2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Travis Meyn says Kevvie wanted to play Koby Black, but the NRL said no because he's under 18.
Ballin is coach, will fly to LA after the game.

Screenshot 2024 02 20 at 15 01 55 Broncos Team List Trial v Sea Eagles

So I guess this kind of implies Hunt isn’t in the round 1 17.
Doesn't look like it. Appears as though they will use Carrigan as the backup for Piakura. No word on injuries to Kobe either so he must be right to play which puts me at ease.

All in all, i hope Piakura will be right for round 1.

That's an interesting note on Coby, I wonder when his birthday is? I believe the Queensland Cup has the same restrictions and you have to apply for an exemption. I believe it was granted to Tanah Boyd when he was with the Broncos, but I think the Magpies were low on depth, it was only one game and Boyd was just about to turn 18.

I'm surprised to see Jaiyden Hunt named. How many players are able to come to Vegas again? 21? 22? 23? Would have thought for sure he'd be a lock for that reserve group.

I'd imagine as that stands the team will look like:

Reece Walsh, Corey Oates, Kotoni Staggs, Selwyn Cobbo, Jesse Arthars, Ezra Mam, Adam Reynolds, Corey Jensen, Billy Walters, Payne Haas, Brendan Piakura, Jordan Riki, Patrick Carrigan

Tyson Smoothy, Kobe Hetherington, Fletcher Baker, Xavier Willison

Tristan Sailor, Deine Mariner, Jock Madden, Martin Taupau

With the wing spot and those last two bench spots up in the air.

That's an interesting note on Coby, I wonder when his birthday is? I believe the Queensland Cup has the same restrictions and you have to apply for an exemption. I believe it was granted to Tanah Boyd when he was with the Broncos, but I think the Magpies were low on depth, it was only one game and Boyd was just about to turn 18.

I'm surprised to see Jaiyden Hunt named. How many players are able to come to Vegas again? 21? 22? 23? Would have thought for sure he'd be a lock for that reserve group.

Reece Walsh, Corey Oates, Kotoni Staggs, Selwyn Cobbo, Jesse Arthars, Ezra Mam, Adam Reynolds, Corey Jensen, Billy Walters, Payne Haas, Brendan Piakura, Jordan Riki, Patrick Carrigan

He's 18 in a month.

Totally agree. I would imagine Taupau would have locked up one bench spot and Willison as well. Hetherington of course but Willison and Taupau were both super impressive in the trials.

But yeah, Baker was bought in for a reason was pretty good for the Roosters last year. Nice headache to have.

Seems awfully risky only taking one additional forward over, when we already have Piakura a 50/50 chance to play.

He's 18 in a month.
Ta, I doubt they'll be in any rush with Rodgers and Hamilton there.

Still, it'll be interesting to see how long he hangs around in Mal Meninga Cup. It maybe in his best interest to stay there as long as possible. Especially since it's an extended competition and the QRL have opened it up to U/19s.

Ta, I doubt they'll be in any rush with Rodgers and Hamilton there.

Still, it'll be interesting to see how long he hangs around in Mal Meninga Cup. It maybe in his best interest to stay there as long as possible. Especially since it's an extended competition and the QRL have opened it up to U/19s.

He will play Mening and then where he plays Cup will be decided. He had a limited season in 22 and only played two Cryil games and played six games last year in Meninga.

So he really hasn't played that much statewide football. 7th game on the weekend so it's all football he needs to be playing.

He will play Mening and then where he plays Cup will be decided. He had a limited season in 22 and only played two Cryil games and played six games last year in Meninga.

So he really hasn't played that much statewide football. 7th game on the weekend so it's all football he needs to be playing.
I agree, ideally, you'd have Black play the entire Mal Meninga Cup season. That should all wrap up by Round 12 of QCup, which would leave you with around 10 games to give him an opportunity. You assess the situation and look to get him a game.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Shane Tronc
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • mitch222
  • leon.bott
  • Alec
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.