2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Exactly right. One could argue no player hasn’t improved under Kev except maybe like Paix but I’d say he has been surpassed more so than regressed.
On top of that, Kev might have flicked all the players he couldn't improve: Dearden, Milford, Turpin, Brenko, Capewell etc.

Not sure whether Staggs has improved. He's oscillated between extraordinary and ordinary most of his career. He made the Kangaroos last year, so I suppose there's that.

Trivia time

Ezra Mam has 100% win rate at halfback for the Broncos.

Here's what happened in the dressing room, the last time he wore the 7 for us:

On top of that, Kev might have flicked all the players he couldn't improve: Dearden, Milford, Turpin, Brenko, Capewell etc.

Not sure whether Staggs has improved. He's oscillated between extraordinary and ordinary most of his career. He made the Kangaroos last year, so I suppose there's that.
Yeah Staggs seems to be stagnating a little bit.

Watching rorters yesterday and some of the quick hands they were showing to get easy tries and I was thinking we dont really do that... Capewell might've had the quickest hands in that respect, when he'd drop out the back and Herbie would come under.

Staggs tries the bat on every now and then, but not consistent enough that teams cant rush him and shut it down.

His defence was still a bit iffy last year as well... mostly decision making more so than contact.

I do think he'll up his work rate this year though.

In games where we had no Oates his work rate went through the roof to compensate... with Herbie gone I think he'll put his hand up for more hitups and that can only be a good thing... he'll probably feel more involved instead of sitting on the edge thinking he has to get a linebreak or create something every time the team spread to him

Yeah Staggs seems to be stagnating a little bit.

Watching rorters yesterday and some of the quick hands they were showing to get easy tries and I was thinking we dont really do that... Capewell might've had the quickest hands in that respect, when he'd drop out the back and Herbie would come under.

Staggs tries the bat on every now and then, but not consistent enough that teams cant rush him and shut it down.

His defence was still a bit iffy last year as well... mostly decision making more so than contact.

I do think he'll up his work rate this year though.

In games where we had no Oates his work rate went through the roof to compensate... with Herbie gone I think he'll put his hand up for more hitups and that can only be a good thing... he'll probably feel more involved instead of sitting on the edge thinking he has to get a linebreak or create something every time the team spread to him
Completely agree. Capewell's passing game was underappreciated. By far the best of our "centres."

But we did have the best attacking stats in the comp, so maybe it's swings and roundabouts with this stuff.

I feel a bit bad for Hoeter. I like him personally, and he's fine as a fill in, but I'm not interested in watching him trial in that position.

Piakura minor knee strain. Scans tomorrow. Kevvie hopeful he'll be right for first round.
Payne on report for swinging arm. Not much in it.

Anyone starting to think fletcher baker won't make the 17? How does he pip willison, Jensen or even tekura and Marty. Jesus we have some good front rowers

Any update on Hetherington?

So we could be without Hetherington and Piakura for round 1.

Well let's say that Piakura and Hetherington are out, that really screws up the pack and rotations. We'd need to get a bit creative.

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Hunt
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy
15. Willison
16. Taupau
17. Baker/Patston

Anyone starting to think fletcher baker won't make the 17? How does he pip willison, Jensen or even tekura and Marty. Jesus we have some good front rowers
For me Marty and Willison have snagged those bench spots for round one.
Marty wasn't really on my radar for round 1 but was impressive today I thought.
If there is doubt over Piakura maybe having Hunt on the bench would be the option.
Rewarding guys that were there last year with a trip to vegas in Marty and Willison would be good.

I don't think he couldn't improve those above players, more that they were at the level they are. Dearden needed a change, seibold days scarred him, milf was milf by then, Turpin was Turpin, brenko couldn't even crack the dolphins side, and capewell stayed about the same, it's just that the good outweighed the bad....

Staggs' defence has become 100x better. He isn't as explosive in attack but I think it's bcos he puts more energy into aggressive defence. I'd prefer that tbh..

I don't think he couldn't improve those above players, more that they were at the level they are. Dearden needed a change, seibold days scarred him, milf was milf by then, Turpin was Turpin, brenko couldn't even crack the dolphins side, and capewell stayed about the same, it's just that the good outweighed the bad....

Staggs' defence has become 100x better. He isn't as explosive in attack but I think it's bcos he puts more energy into aggressive defence. I'd prefer that tbh..
Dearden was thrown into first grade way too early by Siebold... From memory Kevvie went with Croft first in 2021 and may have been wanting Dearden to sit in Qcup and develop... same as he wanted with Reece before he jumped ship early.

I hope the younger players in out path ways start to see Kevvie is helping them by not just throwing them into the team.
Nah they wanna be thrown in early so they can get churned out and end up at a struggling club with a fat contract.

Dearden was thrown into first grade way too early by Siebold... From memory Kevvie went with Croft first in 2021 and may have been wanting Dearden to sit in Qcup and develop... same as he wanted with Reece before he jumped ship early.
In fairness to Seibold, Dearden had already been promoted to the NRL squad under Bennett.

It was a really strange inclusion as well. It was the end of 2018 and every NRL side had named their 24 man squad, except for the Broncos who only announced 23. It led to some confusion until other sections of the media had leaked Dearden's inclusion.

The alleged reason why Dearden was removed from the official list was that he was still under 18 and couldn't officially be recognised as a member of the squad. Then as soon as March rolled around and he celebrated his birthday he popped up on the roster.

Outside of his age, the other reason why it was less than ideal is because Tom had spent a chunk of the pre-season in the UK on tour with the schoolboys side and his transition into the NRL squad had to be delicately handled.

Then to make situation more perculiar, he inherited a squad without an NRL halfback. Then again, Melbourne seemed to manage without one.

In fairness to Seibold, Dearden had already been promoted to the NRL squad under Bennett.

It was a really strange inclusion as well. It was the end of 2018 and every NRL side had named their 24 man squad, except for the Broncos who only announced 23. It led to some confusion until other sections of the media had leaked Dearden's inclusion.

The alleged reason why Dearden was removed from the official list was that he was still under 18 and couldn't officially be recognised as a member of the squad. Then as soon as March rolled around and he celebrated his birthday he popped up on the roster.

Outside of his age, the other reason why it was less than ideal is because Tom had spent a chunk of the pre-season in the UK on tour with the schoolboys side and his transition into the NRL squad had to be delicately handled.

Then to make situation more perculiar, he inherited a squad without an NRL halfback. Then again, Melbourne seemed to manage without one.

Yeah but Melbourne had a coach with a clue, big difference.

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Manofoneway
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • TimWhatley
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Jedhead
  • Lostboy
  • Painin the Haas
  • Locky24
  • Harry Sack
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.