2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kevvie:

We will come back from this. This won’t break us - our time will come. The soul is back in the club and I will make sure we continue our great work. We started something two years ago and we aren’t there yet, but we are closer than what we were three years ago and that’s the thing I can take out of this. I am proud of everyone in the club, so now we have to keep working hard and maintain where we are. We are a big club, a great club with good players and we need to keep going. It would have been great to win the premiership certainly, but even if we won, the finished product isn’t there. We have a lot more to achieve.”​

Kurt Capewell:

“We will be back here in 12 months, trust me, quote me on that. It’s heartbreaking for sure. I’m shattered. No matter how you lose a grand final it’s going to hurt, but the extra salt to the wound is the lead we had. To be up by 16 and blow it, it’s hard to deal with. But we will be back here in 12 months and we will win it next year.”​

Lockyer:

“To lose a grand final makes you more hungry to win one. Flegler and Farnworth are a big loss. They were enormous all season, but the youth is there. While Adam Reynolds is still wearing the seven jumper, I think there is a premiership window for us.”​

Webke:

“They will come back stronger from this. Kevin has got us back to the club we used to be. We are not a club that is going to fold and when you look at this roster, they will be 12 months wiser and better next season. Guys like Ezra Mam, Reece Walsh and Payne Haas will come back better players. Kevin has done an outstanding job rebuilding this club. Three years ago we were wooden spooners and we’re now in a grand final. I have no doubt this team can play in the grand final next season and win a premiership very soon. You look at Penrith and that scenario can be the Broncos in the coming seasons. This team is only just getting started and while this is a kick in the guts, these men have the mental fortitude to bounce back.”​

Bish

Bish

QCup Player
May 11, 2023
Kevvie:

We will come back from this. This won’t break us - our time will come. The soul is back in the club and I will make sure we continue our great work. We started something two years ago and we aren’t there yet, but we are closer than what we were three years ago and that’s the thing I can take out of this. I am proud of everyone in the club, so now we have to keep working hard and maintain where we are. We are a big club, a great club with good players and we need to keep going. It would have been great to win the premiership certainly, but even if we won, the finished product isn’t there. We have a lot more to achieve.”​

Kurt Capewell:

“We will be back here in 12 months, trust me, quote me on that. It’s heartbreaking for sure. I’m shattered. No matter how you lose a grand final it’s going to hurt, but the extra salt to the wound is the lead we had. To be up by 16 and blow it, it’s hard to deal with. But we will be back here in 12 months and we will win it next year.”​

Lockyer:

“To lose a grand final makes you more hungry to win one. Flegler and Farnworth are a big loss. They were enormous all season, but the youth is there. While Adam Reynolds is still wearing the seven jumper, I think there is a premiership window for us.”​

Webke:

“They will come back stronger from this. Kevin has got us back to the club we used to be. We are not a club that is going to fold and when you look at this roster, they will be 12 months wiser and better next season. Guys like Ezra Mam, Reece Walsh and Payne Haas will come back better players. Kevin has done an outstanding job rebuilding this club. Three years ago we were wooden spooners and we’re now in a grand final. I have no doubt this team can play in the grand final next season and win a premiership very soon. You look at Penrith and that scenario can be the Broncos in the coming seasons. This team is only just getting started and while this is a kick in the guts, these men have the mental fortitude to bounce back.”​
Beautiful. If you don’t feel hope in those quotes you won’t see hope anywhere.

Bring on next season motherfuckerrrrrrrrsssss

4755EA10 F648 4FCA B00D 06BD2DA4C7AB

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
2015 heartbreak......

2023 up by 16 points with 20 mins to go.

Its hard to take.........

I'm going have to meditate medicate on this

for quite some time.

Vintage 80S GIF

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I watched the last 10 minutes again. Man there were so many opportunities to hold on. If Walsh grounds the ball before getting pushed in touch instead of just laying on his back. If Reynolds kicks deep on either his clearing kick or drop out. If someone actually tried to attack the ball when Cleary kicked instead of 5 broncos standing flat footed watching it come down. If Staggs comes down in the field of play after Crichton kicks. If Walsh and Riki paid attention to Cleary being on the left and Walsh not just standing still when he realises the ball is going the other way.

Could torture yourself playing this type of thought exercise all day. It all just comes down to we were entirely exhausted

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I watched the last 10 minutes again. Man there were so many opportunities to hold on. If Walsh grounds the ball before getting pushed in touch instead of just laying in his back. If Reynolds kicks deep on either his clearing kick or drop out. If someone actually tried to attack the ball when Cleary kicked instead of 5 broncos standing flat footed watching it come down. If Staggs stays comes down in the field of play after Crichton kicks. If Walsh and Riki paid attention to Cleary being on their left and Walsh not just standing still when he realises the ball is going the other way.

Could torture yourself playing this type of thought exercise all day. It all just comes down to we were entirely exhausted
I think there was also a tackle that piakura attempted to complete on his own only for the panthers to offload it. No other broncos came to help and the panthers marched down field off a nothing play. But walsh absolutely shit the bed in the last 10-15 minutes.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I think there was also a tackle that piakura attempted to complete only for the panthers to offload it. No other broncos came to help and the panthers marched down field. But walsh absolutely shit the bed in the last 10-15 minutes.
I didn’t want to single anyone out but Walsh had some really poor moments. Not his errors or overplaying his hand - you cop that as a tax on the amazing things he does. But he had a lot of moments that someone could be forgiven for describing as lazy. May have been fatigue but some happened quite early on - maybe it was due to that knock to his knee

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I didn’t want to single anyone out but Walsh had some really poor moments. Not his errors or overplaying his hand - you cop that as a tax on the amazing things he does. But he had a lot of moments that someone could be forgiven for describing as lazy. May have been fatigue but some happened quite early on - maybe it was due to that knock to his knee
He definitely has to work on his cover defence over the pre season. Even the Crichton try we had him well covered. Walsh flies in and has a bit of an air swing. Cobbo had a good chunk of Crichton too. Their last 3 tries were nothing flashy, just our cover defence let us down. An area that was so strong through the year.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
He definitely has to work on his cover defence over the pre season. Even the Crichton try we had him well covered. Walsh flies in and has a bit of an air swing. Cobbo had a good chunk of Crichton too. Their last 3 tries were nothing flashy, just our cover defence let us down. An area that was so strong through the year.

Yeah, bit of a killer to think about but they really did score a gift and then three fairly soft tries, plus a penalty that was off a pretty ordinary unforced error.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Is it too early for team lists? I do think by the end of next year it will be fairly different though....

1. Walsh
2. Arthurs
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Oates (to right wing, end of year mariner if speed off the mark doesnt improve)
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen (end of year willison)
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Capewell (maybe piakura by end of year, although he didn't kick on after those first few breakout games)
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy (MAYBE mozer by the end of the year but smoothy has been great)
15. Piakua (see above)
16. Hethrington (although as hrwat as he has been, when you have a 2nd rower and a hooker on the bench keeping the momentum going relies too heavily on the 1 big bopper we will have on, love hethrington but he will need to put some size on and sacrifice minutes or he or piakura might be 19th men)
17. Baker (tapau first drop, willison by mid-way at latest, jensen at end of year)
18. Mariner (I get people are chucking him straight in but he's only played like 5 nrl games. The season is 24+ games. He will naturally get his shot through injury and still play 10-15 games like arthurs (who played 20+ this year even)

Writing that team list makes me realise we have to drop a 2nd rower, or even hethrington if he doesn't put some size on unfortunately, by the end of the year. Yes we will get by a normal season with our current rotation but we play our best footy on the back of momentum.
We need big guys to keep the momentum going when haas and carrigan are off. 1 of Willison, jensen, tapau and baker will mean a noticeable drop in momentum. 2 will stand a chance to keep it going.

Mum-the-meatloaf

Mum-the-meatloaf

QCup Player
Dec 6, 2019
Well...I need to do a list. Is this a chance of going one better next year?

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Baker/Willison/Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy/Mozer
15. Hetherington
16. Willison/Jensen/Baker
17. Piakura/Te Kura
Although Flegs and Herbie are great players. There is still a very good side there. Biggest challenge is another year in Areys legs.

B

Bronx48

QCup Player
Jul 24, 2023
Possibly... but our preseason is going to be royally fucked.

A bunch of our players will be playing internationals in a couple weeks time, then they'll be shipped off to Vegas to stroke Vlando's ego.

At some point they need their 6 weeks off or whatever it is... so when are we meant to actually do our preseason this year.

If the players dont keep themselves fit over the offseason then we could be coming into the season well underdone fitness wise
Hope some of the boys don’t play international footy and have a rest. They need it. They played World Cup already last year, origin for some of them and going through this GF, I think they should have this time off

Mum-the-meatloaf

Mum-the-meatloaf

QCup Player
Dec 6, 2019
I think that knock hurt him

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
With Vegas on the horizon and us finishing the season so late, I'm concerned about when we will actually be able to get a preseason into these guys... how many of our squad are also likely to be playing internationals as well?

1. Walsh - Aust squad for sure I'd say...
2. Arthars - Might find himself in the Kiwi squad after his back end to the year... may not get many games
3. Cobbo - Aust squad and might find himself as the starting winger
4. Staggs - Aust squad as well... if not then Tongan squad... are they playing any internationals this year?
5. Mariner - Assume he won't make a squad, but might make Tonga or Samoa if he's eligible
6. Ezra - Should be in the Aust squad, but may not get many games
7. Reynolds - Assume he won't get picked for Aust squad
8. Jensen, etc. - Won't be making the squads
9. Billy - Won't be making any squads
10. Haas - Aust squad
11. Capewell - Won't make any squads
12. Riki - Should make the Kiwi squad...
13. Carrigan - Aust squad for sure... might get a starting gig, but definitely bench regular

Anyone else a chance?

Piakura and Willison played for Cook Islands, but not sure they're playing this year.
Marty might make it into the Samoan squad, but they're pretty stacked so maybe not

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
With Vegas on the horizon and us finishing the season so late, I'm concerned about when we will actually be able to get a preseason into these guys... how many of our squad are also likely to be playing internationals as well?

1. Walsh - Aust squad for sure I'd say...
2. Arthars - Might find himself in the Kiwi squad after his back end to the year... may not get many games
3. Cobbo - Aust squad and might find himself as the starting winger
4. Staggs - Aust squad as well... if not then Tongan squad... are they playing any internationals this year?
5. Mariner - Assume he won't make a squad, but might make Tonga or Samoa if he's eligible
6. Ezra - Should be in the Aust squad, but may not get many games
7. Reynolds - Assume he won't get picked for Aust squad
8. Jensen, etc. - Won't be making the squads
9. Billy - Won't be making any squads
10. Haas - Aust squad
11. Capewell - Won't make any squads
12. Riki - Should make the Kiwi squad...
13. Carrigan - Aust squad for sure... might get a starting gig, but definitely bench regular

Anyone else a chance?

Piakura and Willison played for Cook Islands, but not sure they're playing this year.
Maty might make it into the Samoan squad, but they're pretty stacked so maybe not
It's only a 20 man aust squad this year. Cobbo, staggs, mam won't make it but I'd cobbo or mam do they'll be back up and it'll be great experience for them.

We actually will not have many at all.

Carrigan and haas are definites, riki for nz aswell highly likely. Staggs will play for Tonga, won't get near aust squad I'd say. Willison won't play bcos of injury, piakura is still in a more footy the better stage of his career given his injuries and limited minutes in the nrl. So 3-5. That's unreal compared to the other top teams. Panthers will have about 10 or 11. The Vegas trip could be what we need actually. If we finished 3rd or 4th I think it'd get in the way but if Walters uses it the right way it could completely rejuvenate and galvanise the squad

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It's only a 20 man aust squad this year. Cobbo, staggs, mam won't make it but I'd cobbo or mam do they'll be back up and it'll be great experience for them.

We actually will not have many at all.

Carrigan and haas are definites, riki for nz aswell highly likely. Staggs will play for Tonga, won't get near aust squad I'd say. Willison won't play bcos of injury, piakura is still in a more footy the better stage of his career given his injuries and limited minutes in the nrl. So 3-5. That's unreal compared to the other top teams. Panthers will have about 10 or 11. The Vegas trip could be what we need actually. If we finished 3rd or 4th I think it'd get in the way but if Walters uses it the right way it could completely rejuvenate and galvanise the squad

It will be interesting because Cobbo and To'o should be the wings but To'o will most probably represent Samoa. Mam should be back up to Munster but if it is 20, he probably misses out unfortunately. I actually think Walsh will miss out too.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
It will be interesting because Cobbo and To'o should be the wings but To'o will most probably represent Samoa. Mam should be back up to Munster but if it is 20, he probably misses out unfortunately. I actually think Walsh will miss out too.
Happy for them to miss out. Mam’s had a big year and walsh definitely needs a break.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
As others are saying, preseason will certainly take a hit this year. + internationals and to top it off, Vegas. Completely and utterly pointless however let’s not forget the Broncos wanted to attend. Hopefully some boys decide not to do the internationals but I’m doubtful.
I wouldn’t be rushing to extend Reyno. Let’s see how the first 1/4 of next year goes and see how his body holds up.
Certainly need to be making some big decisions for our next long term 7. I’m not convinced he will be up to it in 2025. And if we go after a younger half coming through the next couple of years will take a hit.
Walker is probably the one we should be trying to target. Whether it’s possible or not, I’m not sure.

Unread

Active Now

• Xzei
  • bert_lifts
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Galah
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • kiwibronco
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • DMZ
  • lynx000
  • Ondi
  • sooticus
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Culhwch
  • Stix
  • johnyE
  • Wolfie
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.