2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Set restart rule on the chopping block? Oh please let us be rid of it! 🙏

I think it's almost too late to put the genie back in the bottle isnt it?

Teams are happy to give away a 6 again in order to slow the ruck down... penalties just slow it down further. Teams are also happy to defend their own goal line on short drop outs... so they wont care about defending repeatedly off their line.

What they actually need to do is officiate the ruck better... teams with the longest boot are winning field position and possession because yardage penalties are given so rarely that they're absolutely golden and game changing when they occur.

It would be very interesting to see where the most 6 agains are given and the highest percentage of tackle number.

I daresay it's inside the 20m (defending goal line) and on tackle 1-2.

Refs are happy to give penalties in those situatuons, because they have a pretty low impact on the game... the game changers are yardage penalties and 6 agains late in the tackle count (even on your goal line).

That's where the refs need to fix their shit up, because no team is fucking perfect but some refereeing suggests that they are at times.

Back in the day if a team was falling behind a little bit of how's Trent resulted in a yardage penalty to give the team behind some hope... slowed the game down, time for a breather, time to setup your attack and give the team some field position... they've gone away from that but are letting teams get away with murder in the ruck.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Deep in the Heart of Queensland
Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
The 360 panel .. seriously do they really think that Parra could care less that they are all so pissy that they haven't announced their new coach yet?

These journos really do act like such an arrogant and entitled bunch.

Call Parra disgraceful or whatever word they used .. because they are not dancing to the beat of their drum .. soo pathetic. I really hope Parra don't announce the new signing until the end of the year .. be so much fun to see the journos losing their collective minds.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
They won't get rid of the 6 again, it is iconic with this current regime. To get rid of it would be to admit they majorly screwed up.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
They won't get rid of the 6 again, it is iconic with this current regime. To get rid of it would be to admit they majorly screwed up.
If they cared about the game the could though and save face in the process. All the need to do is say the are removing the 6 again's as they have served their purpose in speeding up the game and reducing the wrestle. They will be now given the refs more latitude to keep the wrestle from returning to what it was. Easy.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If they cared about the game the could though and save face in the process. All the need to do is say the are removing the 6 again's as they have served their purpose in speeding up the game and reducing the wrestle. They will be now given the refs more latitude to keep the wrestle from returning to what it was. Easy.

Except removing takes away what they were designed to do in addition to being an embarrassment by removing them - it takes away a ref's ability to manage games without being accountable.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Double down, remove yardage penalties and just make everything a six again except foul play.

Vlandys probably

🤔 Or even triple down and make it even faster and more like touch football where you can just put the ball on the ground and not play it with the foot..................oh.....errrrmmmmm.........sorry......................that already happens............my mistake.............carry on.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I don't think removing set restarts will necessarily make for a better product. You're still relying on the same systems and it's clear that the game is far too overwhelming to be officiated to everyone's liking.

The key with the set restart is that it keeps the ball in play which essentially means more action which is an easy sell for fans.

The only real down-side is player fatigue and the role that plays in injuries and foul play. However the NRL seems to have their heads in the sand over it and believe that harsher penalties will act as a deterrent.

I don't think it's actually gotten rid of the wrestle. The smart teams have adapted and have modified their tackle technique and will deliberately give away a tackle 1-2 set restart to reset the line.

The ruck is as bad as ever but it's just going to take better judgement than a complete rule change. For instance, players being forced to play it on the mark and not being able to knee players in the head would be a nice start.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I don't think removing set restarts will necessarily make for a better product. You're still relying on the same systems and it's clear that the game is far too overwhelming to be officiated to everyone's liking.

The key with the set restart is that it keeps the ball in play which essentially means more action which is an easy sell for fans.

The only real down-side is player fatigue and the role that plays in injuries and foul play. However the NRL seems to have their heads in the sand over it and believe that harsher penalties will act as a deterrent.

I don't think it's actually gotten rid of the wrestle. The smart teams have adapted and have modified their tackle technique and will deliberately give away a tackle 1-2 set restart to reset the line.

The ruck is as bad as ever but it's just going to take better judgement than a complete rule change. For instance, players being forced to play it on the mark and not being able to knee players in the head would be a nice start.
Unfortunately I think you are spot on here. All it shows to me is outside of Broncos games the AFL looks better and better every day.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Unfortunately I think you are spot on here. All it shows to me is outside of Broncos games the AFL looks better and better every day.

Their new CEO has not got off to a good start either though with the way and his management have screwed around with will they, won’t they draft changes. This has been handled like an NRL decision.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Except removing takes away what they were designed to do in addition to being an embarrassment by removing them - it takes away a ref's ability to manage games without being accountable.

I used to think game management was a cliche .
Then I learnt the other week the Ref`s coach has a feed to the ref`s ear piece . That started me thinking how da fck is betting legit if you have a guy remote to the game on the field giving orders to the referee about his rulings or lack of .

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Two referees.... and go back to penalties. Simple. It should have never been removed in the first place. Instead of chopping and changing who controls the ruck and 10m. The pocket controls the pocket and the main ref controls the whole game. It doesn't need to be equal opportunity or close to it like it was. But it is vlandys and he changed it so it's not going until he is gone.

If they don't change it then the biggest thing I want to see remedied is not falling for guys stepping off the mark or in front of the mark and then calling markers out. Na **** that if you want to do that I don't care if you are 15cm not square you can tackle them. One thing the referees are actually good at these days is not allowing the guy playing the ball to baulk before he plays the ball. If he does that the ref allows them to be as offside as much as they like and it is play on. Make it the same with guys that step off the mark. If you want to do that shit you don't get the benefit of the doubt. The marker can clean the next play up. Or simply penalise them fornstepping that far off. It's horrible. The drinkwater JFH one was an easy example. He steps 1m in front of where he actually got tackled and drinkwater is then called not square/offside. It happens all the time. No wonder it's hard to stop momentum when you are giving 6 agains for that.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Two referees.... and go back to penalties. Simple. It should have never been removed in the first place. Instead of chopping and changing who controls the ruck and 10m. The pocket controls the pocket and the main ref controls the whole game. It doesn't need to be equal opportunity or close to it like it was. But it is vlandys and he changed it so it's not going until he is gone.

If they don't change it then the biggest thing I want to see remedied is not falling for guys stepping off the mark or in front of the mark and then calling markers out. Na **** that if you want to do that I don't care if you are 15cm not square you can tackle them. One thing the referees are actually good at these days is not allowing the guy playing the ball to baulk before he plays the ball. If he does that the ref allows them to be as offside as much as they like and it is play on. Make it the same with guys that step off the mark. If you want to do that shit you don't get the benefit of the doubt. The marker can clean the next play up. Or simply penalise them fornstepping that far off. It's horrible. The drinkwater JFH one was an easy example. He steps 1m in front of where he actually got tackled and drinkwater is then called not square/offside. It happens all the time. No wonder it's hard to stop momentum when you are giving 6 agains for that.

One referee, get rid of the micro management. Humans make mistakes, allow for the mistakes. Let the man in the middle adjudicate the game.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • phoenix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fozz
  • bazza
  • Lostboy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Stix
  • RolledOates
  • Tmac
  • MrMoore
  • kman
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Gaz
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.