2024 NRL Player Movements & Rumours

I doubt Horsburgh would be too expensive especially the fact he isn't even playing NRL.

Thankfully your boy did.
Not without asking for an upgrade mid-contract.

Sure, there's more selfish players in the team, but Carrigan knows his value and he isn't being underpaid.

Corey Parker is a player who took unders his entire career and look at how well that worked out for him. He's a club legend and he can have any opinion he wants about the club, but fans don't care about any of the sacrifices he made for the betterment of the club.

Brisbane desperately need to make a signing. However Horsburgh comes with a lot of red flags and shouldn't be a priority.

What they really need to do is focus on life after Reynolds and their backrow stocks. They have Bryce, Armstrong and Horne coming through but I'd be looking at free agency/reserve grade to try and get that blue chip prospect.

Hopefully it works out better than it did with O'Ofou and Johnson.

Sure, there's more selfish players in the team, but Carrigan knows his value and he isn't being underpaid.

Corey Parker is a player who took unders his entire career and look at how well that worked out for him. He's a club legend and he can have any opinion he wants about the club, but fans don't care about any of the sacrifices he made for the betterment of the club.

Brisbane desperately need to make a signing. However Horsburgh comes with a lot of red flags and shouldn't be a priority.

What they really need to do is focus on life after Reynolds and their backrow stocks. They have Bryce, Armstrong and Horne coming through but I'd be looking at free agency/reserve grade to try and get that blue chip prospect.

I dont think he's being underpaid as such, but he could have certainly got a lot more elsewhere.

I dont think he's being underpaid as such, but he could have certainly got a lot more elsewhere.
There was plenty of interest, but it wasn't like he was being offered David Fifita esque money either.

He's on at least $800K a season, if not more pending on how they structure a deal.

There was plenty of interest, but it wasn't like he was being offered David Fifita esque money either.

He's on at least $800K a season, if not more pending on how they structure a deal.

Think he is actually on about $850k, but he certainly got offered more elsewhere than he got here, i know he got abigger offer from the Phins. He's consistently taken less to stay here since day one. He's the only big name player we have upgraded as well who has proved he is worth the big money.

Its not like we need all the players to take big paycuts. If we get 3 or 4 taking 100-150k a year less it all adds to the war chest for others.

Think he is actually on about $850k, but he certainly got offered more elsewhere than he got here, i know he got abigger offer from the Phins. He's consistently taken less to stay here since day one. He's the only big name player we have upgraded as well who has proved he is worth the big money.

Its not like we need all the players to take big paycuts. If we get 3 or 4 taking 100-150k a year less it all adds to the war chest for others.
That would have been in 2021 when fans on here thought the Broncos over-paid to keep him. He signed till the end of 2024 but before he could really explore his options he went to the Broncos asking for an upgrade.

It was all reasonable from Patty and good business from both sides. However, it's not like Melbourne who are really good at investing in players and paying 'overs' for young talent, only for them to be 'unders' by the time they're nearing the end of their contract.

That would have been in 2021 when fans on here thought the Broncos over-paid to keep him. He signed till the end of 2024 but before he could really explore his options he went to the Broncos asking for an upgrade.

It was all reasonable from Patty and good business from both sides. However, it's not like Melbourne who are really good at investing in players and paying 'overs' for young talent, only for them to be 'unders' by the time they're nearing the end of their contract.

Didn't we try this model with Flegs, Piaks and even Herbie? I would assume we have done something similar with Willison, Te Kura and Mozer. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have players willing to stay for less other than Oatesy and that other teams seem to have no trouble with either. Of course, Tripp giving totally ok with NRL gambling incentives to players wouldn't have anything to do with that either.

2023 was his upgrade iirc. Probably fair enough as well considering the growth he had as a player.

I still think generally our contract dealings have been pretty poor in recent times.

Didn't we try this model with Flegs, Piaks and even Herbie? I would assume we have done something similar with Willison, Te Kura and Mozer. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have players willing to stay for less other than Oatesy and that other teams seem to have no trouble with either. Of course, Tripp giving totally ok with NRL gambling incentives to players wouldn't have anything to do with that either.
The difference is Melbourne are generally smarter about which players they put 'overs' into and they don't get carried away.

For instance, Piakura's deal came about because the Broncos had just lost Reece Walsh, they believed they couldn't afford to lose another player so they ended up matching the Bulldogs offer to sign him at the 11th hour.

As a result, the only time they got any value out of the deal was during the second half of 2023.

Then they immediately upgraded him before he had really proved himself as anything more than a bench player.

Herbie if anything was under-valued by the club. Was one of the first players to sign on when everyone else was steering clear of the Broncos. Then only offered a modest deal, so he only signed on for a year to see if the Broncos could come closer to the Dolphins deal and when they couldn't he moved on.

Granted, the Melbourne team on paper isn't anything special. What makes them special is Bellamy, how he wants his team to play, being able to put that team together and getting them to play it consistently. It still remains to be seen whether this team he has currently will be able to play that way in September.

2023 was his upgrade iirc. Probably fair enough as well considering the growth he had as a player.

I still think generally our contract dealings have been pretty poor in recent times.
I meant it would have been 2021 when the Dolphins would have made him a sizeable offer. He was off with his knee reco, Bennett was desperate and was chasing hard.

I'm sure they may have enquired about 2025 and beyond, but I doubt those discussions would have gone far especially after the Dolphins had just signed Flegler and Farnworth. There would have been some water under the bridge and they themselves would have been locking players in long term at that stage.

IIRC Parker only took unders because he was too much of a tightarse to give a cut to an agent, and subsequently just accepted whatever figure the Broncos gave him.

IIRC Parker only took unders because he was too much of a tightarse to give a cut to an agent, and subsequently just accepted whatever figure the Broncos gave him.
Yep, probably the reason he's so bitter at us these days. He was always an asshole and a narcissist. It's way more apparent these days. I knew at the time we'd have no success with him as captain.

That may have been a factor, but he received better offers and turned them down to stick with the club.

In his book, I believe he never earned more than $300,000 per year at the club which is pretty staggering.

Weren't the players upset with the Kennedy signing because he was earning $450,000 a year?

Forget Parker as co-captain tommy, maybe that should have clued you in.

Do I see old salty is raiding the Dolphins for some bunnies recruits?
Shocked Hot Tea GIF by Prodigal Son

He’ll also try and take some of ours, just wait.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Alec
  • Skyblues87
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.