2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

I think Jensen has earned the starting spot. But I’d still start with probably Baker. Because I think Jensen/Xavier is a much better balance off the bench.

Having Baker and Xavier come on at the same time lacks a lot of experience in the middle.
That's a good point.. I think Willison will be a real point of difference off the bench, but might be a big ask for him to be a leader off there.

He'll have Kobe as well, but a bench rotation of Jensen, Kobe and Willison could be a serious game changer throughout the year.

Just rewatched the grand final. The pain is still there, but atleast now it’s kind of moulded into motivation and feelings of revenge.

I hope the boys are feeling the same. I really think this year we go one better and take what should have been ours..

Walters:

“Corey Jensen has been rewarded for the work he has done in pre-season. His body shape is great and he can transfer that into some great footy. We’re still up in the air on finalising the top 17, we’ll see how we go in the trials, but Corey has the inside running for that position. There’s still a few guys we are talking about and discussing for a number of positions. That’s why it’s important these guys do well in the trials.”​

“I don’t think that (Patty and Reyno being suspended) was ever in jeopardy, but it’s good news for them. They now get an opportunity to blow some cobwebs out up there against the Cowboys and then we will head over to Vegas for round one which is great news for us. We’re a really tight group as it is. These sorts of things can go two ways, but I feel we’re a really tight group of young men and they want to get out now and play some footy.”​
“Everyone will get some game time from 20 minutes to 40 minutes. I feel their first stint is all they will get and they have to make the most of that. It’s only a trial game but it’s really important for us to start with our basics and build into the season for round one. I want us to get something out of this game, rather than just playing a trial.”​

Great to hear Kevvie also take about a real focus on removing unforced errors from Walsh and everyone else too.

So I’m a rew rums and other currricular activities deep and I saw a picture of Fletcher Baker and my mind wandered and I thought that he is potentially our most important signing in so long.

What I mean by this, is if he shines this year, we suddenly become a club where players get better at again and it solidifies our future seasons.

Does this make sense? It does to me.

So I’m a rew rums and other currricular activities deep and I saw a picture of Fletcher Baker and my mind wandered and I thought that he is potentially our most important signing in so long.

What I mean by this, is if he shines this year, we suddenly become a club where players get better at again and it solidifies our future seasons.

I wish a rew runs and other curricular activities gave me this kind of clarity.

I think baker will like playing with hass and carrigan, and the broncos structure. Watching the roosters, he looked like he preferred to run wider of the ruck and was a good support runner.

The broncos forwards often take hit ups with a forward supporting the other for short passes. Carrigan and hass have been pretty effective with this, and I could see baker benefiting .

I wonder if Baker is earmarked for that -7 jersey role that is a hybrid middle/second rower. He should be very good at it.

Exactly right both of you. Baker is an astute signing in that he is a decent player, good potential, a big body and complimentary to our styles and forward pack. He has good support play as you said very beneficial if you run off Pat or Payne’s hip something Tom made a kangaroos side off. He has a knack of getting a quick play of the ball as well. Not really much of an offload the odd one here or there. I agree he does like to run wider of the ruck that seems to be where he is comfortable but he just doesn’t have the body shape to play second row consistently so he has found himself in the middle.

If he can play some good footy here he will really join Jensen and Taupau as players to excel at the bronx (I’d add Walsh but he doesn’t really count). Opens us up to heaps of players who will be jumping at the bit and for unders to get here.

I wonder if Baker is earmarked for that -7 jersey role that is a hybrid middle/second rower. He should be very good at it.
I assume he will be the back up second rower but I don’t think his role will be accounting for a stint in the second row that will more be an injury replacement situation rather than tactical. Not a fan of non-80 minute second rowers. You play 80 or you don’t start barring injury or exceptional tactical reasons but we don’t have any back up second rowers that would make you tactically bench Riki or Piakura for Baker or Willison.

I think baker who is already 3/4 way there to being a top 1st grader.

I think if we turn jaiyden hunt into something it will be a bit more of a landmark moment. And I do see it happening. He isn't getting talked about as an option here but he gives a great 10-20 mins spell in the middle (all we need with all the 60+ min middles we have) and can cover 2nd row more easily then baker. Could play 10+ games this year as 2nd row cover with a good side around him if he's 1st drop for both of them (looks like it) think he will surprise us all, including me.

I know this sounds crazy but I think 2022 was our year where we announced ourselves as a club you will improve at. Hosking, TMM, Jensen, hoeter... these were scrapheap or squad players at other clubs. In hindsight, it definitely indicated how good a coach Walters is actually. And how good our recruitment and retention had become. I get the feeling one of baker or hunt will show this again.

Exactly right both of you. Baker is an astute signing in that he is a decent player, good potential, a big body and complimentary to our styles and forward pack. He has good support play as you said very beneficial if you run off Pat or Payne’s hip something Tom made a kangaroos side off. He has a knack of getting a quick play of the ball as well. Not really much of an offload the odd one here or there. I agree he does like to run wider of the ruck that seems to be where he is comfortable but he just doesn’t have the body shape to play second row consistently so he has found himself in the middle.

If he can play some good footy here he will really join Jensen and Taupau as players to excel at the bronx (I’d add Walsh but he doesn’t really count). Opens us up to heaps of players who will be jumping at the bit and for unders to get here.
I remember in 2022 there was times Rhys Kennedy would come on late with quick ptbs and we would really open teams up, I expect Baker to play a similar role but to greater effect with Walsh, a more experienced Mam and smarter 9s.

I think baker who is already 3/4 way there to being a top 1st grader.

I think if we turn jaiyden hunt into something it will be a bit more of a landmark moment. And I do see it happening. He isn't getting talked about as an option here but he gives a great 10-20 mins spell in the middle (all we need with all the 60+ min middles we have) and can cover 2nd row more easily then baker. Could play 10+ games this year as 2nd row cover with a good side around him if he's 1st drop for both of them (looks like it) think he will surprise us all, including me.

I know this sounds crazy but I think 2022 was our year where we announced ourselves as a club you will improve at. Hosking, TMM, Jensen, hoeter... these were scrapheap or squad players at other clubs. In hindsight, it definitely indicated how good a coach Walters is actually. And how good our recruitment and retention had become. I get the feeling one of baker or hunt will show this again.
Exactly right. One could argue no player hasn’t improved under Kev except maybe like Paix but I’d say he has been surpassed more so than regressed.

Karapini opted for a one week suspension, rather than a fine.

ScreenScreenshot 2024 02 18 at 10 21 11 NRL Judiciary Report Sipley facing ban for crusher tac

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Allo
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • TimWhatley
  • Porthoz
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • broncsgoat
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Browny
  • Cavalo
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Broncorob
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.