POST GAME [2022 State of Origin - Game 2] NSW vs QLD

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Don't blame the refs. Ref didn't make them miss shit loads of tackles, and drop the ball all the time.

As I correctly said before the series, it's too soon for the likes of Cobbo and Nanai.

And yet Cobbo set up essentially the match winning try in game 1.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Give Cobbo a break, he was poor but he is a kid. He won't have any issue getting up for the decider at his home ground in front of crazy fans screaming his name.
Sure but let's call a spade a spade.

Again, I don't mind Slater risking it and playing natural talents ahead of their time. Especially when it's in roles on the wing or coming off the bench. It's how Billy came into Origin and I'd argue it helped with his development even when he had setbacks (and he had numerous).

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
State of Origin games are a much higher intensity. If you're doing extra tackling because you're down troops and your opposition are getting repeated 6 agains, you're going to get gassed far quicker. A couple of rookie errors and the hole just gets deeper.

It takes it's toll.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Sure but let's call a spade a spade.

Again, I don't mind Slater risking it and playing natural talents ahead of their time. Especially when it's in roles on the wing or coming off the bench. It's how Billy came into Origin and I'd argue it helped with his development even when he had setbacks (and he had numerous).

Let's not pretend like I am saying he was good though either. Cobbo was awful, all I'm saying is that he should get a chance to atone.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
And yet Cobbo set up essentially the match winning try in game 1.
Am I saying he isn't talented? I'm saying he isn't ready yet. He is barely first grade ready. He has been pushed into origin way too quickly, and the same for Nanai.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Unsurprisingly, I disagree with you. They did fine, great in fact, in game 1. Suddenly, they get refereed out of the contest and it is so easy to come out and say they shouldn't have been picked.

Yet we go to the HOME decider 1-1.
The ref didn’t make Selwyn bumble balls and miss tackles.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Let's not pretend like I am saying he was good though either. Cobbo was awful, all I'm saying is that he should get a chance to atone.
I'm not but you did say to give him a break when all I did was point out his performance. I never said anything about dropping him and I agree.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Am I saying he isn't talented? I'm saying he isn't ready yet. He is barely first grade ready. He has been pushed into origin way too quickly, and the same for Nanai.

Hang on, so the kid essentially sets up the match winning try and so he is not ready? Where the heck did I say you said he isn't talented?

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Hang on, so the kid essentially sets up the match winning try and so he is not ready? Where the heck did I say you said he isn't talented?
He's not ready. He is inconsistent, which comes with youth and inexperience. Which is why he went from playing OK in game 1, to fucking woeful in game 2. Which is exactly what I've said all along.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He's not ready. He is inconsistent, which comes with youth and inexperience. Which is why he went from playing OK in game 1, to fucking woeful in game 2. Which is exactly what I've said all along.

Ponga is inconsistent yet he is first choice fullback for Qld and unanimously picked there.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Ponga is inconsistent yet he is first choice fullback for Qld and unanimously picked there.
Ponga is inconsistent between average and brilliant. Not putrid and brilliant like Cobbo.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Ponga is inconsistent between average and brilliant. Not putrid and brilliant like Cobbo.

You realise how origin teams work right? You pick a mix of the best players for your state and some X factor types. Latrell Mitchell can have some shockers, yet if he is fit, he is one of the first picked for NSW. Cobbo was putrid tonight, I back him in to be brilliant in front of a home crowd at his home ground in game 3. Anyway, I'm sure no one wants to read this back and forth, I'm done.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Oates and Moe/Flegler.
Oates has essentially played his entire career on the left hand side, don't you consider that an issue? I don't believe Taulagi has played right either and he obviously struggled as well tonight.

Similarly Fotuaika and Flegler doesn't really provide Queensland with the same coverage Nanai provides.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Oates has essentially played his entire career on the left hand side, don't you consider that an issue? I don't believe Taulagi has played right either and he obviously struggled as well tonight.

Similarly Fotuaika and Flegler doesn't really provide Queensland with the same coverage Nanai provides.
I'd have Oates on the left. Tuilagi shouldn't be in the side either.

Unread

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Lostboy
  • Lurker
  • Galah
  • Donald Garner
  • Santa
  • Dash
  • Painin the Haas
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • Stix
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.