2024 State of Origin - Game III Discussion

Reece certainly wasn't bad last night but his positional play as a fullback still needs work. He also needs some footy boots that help him with his slipping issue.

Reece certainly wasn't bad last night but his positional play as a fullback still needs work. He also needs some footy boots that help him with his slipping issue.

I'm shocked he wasn't moved out of 1 for Ponga. His positioning was letting us down.

Dearden did well but he's not on Munster's level.

Munster does a fair bit off the ball to lift the side. His ability to come up with a big play that turns the game when it's in the balance and his ability to produce something out of nothing is something that Dearden just hasn't replicated at this level.

Exactly.......Munster has so much more to draw on than Tommy's "show & go".

We needed a player who as you say, can pull something from nothing. We had no-one capable of doing that last night.

Exactly.......Munster has so much more to draw on than Tommy's "show & go".

We needed a player who as you say, can pull something from nothing. We had no-one capable of doing that last night.

We had Hammer, Cobbo, Walsh, DCE, Grant and Hunt, for starters. All very capable of pulling something from nothing. But they didn't.

Tommy was one of our best. Maybe second best after Patty. For me, he embodied Origin.

Charges in.

Charge
RecordPleaPenalty
Cameron Murray (Blues)Grade 3 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC2-3 matches
Haumole Olakau'atu (Blues)Grade 3 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC2-3 matches
Matt Burton (Blues)Grade 1 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Payne Haas (Blues)Grade 1 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Brian To'o (Blues)Grade 2 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC13-20% of match fees
Kurt Capewell (Maroons)Grade 1 Dangerous Throw1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Jeremiah Nanai (Maroons)Grade 2 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC13-20% of match fees
Kurt Capewell (Maroons)Grade 1 Dangerous Contact1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Felise Kaufusi (Maroons)Grade 1 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC7-10% of match fees
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Maroons)Grade 2 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC13-20% of match fees
Reuben Cotter (Maroons)Grade 2 Contrary Conduct1st offenceTBC13-20% of match fees

Ashley Klein: If he's involved it's going to be a send off.

For the sake of the contest I'm glad it wasn't and I thought the penalty against Queensland was deserved - DCE initiates it and Nanai escalates it. However it's pretty ordinary to pick and choose when you're going to apply black and white rules.

Walsh not charged which isn't surprising. It was never a penalty.
Penalty sufficient, you can't carelessly kick a bloke in the head even if you're trying to stop a try.

I'm shocked he wasn't moved out of 1 for Ponga. His positioning was letting us down.

And had to spend time with the trainer holding his hand again .
I`d like to see a stat of how much time per season he spends not involved with his team because he is in the hands of the trainer . Setting some records I reckon .

Billy got what he deserved last night. You aren't winning many origin games with two forwards on the bench.

Also, for all of Walsh's upside, he really needs to work on his defence as its unacceptable at the moment.
Absolutely, there was not a lot from the young bloke last night at all.....but I need to know can anybody tell me WHY Ponga was selected given nil origin gameplay for the series? That critical penalty on the Blues line showed he didn't actually know where the state of the game was???

Walsh may be down on confidence this year after all the hits but I just feel he isn’t a big game player yet. He was full of confidence last year but went into his shell for the grand final.

I didn't watch the game BUT according to the charge sheet, Ola'kau'atu is facing only a 2-3 game suspension for being involved in the melee.

Wait a minute, this is a guy WHO WAS NOT IN THE TEAM AND NOT 18TH MAN. This guy should be facing a life time ban (I am not saying he should be, I'm just saying an example needs to be made here, goodness me).

No wait, before going off your heads at this being overboard, RE-READ WHAT I CAPITALISED ABOVE.

He was NOT IN THE TEAM, so essentially, this is a guy who has come from the stands to join in a fight. How is more not being made of this? If this was any other spectator getting involved, they would be facing a life time ban and a MASSIVE fine. Why is this different?

Brutal game, I was happy for the most part. I was disappointed with Cobbo's performance and thought a swap of Ponga for Walsh was the change to make. Reece needs some week in week out club footy badly. Carrigan was a pleasure to watch as always and I found myself yelling at Haas to produce that performance at club level (pretty please). You guys have covered everything else comprehensively. Anyway back to important matters........
grinch GIF

I don’t mind it. I’d love it if we won a decider in Sydney and Munster took a pi on the harbour bridge. It’s fun!
Yeah I agree to an extent and I don't have an issue with this stuff as long as when things aren't going well you don't complain about harassment or pull the mental health card. I can see once Luai 's career goes down the drain at the Tigers we will get all the sib stories about a rough childhood and mental struggles when he starts to get some of this shit back.

I would say more those concussions he has had this year made him go into his shell.
He did his job last night. Caught the ball, organised the defence well. Lets not forget they didnt score a try for like 65 minutes which is a feat. Its impossible for the FB to be everywhere and compete at the highest level on every play. Steroids Edwards is the only player that can do that. I thought he gave some good early ball to Gagai and the Hammier a few times and they were too slow or too weak to do anything with it. I dont think his concussion has done that much, probably just a lack of playing any football at all recently.

The failures of last night were really down to the abysmal selection choices. Kafusi, Capewell, Gagai, Ponga really all didnt have any place in the side! The maroons forward pack was tiny and eventually got dominated and belted, something that has happened in every game this series.

Either way it was a nice exhibition to watch and did its job by fucking the broncos season.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Browny
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Financeguy
  • pagey
  • Astro
  • Skyblues87
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • Bronx48
  • lynx000
  • broncos4life
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  • TimWhatley
  • Volvo Driver
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.