2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Has anyone managed to form an opinion on Marty? I haven't either way.

Unless he shifts up a gear this season in Flegler's absence, I suspect he might be another one of those fading stars you'll forget ever played for the Broncos.

Put it this way: who would excite you more coming off the bench with 10 to go: Marty or Oates?

Looking pretty trim though:

View attachment 25548
He played 20 games till he got suspended and missed out back end.
Not saying he had a blinder of a year; but he was smart coming off the bench when we needed some impact. He had touches, but thats all he was brought in for. He did his role well for those 20 rounds I thought. He isnt going to light it up in 2024' but he will do his role when called upon.

Hmmmmm

2023: Walsh, Ezra, Reynolds, Billy
2022: TMM/Tesi, Albert/Gamble/Ezra, Reynolds, Turps/Paix/Billy
2021: Isaako/Tesi, Milf/Gamble, Croft/Dearden/Gamble, Turps/Levi/Paix
2020: DOES NOT EXIST
2019: Boyd, Milf, Kodi/SOS/Dearden, Macca/Seggy

So probably is the most settled our spine has been since 2019, but in terms of back to back seasons, probably as far back as 2015/2016/2017 when it would've been Boyd, Milf, Bhunt, Macca locked in.

It would definitely be a first as far as Kevvie is concerned... he had a lot of churn in his initial years as he looked to find a spine that he was happy with, but also players that were worth keeping around.
Well let's hope 2024 ends up better then 2016 did.

2024 spine > 2016 spine? Maybe.

He played 20 games till he got suspended and missed out back end.
Not saying he had a blinder of a year; but he was smart coming off the bench when we needed some impact. He had touches, but thats all he was brought in for. He did his role well for those 20 rounds I thought. He isnt going to light it up in 2024' but he will do his role when called upon.
The time off without being injured will probably freshen him up a bit too. Quite a solid bench option.

To think that Taupau and Jensen struggled to stay in the team last year shows how well off we were in the middle forwards.

Unless he shifts up a gear this season in Flegler's absence, I suspect he might be another one of those fading stars you'll forget ever played for the Broncos.

Put it this way: who would excite you more coming off the bench with 10 to go: Marty or Oates?

View attachment 25548
I thought he was coming into some good form last season. Earned a run on spot and then un-did all his good work with that goosey hit up which got him suspended. Never made it back.

Paix looks pretty big compared to previous years, hopefully helps his D.

Hooker battle will be fun.

IMO i think he will grab another gear compared to last year. Hes got an opportunity to lock in a bench or starting rotation. There were times last season when he would just push the pass or get too excited in defence.

If his game picks up - we have two quality props capable of serving rotation with Jenson. Baker could easily be added here or to the second row.

I see that the Burleigh Bears have Ethan O'Neill (Julian's son) and Shalom O'Ofou. These may be some decent second row backup options. O'Neill played pretty well for South's NSW cup last year. Not sure about O'Ofou. He was good in the trials but not sure what happened. Maybe he got injured

I see that the Burleigh Bears have Ethan O'Neill (Julian's son) and Shalom O'Ofou. These may be some decent second row backup options. O'Neill played pretty well for South's NSW cup last year. Not sure about O'Ofou. He was good in the trials but not sure what happened. Maybe he got injured

Shalom has signed with North Sydney Bears Probably not going to be at Burleigh Bears a lot. Wrong Bear species.

O’Neill is doing a train and trial.

Well here we are, the final team and let's all be honest here, the only one that any of us really care about - the best team in 2023 (if you don't count facts and statistics as being important): The Brisbane Broncos.

2023 saw Broncos fans believe in the club again. However, unfortunately for them, the result was similar to 2015, though at least this time it was to a team that on paper was better than them. For 60-65 minutes of the grand final, the Brisbane Broncos looked like they were going to be very worthy premiership winners...and then the unthinkable happened. Fans can find solace though in the fact that unlike 2015, this is a young side on the up and should contend for years to come. The caveat of course being how many of the kids can be held on to and how long can Reynolds stay Reynolds for.

The other issue for this scintillating side is that they have been picked apart more than the Panthers have and that is extremely concerning. The 2023 side was brimming with talent interspersed with some gun players finally arriving after all the years of investment. Most of them thankfully remain but some big ones do not in Herbie and Flegs. Palasia also was an unsung hero and one would assume if he had his time over again, he would have stayed if he knew then when we all know now.

Losing Capewell on top of all of this was a body blow, not for his on field stuff, but for his off field presence and leadership. That said, when the time came to stand up in the biggest game of 2023, Capewell's defense unfortunately fell to pieces and sadly for him, it was not a once off during 2023. Even so, losing him leaves the side with only two genuinely good second rowers and one of them is still a baby. As it stands, some other bits and pieces players like Baker and Hunt might be called on to fill the void if either Riki or Piaks go down and their respective injury histories would suggest this will be needed at some point.

Regardless, season '23 was one to savour, the attack was electric and the defense stoic and praise for a team can come from no higher than the three peat coach himself and Ivan Cleary was glowing in his comments about just how well the Broncs did against that team of champions in the Grand Final. Brisbane was only comprehensively outplayed once all season, a massive tick on steeliness and competitiveness. Coach Kevvie truly arrived and if that was any other team out there on GF day than Penrith, Brisbane right now would be premiers...but they aren't and that will burn and hopefully push the team forward in 2024.

Those that have hit the exit door are all big losses in different ways, but the Broncs have not only set the first team up but have a conveyor belt set up again where players coming in are no longer just talented rookies but also have had time to develop in second grade. This bodes well that the youngsters coming in will be closer to ready than in previous years. There is still significant competition for spots and that is what all the best clubs have.

So what does this mean for next season? Basically, this side looks like it will be right up there again but it will all depend on the guys coming in and boy oh boy is there some talent waiting in the wings. Willison looks like a superstar ready to explode and if he does, the Flegs void will be well and truly filled. This is one guy to be super excited about but he has a long injury history and this is the big concern. If this becomes his breakout season though, the Broncs will be back in the big one again and go one better.

Mariner looks silky and has the best mix of strengths for a back since arguably JYY for the Broncs. He is fast, agile and strong AND has a fantastic footy brain. He is projecting to have a Turuva like season on the wing for the Broncs. This is a kid who oozes talent and is ready to be a regular in the firsts. There were many fans this year, myself included, who felt he should have been in the team somewhere this year but at the same time, this is by no means a complaint, the coaches earned all the credit they received and then some and it would have been difficult to find a place to accommodate him.

Mozer looks like he is also tracking nicely and if he continues on his trajectory, he may well be a fixture in the 17 come the back end of the year but even if he doesn't, the Walters-Smoothy combo is more than handy in the interim. Madden looks a very handy back up halfback and is happy to serve an apprenticeship and why wouldn't you when you are heir apparent to play behind this forward pack?

We often forget too that guys like Walsh, Mam and Cobbo are still just so young that all of them still have a lot of improvement in them and that is what's scary. This is a team on the up with some question marks but all the likely answers should have fans very excited for what 2024 holds. This is a team that has been forged in fire and has shown in previous years that setbacks spur them on, not bring them down. 2024 has an ominous look to it for all other teams coming up against this impending juggernaut - get excited Broncos' fans!

Look at this side, it is stacked and unlike the chicken tacos, almost completely homegrown:

1. Walsh
2. Mariner
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Willison/Baker
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy/Mozer
15. Hetherington
16. Baker/Willison/Taupau/Jensen
17. Oates/Baker/Willison/Taupau/Jensen/Te Kura

Seriously, the backline loses something with Herbie going in the short term but given time to gel, it will be freakish. That forward pack and bench though looks on another level IF the young 'uns come good.

Willison, Haas and Carrigan have the potential to destroy 15 other sides in the comp and match it again with Penrith but can Willison stay fit?

2024 will be the Broncos' 7th premiership.

Mariner looks silky and has the best mix of strengths for a back since arguably JYY for the Broncs. He is fast, agile and strong AND has a fantastic footy brain. He is projecting to have a Turuva like season on the wing for the Broncs. This is a kid who oozes talent and is ready to be a regular in the firsts. There were many fans this year, myself included, who felt he should have been in the team somewhere this year but at the same time, this is by no means a complaint, the coaches earned all the credit they received and then some and it would have been difficult to find a place to accommodate him.

Leading tryscorer 2024.

would be a decent pickup with O'Neill seeing as he's an edge, Kev must have spoken to his Dad haha so I' m sure thats not a coincidence hes been doing train and trial.

would be a decent pickup with O'Neill seeing as he's an edge, Kev must have spoken to his Dad haha so I' m sure thats not a coincidence hes been doing train and trial.

Jules and Ethan don’t have a relationship. Ethan played Cup for the Capras for two years before he went to Sydney last year and wanted to come back. Bears got him a train and trial.

Train and trial doesn’t get you anything but training gear, $1000 a week and a game against Wynnum.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • Manofoneway
  • Fozz
  • HVbronco
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.