Messi, Pele and Maradona ( probably the main 4 in the argument these days ) did into the GOAT debate, i think we would have to rule all of them out!.
I have to admit I do love the hand of god goal! I don’t think I could do it though, I would own up and not accept the goal lol.

not cheer and act as though everything was legit.

As i said, winning the world cup makes no difference, that doesn't elevate him to the best player the game has seen. You might think he is the best of all time, plenty who have seen a lot more football and a lot more of some of the greatest players ever will disagree, and i dont think anyone can be wrong because you just cant measure it. My Dad for example, has seen pretty much every single player in the debate for the GOAT in person since the likes of Di Stefano and Puskas right the way up to Messi and now Mbappe and he still to this day considers George Best better than the lot of them and was doing the kind of things we see the modern day greats back in the 60's and 70's. Myself, i'd pick somebody like Maldini. In his position, he's every bit as good as any player thats ever played the game and did it at the top level until he was 41, absolutely incredible.

As for Ronaldo's achievements not being on Messi's level, you have to be kidding. Apart from the world cup, what hasnt he won? Major trophies in 3 countries and won the Euros with Portugal ( another debate, but arguably a tougher tournament than the world cup as there are way less " filler " teams involved ). I dont think he is as skillfull as Messi, but he's evolved himself from a top class winger into a top class striker. I still cant stand the bloke though!
I'm putting achievements down as the measurement of greatness, which is why I think it's Messi. No different to how many consider Brady the greatest QB, or Jordan the greatest basketball player. In football it's made more difficult due to the array of competitions and the different styles depending on the era.

If you're measuring it any other way other than maybe longevity, it gets very subjective and really becomes a debate about what you enjoy watching. Someone like Ronaldinho did things with the ball that many great players couldn't have dreamt of, while no one could hit a dead ball like Juninho. If defenders are your thing then its probably someone like Maldini, Baresi or Desailly.

Messi wouldn't make my top 20 favourite players ever but even as someone who can't stand Barcelona I accept he's the greatest when you weigh it up based on what he's achieved.

I have to admit I do love the hand of god goal! I don’t think I could do it though, I would own up and not accept the goal lol.

not cheer and act as though everything was legit.

Its not just that with Maradona though. I didnt like him, but he was a fantastic player, but he was playing on cocaine for a lot of his career, so there will always be a bit of a question mark over him.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Manlyman
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrRobot
  • Shane Tronc
  • Stix
  • broncos4life
  • Mustafur
  • Galah
  • Volvo Driver
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ostin86
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.