2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Was reading about Billy getting another deal - so we extended Paix, Smoothy, Billy and still haven't really given Mozer a run. Oh dear. What am I missing here...

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Anyone got a decent summary of today’s trial for me?
Mariner had an Isaako, Niu, Cobbo love child game with a few good runs that were finished off by dreadful moments. Karapani wasn’t far off it I think cause of how well he moves he got bigger wraps than he deserved he was equally shit as well. Toia and EQW were pretty shit as well. Leota was alright nothing special, didn’t have to much game time. Trew is 17 and massive but didn’t really do much at all except finish untouched on one try. Sailor carried the backs but still was a bit rocks and diamonds as he can tend to be.

Kurt Falls sucked ass for us but did decently for Wynnum. Black was fucken awesome for a 17 year old whilst Rogers was quiet till the last 3rd where no coincidence we started to gain ascendancy.

Willison was best middle by a mile. Te Kura, Ferguson and Saitua (both teams) were pretty good as well. Hunt and Patson played well off the bench at second row.

Mozer did alright nothing special nothing bad, nice solid game where he did his job without standing out exceptionally. Bukowski was decent for his current development stage but years off being an option for us.

Ball handling was fucken DREADFUL. That’s about all you need to know you didn’t miss much. We played pretty shit for 85% of that game.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Mariner had an Isaako, Niu, Cobbo love child game with a few good runs that were finished off by dreadful moments. Karapani wasn’t far off it I think cause of how well he moves he got bigger wraps than he deserved he was equally shit as well. Toia and EQW were pretty shit as well. Leota was alright nothing special, didn’t have to much game time. Trew is 17 and massive but didn’t really do much at all except finish untouched on one try. Sailor carried the backs but still was a bit rocks and diamonds as he can tend to be.

Kurt Falls sucked ass for us but did decently for Wynnum. Black was fucken awesome for a 17 year old whilst Rogers was quiet till the last 3rd where no coincidence we started to gain ascendancy.

Willison was best middle by a mile. Te Kura, Ferguson and Saitua (both teams) were pretty good as well. Hunt and Patson played well off the bench at second row.

Mozer did alright nothing special nothing bad, nice solid game where he did his job without standing out exceptionally. Bukowski was decent for his current development stage but years off being an option for us.

Ball handling was fucken DREADFUL. That’s about all you need to know you didn’t miss much. We played pretty shit for 85% of that game.

Are you trying out a new, calmer version of yourself this season? If so, I like it.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

Thanks! I feel like I don’t need to try and watch it now.

Sounds like a pretty standard first trial. Cook to hear Black played well. I have t seen too much of him tbh

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Wait, does this mean Paix now has Smoothy, Sailor and Mozer in front of him?

Kevvie:

"Tristan was the difference between both teams. He is a classy player. There's different ways you can bring him into the NRL squad. We have spoken about that with Tristan. I think that utility role from the bench could be an option. Tristan covers a lot of positions. He can play anywhere really, he did himself plenty of favours today."​

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

Kevvie:

"Tristan was the difference between both teams. He is a classy player. There's different ways you can bring him into the NRL squad. We have spoken about that with Tristan. I think that utility role from the bench could be an option. Tristan covers a lot of positions. He can play anywhere really, he did himself plenty of favours today."​
I thought there was talk about Sailor as utility when the Leigh move died down the first time 🤔🤔

I figured it was because Kevvie was looking to give him more game time and so he was going to be happy to stay... and then the move popped up again and Broncos refused it

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I thought there was talk about Sailor as utility when the Leigh move died down the first time 🤔🤔

I figured it was because Kevvie was looking to give him more game time and so he was going to be happy to stay... and then the move popped up again and Broncos refused it
it's an uncomfortable one for Kevvie. The showdown is his son vs Wendell's son. Not immediately, but ultimately.

The future, according to all received wisdom, is inevitably Mozer at 9, Billy at 14. That's fine, based on his Grand Final performance, Billy has earned his place and Mozer has been a long train coming. But, there's no denying the prospect of Tristan bringing electricity off the bench with 20 to go, is pretty damn alluring. He can also cover an outside back in case of injury. Which makes him more useful than Billy as utility. The only question is his defence, which in my eyes, isn't quite the standard of what we have now. But neither was Billy's a year ago.

So where does that leave Billy?

To be honest, I suspect Kevvie was just humouring Tristan. Giving him hope. Keeping him motivated.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
it's an uncomfortable one for Kevvie. The showdown is his son vs Wendell's son. Not immediately, but ultimately.

The future, according to all received wisdom, is inevitably Mozer at 9, Billy at 14. That's fine, based on his Grand Final performance, Billy has earned his place and Mozer has been a long train coming. But, there's no denying the prospect of Tristan bringing electricity off the bench with 20 to go, is pretty damn alluring. He can also cover an outside back in case of injury. Which makes him more useful than Billy as utility. The only question is his defence, which in my eyes, isn't quite the standard of what we have now. But neither was Billy's a year ago.

So where does that leave Billy?

To be honest, I suspect Kevvie was just humouring Tristan. Giving him hope. Keeping him motivated.
Mozer still has a ways to go and it wouldnt be shocking for him not to be ready for full time FG until around the time of the end of or close to walters next contract,would be nice if we had a proper 80 min hooker sailor wouldnt be a bad option at 14 if that were the case.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Mozer still has a ways to go and it wouldnt be shocking for him not to be ready for full time FG until around the time of the end of or close to walters next contract,would be nice if we had a proper 80 min hooker sailor wouldnt be a bad option at 14 if that were the case.
I expect Billy will have his contract extended by two years until the end of 2026. That's three more years. Mozer is contracted until end of 2025.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

Kevvie:

Guess that could answer your “no backs on the bench” dilemma

14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Baker
17. Sailor

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I like the idea of a back on the bench. Not sure how it works in practice if no injuries in game as Sailor is pretty small comparatively but he could carve up against tired defenders.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • Stix
  • johnny plath
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bronx48
  • Big Del
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ondi
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.