POST GAME 2023 NRL Grand Final - Penrith vs Brisbane

It's taken me a day being miserable to look into it again. At the end of the day we finished much closer than I ever thought we would in round 1 this year and the important thing is over the off season we just focus on the completion rate and goal line defence. We will miss Herbie and Flegs but Jenson will do a job in the middle and maybe Cobbo will end up in the centres to work his way towards becoming GI 2.0. Either way we have to lock down Walsh and Mam long term and keep building their combination because its amazing. Maybe 2024 will be the year of Mozer as well? Either way it's been a way better year than I expected but the job isn't done and Kevie needs to pull these young guys up from this defeat and remind them that even Penrith lost a GF before winning 3 and it's their turn next if they put in the work that is required.

Two periods cost the Broncos, the first half, five errors in the first 15 minutes, 43% of the ball they just did too much tackling and errors. It was a miracle that it was 8-6.

That's where Panthers won it, if that is even then they aren't full of running at the end.

That was a nervous football team, that first half and Penrith just stayed the course.
No errors.

I read during the week about how the Broncos have all played Origin and it's no different- it is different- it's a different mindset. Origin you're in camp away from everything and the QRL control the narrative. Grand Finals no hiding away it's all pressure and attention and even if a player doesn't acknowledge it, you'll play 22 Origins, you will get picked game two, game two happens no matter what- you might never play in another Grand Final.

Broncos 20 minutes was sensational, but it was a good 20 minutes in a game and that doesn't beat Penrith.

In the end Penrith played a great 60 minutes and Broncos played a great 20 minutes.
That first 15 minutes killed us. Those unforced errors coming out of our own end have been happening all season and came back to bite us. Walsh, Staggs and cobbo need to work really hard on this, nothing wrong with making an error down the other end trying to score points but the same guys making them every week in the play the ball or a simple dropped ball just isn’t good enough. Reminds me of the roosters a few years ago, as good as they were you always knew tupou and SKD were good for an error or 2 a game. I still don’t understand the short drop out tactic, when we actually looked quite comfortable defending our line in the first half.

Every week they seem to change their opinion on our purchase of Reynolds from Souths.

Hmmm ... since gaining Reynolds we have gone from cellar dwellers to losing a GF by 2 points against the most dominant team in modern day history (while only having 44% possession, mind you)

Since losing Reynolds, Souths have going from losing a GF by 2 points ... to missing the 8 completely, in the worst capitulation in NRL history

We win
Let's see if you feel the same after playing in 6 prelims, 1 grand final and no silverware to show for it.

I’ve moved onto anger in my cycle of grief stages.

Mother fkers were up by 16 and bottled it. Why are we taking the short drop out, just belt the skin off the ball Adam ffs. Why didn’t Selwyn and Reece stop Crichton - they both went for hero plays in the ball fark. Patty dropping that ball fmd.

🤬 Adam passing to Piakura on the 5th 20m out instead of putting a kick in - like bro wtf. Herbie offload to no one on the 2nd.

A TERRIBLE kick (or pass) by Nathan is watched bouncing by 5 broncos. Billy just stood there. We only have ourselves to blame.

——
I’m just scared we will drop away rather than use this to fuel us….and it sucks that we won’t know the answer until 6 months time when they come back.

Fml.

How we all feel in photo form.

I’ve moved onto anger in my cycle of grief stages.

Mother fkers were up by 16 and bottled it. Why are we taking the short drop out, just belt the skin off the ball Adam ffs. Why didn’t Selwyn and Reece stop Crichton - they both went for hero plays in the ball fark. Patty dropping that ball fmd.

🤬 Adam passing to Piakura on the 5th 20m out instead of putting a kick in - like bro wtf. Herbie offload to no one on the 2nd.

A TERRIBLE kick (or pass) by Nathan is watched bouncing by 5 broncos. Billy just stood there. We only have ourselves to blame.

——
I’m just scared we will drop away rather than use this to fuel us….and it sucks that we won’t know the answer until 6 months time when they come back.

Fml.
Me too. It woke me up at 1am and I couldn't sleep for a few hours again because I was just replaying everything in my head. Can't wait for the anger and 'what-if's to subside and just move on with my life.

Most are young bulls with that invincible feeling of being under 25 and not weary oldies (like how most of us feel). Reyno and Capewell are my concerns.

We gotta have faith and not stew for 6 months

I just wanted to add, feel free to message if you need to vent. I am back at work today and literally cannot focus.. mind racing and feeling actual physical pain.

I NEVER want to feel this feeling again. I hope the boys rally and we are in the big dance again in 2024. We just have to let this be the catalyst for success

I hope Reynolds doesn't listen to some of these Buzz like absolute tossers in the media.

Tallis has thrown his 2 cents in now ... telling the club to hold off on re-signing Reynolds

Tallis has thrown his 2 cents in now ... telling the club to hold off on re-signing Reynolds
Don't get to have a poor game in a GF if you don't make the GF.... such a hot take.

I agree with Tallis, not because I think Reynolds isn't playing well or worth re-signing but things change pretty quickly at 33. At the same age and premiers Alf just pulled the pin in April 99.

Who would have thought in September 98 that was on the cards?

I'd be letting Reynolds have a break, assure him he's wanted and needed but let's talk in April when you've done a pre-season and come back for a few rounds.

Got to be honest and transparent with him, but it's no good for anyone if he signs on for 25 and then in April wants out.

If it gets to April and he says I will wind up at the end of this year, you've saved yourself some heartache.

Or he says I feel great, I want another year, you can make an informed choice.

I don’t think the criticism of Reynolds is unwarranted and I also wouldn’t be rushing into re-signing him. I definitely wouldn’t be re-signing him on a big contract.

The reality is, we needed him to take charge in that final 20 of the GF and he just went completely missing. I am not saying he is a bust either, that’s just usual gossip columning by the usual media idiots. He’s done so much for the club and we’ll always owe him for that bit he really didn’t do his job on Sunday night sadly.

If he is willing to take less though with the view to staying on in a coaching capacity, very keen to get it done for an extra year though.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.