22/23 Off season - what must be done?

The more I think about it, the more I want Capewell turned into a 13 over the offseason, he will add that extra ball playing either side of the ruck in the Yeo type role.

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Herbie
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
10. Carrigan
11. Robati
12. Piakura
13. Capewell

15. Flegler
16. Jensen
17. Kobe/Palasia/Willison

I didn't name a 9/14 as it's depressing. But I think this is our best 17 from our current squad. I'd be more than happy to see Staggs moved onto Redcliffe if they want him, and Herbie goes to the right, Cobbo to left centre and we can find a right winger. Also no issue with Haas being moved on without a prop replacement, as a prop rotation of Carrigan, Flegler, Jensen and Palasia/Willison is still very good.

Does Code

No wonder Parker didn't last at the Broncos in that coaching role - too brutally honest and willing to have uncomfortable conversations for that current playing group.
Spot the difference:

Ikin:

“The Payne Haas issue I have found fascinating. The commentary from the outside is how does a player like Payne ask for a release and then turn up to training the next day and look his teammates in the eye and expect to remain engaged and connected? The players don’t care. Seriously, they do not care."​
Parker:

"I would have gotten rid of him. It reflected poorly on Payne, whether it was directly his doing or not. He’s on $800,000 per season yet claiming he wants to leave the club to get $1 million … what does that say to your teammates? That’s the first thing he should have thought of, yet clearly it was far from his main concern."​

"If you’re a Kobe Hetherington, Zac Hosking, Jordan Riki or Keenan Palasia, a fellow forward busting your arse on far less money … how are you meant to feel when a guy earning $800,000 says it’s not enough and he wants to leave the club? Me personally? I’d have been thinking, ‘Stuff you’. It would never be said publicly but that feeling would have filtered through much of the club. An incident like that doesn’t directly affect performances, necessarily. But all of a sudden, when the team is struggling and Payne isn’t at his best, what are those other players thinking?"​

Spot the difference:

Ikin:

“The Payne Haas issue I have found fascinating. The commentary from the outside is how does a player like Payne ask for a release and then turn up to training the next day and look his teammates in the eye and expect to remain engaged and connected? The players don’t care. Seriously, they do not care."​
Parker:

"I would have gotten rid of him. It reflected poorly on Payne, whether it was directly his doing or not. He’s on $800,000 per season yet claiming he wants to leave the club to get $1 million … what does that say to your teammates? That’s the first thing he should have thought of, yet clearly it was far from his main concern."​

"If you’re a Kobe Hetherington, Zac Hosking, Jordan Riki or Keenan Palasia, a fellow forward busting your arse on far less money … how are you meant to feel when a guy earning $800,000 says it’s not enough and he wants to leave the club? Me personally? I’d have been thinking, ‘Stuff you’. It would never be said publicly but that feeling would have filtered through much of the club. An incident like that doesn’t directly affect performances, necessarily. But all of a sudden, when the team is struggling and Payne isn’t at his best, what are those other players thinking?"​
Maybe that’s the problem, the players just don’t care.

Spot the difference:

Ikin:

Parker:

Maybe Ikin was asking us to read between the lines there

Spot the difference:

Ikin:

Parker:

as much as I don't like how it went down, Payne is by far a better player by a big margin than all those players parker named.

Spot the difference:

Ikin:

Parker:

While there is a lot to like about what Parker wrote it is a lot easier for him to make suggestions about releasing players etc when his job isn’t on the line for those decisions. He can say it in the media and then whether it works out or not he still goes on getting paid without any pressure or consequence.
Ikin on the other hand is dealing with real life scenarios that have real world consequences with the decisions he makes.

as much as I don't like how it went down, Payne is by far a better player by a big margin than all those players parker named.

He can be

Whether he wants or chooses to be, and how often, is another matter

Spot the difference:

Ikin:

Parker:

I like Corey as a player especially towards the back end of his career but these days Corey, is a different person. He reckons he should be welcomed with open arms into the coaching department at RedHill but there's a reason he isn't welcomed and he's bitter about it since. Reckon he recently offered himself to Titans Coaching department and it appears that they didn't even blink. He along with his close mate Ennis, never miss an opportunity to put a boot into Broncos. Bitter blokes with bitter self agendas.

As to what Corey mentions in the article, I don't mind what he says as I too want the club to move on the players who do not belong here. Do not want/need egoistic maniacs & entitled brats at our club. It's DD & Ikin who should/will act and I have total trust in those guys.

I like Corey as a player especially towards the back end of his career but these days Corey, is a different person. He reckons he should be welcomed with open arms into the coaching department at RedHill but there's a reason he isn't welcomed and he's bitter about it since. Reckon he recently offered himself to Titans Coaching department and it appears that they didn't even blink. He along with his close mate Ennis, never miss an opportunity to put a boot into Broncos. Bitter blokes with bitter self agendas.

As to what Corey mentions in the article, I don't mind what he says as I too want the club to move on the players who do not belong here. Do not want/need egoistic maniacs & entitled brats at our club. It's DD & Ikin who should/will act and I have total trust in those guys.

Haven't been a Parker fan lately, but I can't disagree with anything he said, especially this:

"Kick pressure. Marker defence efforts. Ball support. Things that don’t appear in the stats column but add up to premierships, if you give them due emphasis. The lack of these values from the outset this season, in my opinion, is what triggered Brisbane’s eventual implosion."​
I will say our ball support, notably from Martin, Oates, Mam, Robati and Cobbo was notably improved this season. If you want to pinpoint what was wrong with Turpin, it was that. Both Walters and Paix were more likely to back up their own passes or follow a forward towards the line. Paix moreso than Walters. Neither in Mam's class though.

It gets a bit old seeing one of these hookers lob the ball back to Payne and take a break while he hits it up.

It begins by the end of this weekend, so might as well start the discussion.

- Haas can **** off. Pulled a contract stunt mid season just when the team starts playing well then cracks the sads and plays mediocre to garbage when his gambit doesn't work. Bye bitch. Go hang out with your egomaniac wanker mates in Mundine's posse because we don't want a bar of it.

- Tesi Niu and Jordan Riki can be shopped out to 15 other clubs for chips and a drink. They are not up to it and have had more than their fair share of chances to prove otherwise.

- Kotoni Staggs needs the mother of all rockets. He has played himself pretty comfortably into "most overpaid player" at the Broncos over the past 2 seasons. He doesn't try to get involved in the play anywhere near enough and he has fucking Adam Reynolds on his inside waiting to feed him ball and his defence is hot and cold at best. We have had more than our fill of this shit with Milford, NO MORE. Pull your weight or **** off outta here.

- Walters is well and truly at the end of his rope, and he has effectively tied his own noose with piss poor selections, horrible bench management and presenting himself to the media and fans as a deer in the headlights when questions are asked of the teams performance. Club legend or not, it isn't good enough. WTF Kev? Where did it all go wrong?? How do you blow a season packed with positives in such a short time frame?

- Same old predictable shit with the way the team plays and operates. Next to no line speed, no urgency in defence, no desire to wrap up the ball, injuries galore, can't build pressure to save their lives (Hello Reyno) and always, ALWAYS forced to pick players in key positions like Turpin and Walters at 9 that are nowhere near close to up to the task.

I've never seen a season go from big success to disappointing failure so quickly. It is almost miraculous in its incompetence. If I were Donuts I would be far from impressed with the past month.
A fairly accurate summary of what needs to happen albeit not in the words I would use …still if others can see it why not the coach…The difficult part though is how to actually achieve those outcomes across a full season.

Ok, who at Broncos did Parkers missus.

He hasn’t changed at all. He was cranky blunt man his whole career.

Let’s just say the way he learnt from Webcke and Thorn and he continued isn’t really 2022 player friendly.

You can see it even on here- Parker says that’s crap and there is 100 comments that’s mean.

Oh well...season over.....at least no-one came out on the field after full time and kicked a "baby ball" onto the field...

Oh no.....ive not forgotten "that" little incident...

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • mrtij
  • Brocko
  • Behold
  • Justwin
  • dirtyharry
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • davidp
  • Astro
  • Adammacca
  • Griffo
  • Broncorob
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Spoon
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Dony Eliakim
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.