2023 State of Origin Discussion

Ponga basically gave it away when he said Billy never contacted him, he had been talking to walsh every week.

Graham out, Crichton in.

Sternum injury. Now watch him make a recovery in time for Souths game against Raiders this week..
I don’t blame them, it’s stupid that the states get to quarantine players that won’t even play, but it’s clearly gaming the system and the nrl shouldn't allow it.

Interesting points to note about the props:

- All four starting props (for BOTH states) are current or former Broncos
- All four starting props are likely to be ex-Broncos post-2024

Other interesting notes:

- 12 of the players from both sides extended squads are current or ex-Broncos
- Only 5 of them are currently Broncos
- After 2024, only 3 of them likely will be

Looking at the whole team it's very form based outside the Cowboys backs, more so than any QLD team I have seen for years.

Billy certainly is doing things different than past coaches.

I would've had Gagai on the wing but apart from that can't complain. Ponga is better than Walsh at full fitness and has been great for QLD and created so many opportunities with his passing game, it's a big shame he isn't playing but I understand it.

NSW look great and having suffered 2 of the biggest upsets within 3 years they aren't gonna be caught off guard.

he was a guarantee before Kaufusi was suspended (assuming he pleads guilty)
OK.

I really don't like the Walsh pick. He still has way too many errors in his game for origin, and Ponga won us the series last year.

Flegler and Tino should swap. And Gilbert on an edge is just strange. I'd have gone Su'a or Arrow.

This is the first time in a long time NSW haven't butchered their side for game 1, and QLD have. NSW favorites.

Mehh....I'm not that bent out of shape about some of the selections......

Until this weekend....Ponga was in the side I reckon. Its understandable to leave him out with his ongoing concussion problems.

Gagai....mehh. In some ways his whole SOO career has been a mirror of Darius Boyd's. Catch and fall over the try line. Yes......Boyd is still QLD's leading try scorer .......but, a reserve grader could have scored half of those.
If we're relying on Dane Gagai to win QLD the series.......we're in a a more trouble than we think.

I have faith in Slater...... and the team he's selected.

QUEENSLANDER !!!

rugby league kiss GIF by NRL

Gagai....mehh. In some ways his whole SOO career has been a mirror of Darius Boyd's. Catch and fall over the try line. Yes......Boyd is still QLD's leading try scorer .......but, a reserve grader could have scored half of those.
If we're relying on Dane Gagai to win QLD the series.......we're in a a more trouble than we think.
Umm....What?

If we're relying on Dane Gagai to win QLD the series.......we're in a lot more trouble than we think.

sorry for the typo......

OK.

I really don't like the Walsh pick. He still has way too many errors in his game for origin, and Ponga won us the series last year.

Flegler and Tino should swap. And Gilbert on an edge is just strange. I'd have gone Su'a or Arrow.

This is the first time in a long time NSW haven't butchered their side for game 1, and QLD have. NSW favorites.
I'm not putting too much faith in the positions players have been named in tbh. Can definitely see Tino and Fleg swapping prior to kick off.

I agree with most re: Walsh/Ponga; but one thing that is interesting is that back when Slater was a youngster the reason I always wanted Hunt over him in the Origin team was that Slater was prone to a lot of mistakes.

In the end, the quality of the player shone through.

I think Walsh is the perfect kind of player to take advantage of the breaks Munster makes, there is alot of Attack in this team, especially when Grant comes on off the bench.

I think we have them in the forwards this year, which is surprising. Fittler has gone for aggression, clearly, all those guys except maybe Murray are pretty fierce. But Paulo hasn't been his best this year, neither has Friz, and TPJ...well we know how loose he gets under pressure... Seems a bit odd tbh. And relying on Api for the whole game is also an interesting choice, I thought perhaps Hynes had done enough to unseat Luai with Cook coming onto the bench. Interesting from Fittler.

The backs though, **** we're in strife there. Mitchell is going to smash either Val or Hammer, it's going to be very fucking ugly on the edges. Let's hope he's on Gilbert's side and Gilbert can smash him a few times early to take his head out of the game, otherwise I really don't like what I see there. How Tuulagi gets in I'll never know, he's been terrible this year. I'd have Oates over him even coming back from injury. Hope Walsh gets through unscathed and Cobbo doesn't have his dick finger gloves on.

If we're relying on Dane Gagai to win QLD the series.......we're in a lot more trouble than we think.

sorry for the typo......
I agree that the selection won't be the difference between winning and losing but I think you're under-selling both Boyd and Gagai. Dane in particular used to be the Maroons version of To'o and would just eat up the metres and was usually good for a long range intercept.

I don't mind the selection choice, but that's a very blase comment Fourex. It's something I'd expect a Blues fan to type...

Tualagi has one game to do something otherwise Oates will be coming in hopefully. Easier to drop Gagai now I guess

sorry for the typo......
For someone who seems like a bigger Queensland fan than a Broncos fan, I’m worried that you’ve seen neither player play Origin.

sorry for the typo......
This is the same spud that said carrigan was a qcup player at best?

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • jd87
  • Broncorob
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • Shane Tronc
  • BroncoFan94
  • Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
  • Lurker
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.