2024 State of Origin - Game III Discussion

The only problem I had with Klein was the DCE penalty for the Luai little push and shove and missed high tackle on dearden. That should have been either play on or sin bin the two 3rd men in and move on. He tried to let the game flow but jesus there is only so much you can take when 1 team is absolutely lying in the ruck. He could have called 30 six agains it was that bad.

We averaged 4.09 seconds in the play the ball. It was brutal. Looked like a Melbourne Storm game from 2009.
Not sure which team you're talking about.
Any chance you could post the PTB speeds .Thx in advance

Patty leading the way for meters and tackles across the whole fucking Qld team (including the backs) shows he had to carry that entire forward pack and only got any sort of support from Cotter.

Lindsay getting continual hype, because he plays for a NSW team, but actually providing next to nothing outside the 1%'ers... which he can do because he's not doing any of the grunt work

Kaufusi absolutely useless... completely pointless selection.

Was wondering if he might just sub him onto the wing and then position the rest of the team around it

Could've brought him on for Gagai... who wasn't really offering much... moved Cobbo to centre (because Val was going alright on the wing) and then in attack you have Capewell shift to centre in attack, Cotter to second row, etc. but play with two fullbacks.

I think two fullbacks is somewhere a coach will go one day and if they make it work then tactics will change hugely. Wahs might not be too far off with RTS on the wing at the moment.

One thing I noticed when Ponga and Reece were both on is that they still went through the forwards on one out hit ups.

I think if you're sacrificing a middle forward for Ponga then you just had to get things to the edges and just keep going side to side to get NSW moving side to side in defence.

We were doing that for a set inside the 20m... and I think that was exactly what Billy had envisioned.

Ponga attacked the left with some stepping and ball playing... then they go to the right and Walsh is getting it out the back of shape... Billy may have had an orgasm seeing it happen on the field.

That was when Walsh went down for the late shot to the back, but no penalty... would've been interesting to see how the attack might've gone if they got some sustained possession in that setup to see how it went.

I thought about it over a beer before Game 1. You could possibly have two FBs on the field and not have a five eighth, and just have a ball dominant halfback like a Hynes or Cleary. Have both FB deep in defence on kicks and keep your wingers up.

Smarter people than me have probably brain stormed the pros and cons, but it could be an option if you've got the right players.

I don't mind losing to a better side. But this whole series was fucked by the officiating and blatant game managing.

Vlandys would be doing an evil Monty Burns steeple fingered laugh right now while all of QLD RL burns.

I can't wait for the Olympics to kick off because I just do not enjoy rugby league anymore with the state of the game and the direction it is going.

Remove the 6 again and have Klein publicly drawn and quartered would be a decent start to repairing the game.
It seems you do in fact, mind losing to a better side..

Klien was awful, as usual, some of the penalties & set restarts were soft & they were incredibly inconsistent, he would ignore the same thing only minutes later. There was no rhyme or reason to most of them, other than most of the time going the one way. We were outmuscled, and had been in game 2 & even moments against 12 men in game 1, but there’s no doubt nsw got the better of the calls the last 2 games.

I thought about it over a beer before Game 1. You could possibly have two FBs on the field and not have a five eighth, and just have a ball dominant halfback like a Hynes or Cleary. Have both FB deep in defence on kicks and keep your wingers up.

Smarter people than me have probably brain stormed the pros and cons, but it could be an option if you've got the right players.
Could definitely work like this, especially if one of your FB is more a passer and the other a runner.

Think the closest we have seen is Turbo at centre I think for NSW a few years back. He roamed around wherever he wanted and it was incredibly dangerous.

Patty leading the way for meters and tackles across the whole fucking Qld team (including the backs) shows he had to carry that entire forward pack and only got any sort of support from Cotter.

Lindsay getting continual hype, because he plays for a NSW team, but actually providing next to nothing outside the 1%'ers... which he can do because he's not doing any of the grunt work

Kaufusi absolutely useless... completely pointless selection.

View attachment 28714

View attachment 28715
*collins had one of the all time blinders last year to contribute to a series win

I don't have an answer but something has to be done about the short dropout rule.

Simply isn't enough reward for getting through your set, getting a kick in the goal area and tackling the opposition their. You do all of that then its a lottery if you get the ball back from the dropout. I understand they want to make it a contest but in that situation when the attacking team has worked so hard should it be a contest to get the ball back?

Throw in the risk you take putting the kick in that could result in a 7 tackle set should you get it wrong or knock it on attempting to score a try.

Again i dont know what the answer is but the risk V reward for attacking kicks into the in goal area is almost not worth it to the point you might as well just run a hail mary play on the 6th.
The NRL has taken out all the tactics in the game and exchanged them for athleticism and flashiness. Once upon a time, there was a way to grind out a win. Now it is all about speed and power.

It seems you do in fact, mind losing to a better side..
Struggle with your reading eh bloke? Nsw were the better side, and they deserved the win, like I said I don't mind losing to a better side.

I also said the officiating was fucked, which it clearly was.
NSW likely win regardless, but this whole series had some of the worst reffing I've ever seen.

Also, go **** yourself Goat you intentionally antagonistic douche.

The play the ball speeds were

NSW 4.09 seconds
QLD 3.60 seconds

@Dexter

That is a massive advantage. You rarely see that big of a difference between two sides. You never see that. It's usually 0.2 seconds at worst. We were allowed to do anything we want. I can't put any of it on Klein. We were dominated.

I think that's pretty close to what panthers have been running... Luai and Edwards sit as second receiver on either side of the ruck, like two fullbacks, and Yeo and Cleary run the middle of the field.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Waynesaurus
  • Gaz
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.