2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Badel has posted a video recap of the game. His main takeaways: Mozer isn't ready for NRL, and Tristan Sailor is in the running for a "supersub" role in Round One.

Not sure I agree with either. Mozer is the victim of too much hype, and it's not his fault. He's ready for NRL, but there's no vacancy at hooker. Tristan was best in show, but realistically, Tristan won't be on the bench.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
His biggest crime might be believing his own press. I'd be sending him back to reserve grade for a big cup of humility.
If players had a pre-requisite of humility to be able to play NRL I’m pretty sure we would be fucked. Preaching humility and acting with it is to different things. Most players think there shit should be served as a main meal in a Michelin star restaurant.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kevin Walters:

“It was very important to keep Tristan at our club. Even if Reece is playing fullback ... if Tristan keeps developing like this, he will force himself into the side somewhere.”​

Sailor:

“The option was definitely there to go to Super League. I’ve seen people with the same attributes as me really go well in that game in England, so it was an option, but I have a contract with the Broncos. I hope to crack that 17 somehow. I just have to keep working hard and see where I can fit in."​
"I would definitely love to play that super-sub role. With the game being as fast as it is, the utility role is becoming pretty big. That’s why I am pushing myself to play a few positions, so I’m comfortable across them all. I want to solidify my defence in case I have to go into the middle. Being in the 17, no matter where it is, is my goal for sure. Personally, today wasn’t too bad. I had a few try involvements, but I had a few errors too, so I’m looking to fix those up before round one.”​
“Being under ‘Kevvie’, I feel like I can express myself, it’s been good for my confidence. Kev really puts that into the boys, to be yourself and that’s why you see guys like ‘Walshy’ and Ezra go so well, they are just themselves, there is no restraints on any of us which is good. I would love to play with Walshy. He is one of the best blokes you will meet. Despite being so young, he is wise for his age. He is always eager to learn and Walshy and myself are going through that learning together with ‘Reyno’ and Darius Boyd. They are the biggest mentors for us. ‘Darbs’ works with us all the time and still being current, having just retired from the game as a fullback, he imparts a lot of wisdom which has been great for us.”​

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
As tempting as it is to put sailor as a super sub I think it would be useless about 20 games a year, and could cost us more then we gain. Walters would either need to play 80 mins if sailor takes the 14 role (leading to tired line speed and defence with poorer options due to fatigue from Walters likely), or we have just 2 forwards on the bench (meaning we'd be asking more from middles, particularly if there's an injury in the forward pack -we built our game on our go forward)..

We know haas and carrigan will be top level but we would need 2 of jensen/willison/baker/tapau to really kick on (highly likely atleast 1 will but 2 is in doubt), proving they can play 40-60 quality minutes consistently it might work but I think it would have been a better option if flegler was still here with him and hethrington on the bench.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
As tempting as it is to put sailor as a super sub I think it would be useless about 20 games a year, and could cost us more then we gain. Walters would either need to play 80 mins if sailor takes the 14 role (leading to tired line speed and defence with poorer options due to fatigue from Walters likely), or we have just 2 forwards on the bench (meaning we'd be asking more from middles, particularly if there's an injury in the forward pack -we built our game on our go forward)..

We know haas and carrigan will be top level but we would need 2 of jensen/willison/baker/tapau to really kick on (highly likely atleast 1 will but 2 is in doubt), proving they can play 40-60 quality minutes consistently it might work but I think it would have been a better option if flegler was still here with him and hethrington on the bench.
Billy is never going to be an 80 minute hooker. And that isn't the direction Kevvie's looking toward. He wants his dummy halves to run more this season. That's from Billy.

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
Not sold on the “super sub” yet…. However…
The sting has gone out of the game, blokes in the middle are tired and bang, on comes Tristan from dummy half.
You have Kobe defend at hooker.
The challenge is, where do you hide Sailor in defence?!

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Not sold on the “super sub” yet…. However…
The sting has gone out of the game, blokes in the middle are tired and bang, on comes Tristan from dummy half.
You have Kobe defend at hooker.
The challenge is, where do you hide Sailor in defence?!
It doesn’t work in our setup. Sucks to be Sailor but he could just as easily be playing underwhelming footy and he has the security of a 2 year deal it’s the way things go. We will lose far more games than win them from him being on the field. He isn’t even a very threatening player in NRL he is just well rounded and highly skilled. No chance at all.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
This weekend's trial against the Cowboys will be the last hit out before Round One for the 23 players going to Vegas. It should be close to full strength, minus:

1. Reynolds. Not expected to play any trials.
2. All Stars: Staggs, Arthars, Willison.
2. Injuries. Riki in recovery until Round One. Haas and Baker should be available.
3. Withdrawals: Cobbo and Mam withdrew from Allstars. Mam, to rest a groin injury. Probably won't play. Cobbo uncertain.
4. Anyone not going to Vegas

The only certainties in the backs/spine are:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
9. Walters
14. Smoothy

Very likely:

4. Cobbo
3 or 5. Mariner
6. Sailor
7. Madden

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
This weekend's trial against the Cowboys will be the last hit out before Round One for the 23 players going to Vegas. It should be close to full strength, minus:

1. Reynolds. Not expected to play any trials.
2. All Stars: Staggs, Arthars, Willison.
2. Injuries. Riki in recovery until Round One. Haas and Baker should be available.
3. Withdrawals: Cobbo and Mam withdrew from Allstars. Mam, to rest a groin injury. Probably won't play. Cobbo uncertain.
4. Anyone not going to Vegas

The only certainties in the backs/spine are:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
9. Walters
14. Smoothy

Very likely:

4. Cobbo
3 or 5. Mariner
6. Sailor
7. Madden
1. Walsh
2. Oates
3: hoeter
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Rogers
7. Madden
8. Haas
9. Walters
10. Jensen
11. Hunt
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
Guaranteees:
14. Smoothy
15. Sailor
16. Hetherington
17. Taupau
18. Baker
19. Willison
20. Te Kura

Walsh, Haas and Carrigan with just a half/stint to get some rust out.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
1. Walsh
2. Oates
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Rogers
7. Madden
8. Haas
9. Walters
10. Jensen
11. Hunt
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
Guaranteees:
14. Smoothy
15. Sailor
16. Hetherington
17. Taupau
18. Baker
19. Willison
20. Te Kura

Willison is playing for the Maoris. I wouldn't be surprised to see Karapini and Leota get another crack, but that could wait until the second trial.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
True I did think that when I first started writing the bench I just tuned out by the end. Chuck Pereira in there as well.
Of the train and trial crew, the only one I thought was worth another look was Josh Patston. I would also rather give Coby Black another crack than Rogers. Next week's team will be literally the dregs.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
1. Walsh
2. Oates
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Rogers
7. Madden
8. Haas
9. Walters
10. Jensen
11. Hunt
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
Guaranteees:
14. Smoothy
15. Sailor
16. Hetherington
17. Taupau
18. Baker
19. Willison
20. Te Kura

I would give Sailor a run a #6 .
See how he goes tackling in the front line against 2nd rowers and centres .
He`s already in front of Rogers and testing his defence under pressure and fatigue would tell a lot about his super sub title .

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • BruiserMk1
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.