2024 State of Origin - Game III Discussion

Mate I just had this exact same conversation with my 8 year old that I’m going to have with you.

No one wins all the time… sometimes the opposition are better than you. It’s ok to cry but stop now and be a man. Dont blame others for your faults, shake it off and we’ll get them next year

I'd probably get more sense from a 2 year old than i would from you, so i'm clearly ahead in this contest.

No Munster, no Tino, no Gilbert, no Flegler.

They are fucking massive losses. Even Arrow is a big loss because he brings a lot of aggression.

We were up against it from the start and I think this result was always going to happen.

I think the forwards we were missing shouldn't be underestimated. Remove the equivalents from NSW plus one of their first choice backups and they wouldn't be the same side either.

Agreed. Billy needed to swallow his pride and bring Dave in.

I haven’t done the math, but surely there was a better option than bringing Gagai in. Surely Queensland has one other serviceable outside back.

I’m not sure I rate Walsh as an origin fullback at this stage of his career either. I thought Hammer might have done enough in game 1 to cement that position.

I think BIlly tried to be a little too Melbourne Storm/Queensland with wanting players do every little thing. When you dont have the depth, you have to integrate players who will make a difference even if they might have a few flaws. We dont have the depth that NSW do across the park really.

Charges in.

Charge
RecordPleaPenalty
Cameron Murray (Blues)Grade 3 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC2-3 matches
Haumole Olakau'atu (Blues)Grade 3 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC2-3 matches
Matt Burton (Blues)Grade 1 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Payne Haas (Blues)Grade 1 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Brian To'o (Blues)Grade 2 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC13-20% of match fees
Kurt Capewell (Maroons)Grade 1 Dangerous Throw1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Jeremiah Nanai (Maroons)Grade 2 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC13-20% of match fees
Kurt Capewell (Maroons)Grade 1 Dangerous Contact1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Felise Kaufusi (Maroons)Grade 1 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Maroons)Grade 2 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC13-20% of match fees
Reuben Cotter (Maroons)Grade 2 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC13-20% of match fees
NRL HQ end of season just got the bar tab covered

I think BIlly tried to be a little too Melbourne Storm/Queensland with wanting players do every little thing. When you dont have the depth, you have to integrate players who will make a difference even if they might have a few flaws. We dont have the depth that NSW do across the park really.

It was a mistake to select Ponga on the bench. Slater should have gone with D.Fifita.....

In the later stages of both halves, as we saw it play out
Fifta against a tired defensive line w/could have put on some points.

Unless he's injured or experiences another period of "disinterest"......Fifita has to be on the bench next SOO series.
If he's right....and he's used right, there isn't a better impact forward in the game.

Walsh, Ponga, Grant, Hunt, DCE, Deardon....all on the field at the same time, cried desperation for a Hail Mary victory....

I think Billy, JT and Cam have to realise........after Munster, there is no once in a generation talent who is going to grab games by the neck and win them for QLD like they themselves enjoyed. They have to think harder about their selections and the balance within the team.

I've always thought when it comes to selections like Walsh V Ponga.......it's one or the other. You can't have both.

We had Carrigan doing 80% of the forwards pack work.

Cotter is too small and Collins had no impact.

Don’t know what you expect our backline to do when we had no go forward. There was multiple times where we had 3 hit ups and made like 5 metres.

The times we did have some space DCE stuffed around or they overran Walsh.

Great game, fantastic result, even with the Suncorp/Klein bias.
I don't understand what you guys see in Walsh, seems to be a cat in defence, but loves the show pony attacking plays and loves looking at the screen to see himself.
I was expecting the usual Qld win but they were a shadow of themselves this year.

I don't understand what you guys see in Walsh, seems to be a cat in defence, but loves the show pony attacking plays and loves looking at the screen to see himself.

Its an understandable view point ...TBH.

We had Carrigan doing 80% of the forwards pack work.
Yep, I mean i see @Wolfie criticise Kevy for playing Carrigan for 65 minutes in a first grade game. Would love to hear his thoughts on Billy playing Carrigan for the full 80 in an origin game. Absolutely no consideration for his longevity and obviously no plan for the bench players picked. Why not have Capewell cover lock and let Kaufusi whack a few halfbacks to give Carrigan a 15 minute spell. Completely retarded use of the bench last night I thought, no plan whatsoever for Ponga or Kaufusi.

Anyone think that Billy might have been lucky the last few series coming up against Fitler who made slightly more retarded team selections?

Yep, I mean i see @Wolfie criticise Kevy for playing Carrigan for 65 minutes in a first grade game. Would love to hear his thoughts on Billy playing Carrigan for the full 80 in an origin game. Absolutely no consideration for his longevity and obviously no plan for the bench players picked. Why not have Capewell cover lock and let Kaufusi whack a few halfbacks to give Carrigan a 15 minute spell. Completely retarded use of the bench last night I thought, no plan whatsoever for Ponga or Kaufusi.

Anyone think that Billy might have been lucky the last few series coming up against Fitler who made slightly more retarded team selections?
I mean Carrigan is clearly the best middle forward in the side, but yeah, it was ridiculous. Lindsay Collins has had MOTM level performances before , even giving him 10 more minutes to give Carrigan a breather would have been good, given that Collins only played 30, but I guess maybe he felt like he had no choice, as ridiculous as it may seem? His selections and bench use was a bit baffling overall though, you're right.

I dont actually criticise Kevvie for playing Pat 65 mins + in a first grade game ( even though its longer sometimes ) its more he plays him for that amount of time straight week in week out.

I dont like Slater doing it either tbh, but i can see why they do because he basically holds both teams packs together. Its not an issue if its the odd game, but when its week after week eventually its going to take its toll.

I dont particularly think Billy has been lucky. We had a much better game plan that we executed better. This year, we didnt do that, on top of losing so many key forwards and being on the end of some shocking game management by Klein. No doubt Billy has got so many decisions right the previous 2 series, this year, he's pretty much got them all wrong.

I dont actually criticise Kevvie for playing Pat 65 mins + in a first grade game ( even though its longer sometimes ) its more he plays him for that amount of time straight week in week out.

I dont like Slater doing it either tbh, but i can see why they do because he basically holds both teams packs together. Its not an issue if its the odd game, but when its week after week eventually its going to take its toll.

I dont particularly think Billy has been lucky. We had a much better game plan that we executed better. This year, we didnt do that, on top of losing so many key forwards and being on the end of some shocking game management by Klein. No doubt Billy has got so many decisions right the previous 2 series, this year, he's pretty much got them all wrong.
SO what your saying is. Despite the coach having a good game plan, playing the star middle for enormous minutes is warranted due to injuries to key players.

Why not apply that same logic to your ongoing criticism of Kevy? We too have had injuries and been running against the grain for refereeing decisions during games. Are injuries to key players and refereeing only relevant as an excuse to a teams that Kevy is not the coach?

I mean, Munster, Flegler, Tino being absent seems mighty similar to Reynolds, Haas, Walsh being absent for extended periods? Perhaps there is something to having your best side available to play, just not when your Kevy I guess.

He was also looking to play Patty for 80 in Game 2 despite it being 22-0 after 20mins... only break he got was when moron Klown put him in the bin

Active Now

• Bish
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • pagey
  • Brotherdu
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.