2023 State of Origin - Game III Discussion

That call where Klein reversed the penalty and gave a knock was absolute BS.

it is so obvious that the bunker tipped him off (which they are not allowed to do unless it is a chargeable offence, which a knock on isn't) ... and they did this because NSW wasted their challenge a few minutes earlier.

it was absolute fucking corruption that Annesley will sweep under the carpet
I spoke to a ref recently, he told me that the refs boss is also in their ear and that referees get fined for not meeting KPI’s.

That call off To' os head is just ridiculous and should shine a light on the whole loose carry enterpretation. I'm not even sure it's an actual rule, however you can carry a ball as loose as you want its how it's dislodged that should matter because the ruling ( apparently by the touch judge FFS) was knock on.
At what point did that ball ever go forward off Collins.
It's got me stumped how the refs get so tangled up with something so simple.
Did Collins drop it , no.
Did To'0 accudently knock it out, yes.
Was Best offside , yes.
Good call Klein , overruled by a touchie 25 mtrs away and behind the play, bungler says righto we'll go with that call.
I can see your POV, but I'm fine with the call. It's deemed lost on point of contact and since To'o was infront of Collins, he's knocked it into him before the ball has spewed back because of the force of contact.

I was fine with it when McGuire did the same thing to P Wallace in 2017 (I'm pretty sure I have that right) and I'm fine with the ruling here.

It's just how we got to it, this being the second time where it appeared Klein was over-ruled when he shouldn't have been that annoys me.

'It was Joe the cameraman that tipped him off!'

Yeah, ok bud.

referees get fined for not meeting KPI’s.

Surely this is illegal? You can't fine an employee for not meeting a KPI - you can do a performance review or whatever, and 'manage' them, but I don't see how any organisation could fine them for being bad at their job - it goes against workplace legislation.

Then again, the NRL is a fucking cooked organisation, so who knows. Someone more eager than me should dig up the award or EA that governs the referees, if such a thing exists.

Edit: I found it.

Players have to be penalised for loose carries.

It’s the ball carriers job to adequately protect their possession of the ball. If you’re going into a tackle and the ball contacts the head of the defender and comes flying out like they punched it out, you haven’t protected your possession of the ball and should be penalised for that.

It’s the definition of a loose carry.

They have been pretty consistent ruling those knock ons.

I'm surprised no-one (apologies if I've missed it) has mentioned NSW challenging a call that wasn't made at the time they lost their challenge.

The ref had not made a call, as such. You can't challenge the absence of a call (ie the DCE "trip") - so what the **** even was that? My understanding is that you can only challenge a ref call at a stoppage in play. You can't tell the ref to go back because he missed something.

Or have I got it wrong?

In any case the officiating was farcical. QLD played like trash for the most part, and NSW were much better. They deserved the win, as much as it pains me to say it.

Since it was a last tackle turn-over, it was deemed a stoppage in play. You can just throw out a general challenge under the guise that the referee was wrong to rule a changeover.

I'm surprised no-one (apologies if I've missed it) has mentioned NSW challenging a call that wasn't made at the time they lost their challenge.

The ref had not made a call, as such. You can't challenge the absence of a call (ie the DCE "trip") - so what the **** even was that? My understanding is that you can only challenge a ref call at a stoppage in play. You can't tell the ref to go back because he missed something.

Or have I got it wrong?

In any case the officiating was farcical. QLD played like trash for the most part, and NSW were much better. They deserved the win, as much as it pains me to say it.
The stoppage in play was last tackle and handover... so they were challenging handover of the ball.

Except what they were actually wanting to challenge was Cody getting a slightly high tackle as he ducked down.

He even said to the ref later on "what about the high shot".. and ref said no it was incidental, at which point someone else said, "but that's still high".

Which is the case in point as to why you cant challenge for foul play like that... there is incidental high contact in almost every tackle... except the bunker has never followed that up and continues to consider foul play as part of challenges

NSW won the same challenege in game 2 when Luai got caught on last tackle but Walsh made a last ditch tackle.

It was the same incorrect ruling that got rorters a win against us when there was a finger tip high tackle from Flegler a couple years back

Cheers guys, I was a bit drunk and disinterested like the rest of the team lastnight and I certainly am not going to bother rewatching it, but I knew there was something that made me wonder why they could challenge a non-call.

Apparently SoO will be played over a month next year.
10 day lead in and back to back games. over 3 weeks.

Still mid year.
I was at a sportsman's lunch yesterday and a qld selector had had a couple and let it slip.
The way he said it was like it's a done deal.
At the time I thought hmmm that hasn't been announced.
Watch this get into the CM

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • lynx000
  • RolledOates
  • marw
  • whykickamoocow
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • HarryAllan7
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Strop
  • LittleDavey
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Midean
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.