2023 State of Origin Discussion

On David Fifita, I think this is the year he must be picked no matter what, NSW media right now are looking at Olakau'atu like he is the best second rower that has ever existed atm, yet big Dave is beating him in every single metric he is good at this year, he is the best second rower form wise with daylight second at the moment, it might be Foran that has unlocked his best but man he is playing well right now(I think it's another example of having some good experience in your side can make alot of players around them much better).

I don't know if I would have him starting because Capewell plays soo well for QLD and is very versatile, but he has to be in the side.

Gonna be the pedant and say the Haumole has 2 more tries and 5 more tackles 😉

But if I had to pick Fifita or Olakau'atu as the best 2RF, it's Fifita no question - he's been better more consistently

I think Fifita and Ponga after today must surely be in this Queensland squad.

Ponga played his way back into form...... great game yesterday.

Fifita scoring length of the field tries. How many backrowers can do that.....?

Both must be in the 17 for mine.

I would go:

1. Ponga
2. Gagai
3. Holmes
4. Hammer
5. Cobbo
6. Munser
7. DCE
8. Welch
9. Hunt
10. Tino
11. Kaufusi
12. Fifita
13. Cotter

14. Grant
15. Collins
16. Carrigan
17. Arrow

I would go:

1. Ponga
2. Gagai
3. Holmes
4. Hammer
5. Cobbo
6. Munser
7. DCE
8. Welch
9. Hunt
10. Tino
11. Kaufusi
12. Fifita
13. Cotter

14. Grant
15. Collins
16. Carrigan
17. Arrow
Let’s hope Billy has enough fucken respect to not make Walsh 18th man. **** that would be so annoying. Missing Walsh for a game just to not play origin.

I think I've arrived at my team too, dependent on injuries of course:

1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. Gagai
4. Hammer
5. Cobbo
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Cotter
9. Hunt
10. Tino
11. Capewell
12. Kaufusi
13. GIlbert

14. Grant
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. Fifita

Now I am aware that this won't be the team and if it were, guys like Mo, Arrow, Collins and Walsh are unlucky to not make the side but so be it. That said, I am sure Papalii, Collins and Coates will be in the side.

Let’s hope Billy has enough fucken respect to not make Walsh 18th man. **** that would be so annoying. Missing Walsh for a game just to not play origin.

Doesn't the 18th man typically get released to their club if there are no injury concerns?

Doesn't the 18th man typically get released to their club if there are no injury concerns?
No, 18th man is required at the game because they can play at any notice.

1 failed HIA off a penalty brings out the 18th man this year rather then 3 I think it was last year.

The side ought to look like:

1. Walsh (will be Ponga off the back of one good game against a horrible defensive side)
2. Tualigi (they will probably pick Coates which would obviously be a mistake. I can't pick Oates due to limited footy; however, if they're picking Ponga despite his form and games played then Oates should be here)
3. Gagai (sounding like he's going to be dropped for Hammer which is weird)
4. Holmes
5. Cobbo
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Collins
9. Grant
10. Tino
11. Kaufusi
12. Fifi (Capewell won't be dropped tho)
13. Carrigan

14. Hunt
15. Cotter (been better of late but down on his form from last season)
16. Horse
17. Arrow

EDIT: If Freddy doesn't lose the plot with his selections, which is highly likely to happen, then NSW deserve to be clear favourite.

Note that the rumours Gagai will be dropped are coming out of NSW by Fox reporters that have no affiliation with Slater, what would they know? It is even weirder when you consider that Gagai has actually been going pretty well this year.

If QLD lose game 1 off a Ponga shocker it would be a big wake-up call on our conservative team selections, but as of current the model of picking past proven performers has worked so I can understand the hesitation of deviating from it, especially on the back of a winning series last year.

While I think Walsh is just a better Fullback than Ponga, he still hasn't played at Origin level so there is always going to be a high Barrier for entry.

It was always going to be more dependent on how Ponga is playing than anything Reece could do.

Right centre seems to be our biggest issue. Not sure if gagai is up to origin anymore.

Walsh isnt Origin ready. Its too unforgiving of the type of errors he has in his game. On the wing he could possibly get away with things but not at fullback. He needs at least another 12 months of NRL footy to iron out the small things in his game he needs to work on. Even then, its going to be hard for him to displace Ponga. Apart from one game he hasnt played poorly this season for Newcastle. Long term the only thing i could see hampering him is the fitness at 6 is different to the fitness you need at 1.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • lynx000
  • Browny
  • DrGee
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncoFan94
  • TimWhatley
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skyblues87
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Morkel
  • rj9
  • BruiserMk1
  • bert_lifts
  • Rookie Alan
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.