2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

We go backwards, 100%
when you think back to our 2015 team, most of the players were at their peak.
hodges, boyd, hunt, parker, blair, thaiday, gillet, milford, jack reed... who else was there.. they were at the absolute peak of their powers to make that 2015 gf. it kind of now makes sense why we didn't recover from that gf loss.

is our current squad at it's peak? i don't think so. I think our current culture and squad will actually be hungrier to go again.

The question marks over the squad are:

1. Can Mam and Walsh make another big jump with another year of experience?

2. Will Reynolds start to decline at 34?

These 2 are the biggest questions.

3. Can Cobbo and Staggs go up level and make up for what the team loses with Farnworth? Can they make strong runs out of the red zone to get the set off to a good start?

4. Can another front rower stand up the way Flegler had at the back end of the year?

If it's a yes to all four of these, I think they can go one better.
Pretty much my exact thoughts for 2024. Looking forward to it

hodges, boyd, hunt, parker, blair, thaiday, gillet, milford, jack reed... who else was there.. they were at the absolute peak of their powers to make that 2015 gf. it kind of now makes sense why we didn't recover from that gf loss.

is our current squad at it's peak? i don't think so. I think our current culture and squad will actually be hungrier to go again.
I actually think it is at its peak, as far as the guy guiding us around the park .

I actually think it is at its peak, as far as the guy guiding us around the park .
He might drop a few ticks but other guys will elevate like mam and walsh. I think Reynolds will appreciate the reception the team will receive upon return to Brisbane. Unlike south’s who turned on him. He’ll be up for another crack

Reynolds does a good job for us, at times amazing. Tonight though he was comprehensively outplayed by his opposite, which is hard to cop.

We're going to need another halfback very soon.

But yes 3/4 of our spine will improve. They just have to be priority re-signings or else the whole thing falls apart.

Fuckin oath we do. Pretty clear he's not the best big game player going, at least the coaching staff will be able to work with him on that now.
How many more years?

Depends when they pull their finger out and deliver us a junior half back.

2 years at least.
Isn’t Sam walker off contract end of 2025? In a perfect world..

2 years at least.

There are options around that we need to seriously consider (in no particular order):
1. Madden (He is at the club and has shown promise, watch him in reserve grade closely next year)
2. Lam (my preference as I think he is the type of halfback that would compliment our style of play - has a big kick on him and likes to hand it off to other playmakers)
3. Trindall (He has lifted the Sharks since getting the six role and has a decent kick which honestly is all we really need at 7 with all the weapons we have)
4. Gamble (He makes any team he is in better and is extremely underrated AND can defend plus has history with us and I think would compliment Mam and Walsh well)
5. Schneider (I have liked the look of him for a long time but is more of a runner than playmaker and that is my only concern, I think him going to the Panthers and not spending one more year in the ESL is a mistake to be honest)
6. Walker (He would be perfect for our side, can you imagine what he would be like with his passing and the electricness of Mam and Walsh? Problem is, he'd cost a fortune to get out of the Roosters and I don't think we could afford him)
7. Black (We have him and I am sure he is earmarked for the future 7 role BUT he is too young and obviously nowhere near ready and won't be for a few years, we need at least a stop gap in the interim)
8. Weaver (Would love to get him to be honest, would absolutely love it but I don't see the Titans letting him go)
9. Boyd (Is serviceable and could do a job and at some point, one of the Titans' halves will need to be let go / lost and while I'd prefer Weaver, I could see Boyd doing really well with the weapons he'd have in our side)
10. Dodd (St Helens halfback who I also think would do well in our system but has a bit of an injury history and this is sort of just here to make 10 choices)

2 years at least.
Don't see us having much choice but to continue with him and blood a youngster: we won't be able to afford anyone who's top of their game.

Isn’t Sam walker off contract end of 2025? In a perfect world..
I think that ship might've sailed. Plus, he won't be cheap.

There are options around that we need to seriously consider (in no particular order):
1. Madden (He is at the club and has shown promise, watch him in reserve grade closely next year)
2. Lam (my preference as I think he is the type of halfback that would compliment our style of play - has a big kick on him and likes to hand it off to other playmakers)
3. Trindall (He has lifted the Sharks since getting the six role and has a decent kick which honestly is all we really need at 7 with all the weapons we have)
4. Gamble (He makes any team he is in better and is extremely underrated AND can defend plus has history with us and I think would compliment Mam and Walsh well)
5. Schneider (I have liked the look of him for a long time but is more of a runner than playmaker and that is my only concern, I think him going to the Panthers and not spending one more year in the ESL is a mistake to be honest)
6. Walker (He would be perfect for our side, can you imagine what he would be like with his passing and the electricness of Mam and Walsh? Problem is, he'd cost a fortune to get out of the Roosters and I don't think we could afford him)
7. Black (We have him and I am sure he is earmarked for the future 7 role BUT he is too young and obviously nowhere near ready and won't be for a few years, we need at least a stop gap in the interim)
8. Weaver (Would love to get him to be honest, would absolutely love it but I don't see the Titans letting him go)
9. Boyd (Is serviceable and could do a job and at some point, one of the Titans' halves will need to be let go / lost and while I'd prefer Weaver, I could see Boyd doing really well with the weapons he'd have in our side)
10. Dodd (St Helens halfback who I also think would do well in our system but has a bit of an injury history and this is sort of just here to make 10 choices)

I can't comment on a lot of these players. But I see something creeping into BHQ that we haven't seen since the Locky days.

5/8 and Halfback are not the same position, and they shouldn't be looked at as some interchangeable number. They play different roles in a team, and bring unique skillsets to each role. Moving people between them is a change to the smooth development for what is an exceptionally important role in a team.

If we need a halfback. Anyone who regularly wears a 6 on their back, need not apply. We need a halfback, an actual halfback, and I am so fucking sick of this club fucking that single task up for the past 30 years. Reynolds has been a god send, because we bought a real halfback, not someone else who "he'll be right there".

Can't get excited about any of these. Reynolds is a generational halfback whose only fault is his legs are getting old and for whatever reason, we don't often see his A game.

They will need to make some hard decisions on Madden, the sooner the better. Right now, he's looking like he might need to be cut loose, along with Paix. I reckon they're both first grade standard, but maybe not for us given our aspirations.

Can't get excited about any of these. Reynolds is a generational halfback whose only fault is his legs are getting old and for whatever reason, we don't often see his A game.

They will need to make some hard decisions on Madden, the sooner the better. Right now, he's looking like he might need to be cut loose, along with Paix. I reckon they're both first grade standard, but maybe not for us given our aspirations.

Both of these players are shaping up to be BHQ specials. No idea what Paix has done to get his name mentioned so often on here.

I can't comment on a lot of these players. But I see something creeping into BHQ that we haven't seen since the Locky days.

5/8 and Halfback are not the same position, and they shouldn't be looked at as some interchangeable number. They play different roles in a team, and bring unique skillsets to each role. Moving people between them is a change to the smooth development for what is an exceptionally important role in a team.

If we need a halfback. Anyone who regularly wears a 6 on their back, need not apply. We need a halfback, an actual halfback, and I am so fucking sick of this club fucking that single task up for the past 30 years. Reynolds has been a god send, because we bought a real halfback, not someone else who "he'll be right there".
Same with a repurposed fullback, namely Walsh. That's one position that's not broken, and only going to get better. We should leave it the **** alone. Same with our current 6.

At the risk (bring it on) of re-igniting another flame war, that's why 9 is going to be so important: we might have an undercooked 7 learning on the job who needs the direction. Despite all the adulation for Billy, I don't see him as that, and Mozer's testicles are still yet to drop.

Both of these players are shaping up to be BHQ specials. No idea what Paix has done to get his name mentioned so often on here.
Paix has played 44 games for us. Might explain why you recognize his surname.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Swordfish
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Battler
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • Rambstien
  • Midean
  • Morkel
  • Manofoneway
  • Financeguy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Alec
  • Galah
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.