2024 State of Origin - Game III Discussion

I wouldn't have picked either Su'A or Capewell. I always thought Su'A was a curious selection in the first place. He wasn't good enough to make the 30 man squad at the start of the year and while he was playing better footy, I don't necessarily think he was playing better than those who made the squad.

Unlike other selections that panned out, Su'A made some really costly mistakes and failed on a few of his defensive assignments.

I thought Capewell had a shocker in Game II but in his defence, he worked hard in Game III and made a noticeable improvement to the side defensively. I wouldn't have picked him going into the game and would have gone straight with Fifita and Fermor but Billy had other ideas.

The Fifita omission is strange. I could understand it before Game I but if Slater wanted to up the ante and instill some belief into the team, Fifita for Game III would have been the play. I think Billy earned himself some slack in 2022-23, he's got to respond in 2025.

Wow
That was farcical. Klein had a shocking first half, and honestly, the media has already done a lot to try to salvage that game. The reporting is all about how it was an amazing game. Best game ever. Etc., etc. But really, that was a shocking look for the game, IMO. Klein not knowing the rules and sin binning Murray but then having to sit one blue down on a nothing play where really it should have been Luai binned, and Murray sent is just ridiculous. It shows how little the rules matter as anything more than a way to have the game proceed to give exciting show reels.

No Munster, no Tino, no Gilbert, no Flegler.

They are fucking massive losses. Even Arrow is a big loss because he brings a lot of aggression.

We were up against it from the start and I think this result was always going to happen.
To be fair NSW had no Trbojevic, Cleary and Mitchell only played one one game.

I don't think Munster is a big off, Dearden played out of his skin, alot of edge plays lost off Walsh with wingers not in position though, notably Holmes in no mans land.

Dearden did well but he's not on Munster's level.

Munster does a fair bit off the ball to lift the side. His ability to come up with a big play that turns the game when it's in the balance and his ability to produce something out of nothing is something that Dearden just hasn't replicated at this level.

Brutal game, ref didn't cost us the game it was their superior pack which dominated field possession and fatigue set
Their two playmakers had two huge moments which resulted in blues win.
Moving forward Munster and Tino make us easy 20-30% better, unfortunately Flegler may have to retire so can't count on him for 2025.
Mahoney in for Hunt ane Walker may force his way into the team.

Cobbo must be long term centre as we have no one else.
Really could of used Fifita off the bench

Klein’s comments, seemingly to the video referee, as he waited to indicate Murray’s 10-minute sin bin, only added to the hysteria.

“If he’s involved, he’s going to be a send-off,’’ Klein could be heard stating.

Also Klein: 10 minutes in the bin for you.

Makes total sense.

NSW are even worse winners than they’re losers tbh. Luai posting a photo of him out the front of the Caxton from Monday night is comical.

Brutal game, ref didn't cost us the game it was their superior pack which dominated field possession and fatigue set
Their two playmakers had two huge moments which resulted in blues win.
Moving forward Munster and Tino make us easy 20-30% better, unfortunately Flegler may have to retire so can't count on him for 2025.
Mahoney in for Hunt ane Walker may force his way into the team.

Cobbo must be long term centre as we have no one else.
Really could of used Fifita off the bench

I think Gilbert was a big loss for this year as well. He’s a must for me next year

I think Gilbert was a big loss for this year as well. He’s a must for me next year
Unfortunately he’s had 2 years with no foooty. Won’t be back until just before origin

The whole thing is a farce. The media decide who wins and who doesn’t and Klein just pulls the strings the way he needs to so he isn’t blasted. All week on every NRL media show it’s all “Worried about the penalty count in QLD” I mean Bwaith was practically in tears about it. Wouldn’t you know it, nearly all of the first half penalties go to NSW. I guess home ground advantage isn’t a thing anymore according to NSW media, might as well just play the whole series on neutral ground then. Or even better, let NSW have all the games, I’m sure Bwaith would be crying again to make sure they don’t get any advantage from the home town penalties.

I wouldn't have picked either Su'A or Capewell. I always thought Su'A was a curious selection in the first place. He wasn't good enough to make the 30 man squad at the start of the year and while he was playing better footy, I don't necessarily think he was playing better than those who made the squad.

Unlike other selections that panned out, Su'A made some really costly mistakes and failed on a few of his defensive assignments.

I thought Capewell had a shocker in Game II but in his defence, he worked hard in Game III and made a noticeable improvement to the side defensively. I wouldn't have picked him going into the game and would have gone straight with Fifita and Fermor but Billy had other ideas.

The Fifita omission is strange. I could understand it before Game I but if Slater wanted to up the ante and instill some belief into the team, Fifita for Game III would have been the play. I think Billy earned himself some slack in 2022-23, he's got to respond in 2025.
Agreed. Billy needed to swallow his pride and bring Dave in.

I haven’t done the math, but surely there was a better option than bringing Gagai in. Surely Queensland has one other serviceable outside back.

I’m not sure I rate Walsh as an origin fullback at this stage of his career either. I thought Hammer might have done enough in game 1 to cement that position.

Haven't read most of the thread but fwiw I thought we played okay, we were defensively pretty strong but ultimately we just couldn't score any points.

0 tries scored. Not winning game 3s like that.

Thought our boys mostly all played well. Walsh was well contained again and hasn't really had the impact we would've hoped to see.

Dearden was heroic. Didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

Yep Reece looks a shell of himself out there. I thought he was back after the Penrith game but it’s a similar display to his game 2 a couple of weeks ago.
I wonder if it’s all part of the KO from SOO1, niggles or a bit of everything.
Was really hoping to see him backup on Saturday as Tristan offers nothing. He’s missed so much club footy too. Origin has royally fucked us this year.
Reece has never been the same after he was viciously crushed in Origin 1

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • KevieBurnerAccount
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Rambstien
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.