22/23 Off season - what must be done?

The real question is does Bellamy make us a top 4 team? I think he does easily, so it's coaching rather than roster holding us back.
I don't think changing the coach will help though, it will just set everything back a few more years.

I'd be playing to Kevies strengths if I'm lkin looking at overhauling this though. Move Oates to the second row to partner Capewell, Find an English winger to partner Farnworth out wide and try to bring back that "Broncos are a rep team" mentality. Only now we aren't just the Qld team.

Turpin and Walters are barely Q Cup standard and need to be shopped around. Haas and Staggs are playing like busted arses but are taking up a huge chunk of our salary cap.

Our defence is like running into pillows for other teams. Even halfbacks are looking to run into our line then offload like props. Our line speed is non existent after about 2 minutes of play and the mistakes we make are school boy stuff.

Someone in the coaching staff needs a bullet. Maybe donuts needs to approach Flanagan?

Dragons are dumb and desperate enough to take Haas. Haas for Hunt next year. We have ourselves a 9 (nobody else is worthwhile). Then we have ourselves a spine. Get in a reliable forward someone of the elk of Jensen but slightly “better”.

Sign an entire forward pack who can actually defend.

That'd be a start.

This.

Between strategic recruitment & development of Carrigan/Flegler we are seasons away from being a serious contender.

It isn't like we don't have the building blocks of a strong team, Kevvie has just, with the help of Haas, managed to break them.

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Flegler
11. Capewell
13. Carrigan

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Mariner
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
11. Capewell
13. Carrigan

15. Flegler
16. Hetherington
17. Robati

Anyone who's taken any notice of me talking about Carrigan knows i think he is a top line prop. Problem is he's turned into a top line 13 as well. Kobe isnt close to him but i think Kobe at 13 and Pat at prop is better for the team.
Which is why I’m baffled Jensen got dropped back to the bench when we were doing so well with he, Haas $ Carrigan in the side together. Flegler gives us such a great weapon off the bench.

Get rid of Kevvie and his assistants, and sign the best available hooker. That improves us out of sight.

I'm watching Leeds v Huddersfield right now and disbelieving we had Levi. He is so far better than both Walters and Turpin at 9 it isn't funny and he isn't even that good.
I watched the highlights but I can see straight away how much ability he has compared to our nonsense at 9, I don't think he is bad though, he was good at Newcastle and with us, but had that drop at manly inbetween. He pretty much has maintained the peak level he has had and it shows with him being the highest rated Hooker in the SL on MoS points.

The obvious thing that is wrong with us is our defence and more specifically our line speed or should I say utter lack of it.

The last two games highlight this perfectly. Both the Storm and Eels often leave the line early and move quickly to our ball runner and aren't penalised for it. They and other teams get away with this because they do it every tackle and every set of 6 which normalises it with the ref.

Contrast this with our passive defence where we take one step then the whole line stops and waits for the attacker to run 8-9 m with a full head of steam where instead of a collision we grab the runner and attempt to slow the play the ball down but where in reality if they don't then offload to support they carry our defenders another 4-5 m and by the end of the set make 50-60 or more metres which leads to an attacking kick which has us trying to run the ball out from just near our try line. Their line speed keeps us to a 30 m gain for the set and us doing a kick from our own half which is taken by their back 3 near their 20 m line then rinse and repeat.

The few times we do manage to get a team trapped near their try line and we attempt to lift our line speed the ref senses that we are doing something not normal and we give away a penalty or 6 again even though our line speed or leaving time is no different to our opposition.

Yes this is bad officiating but our lack of line speed is our own worst enemy yet again.

This passive defence has been happening not just this year but last year as well and whoever our defence coach is needs to go. A bulk of our preseason needs to happen without the football and with a lot of defensive drills designed around increased line speed and talk in defence. If certain players aren't fit enough to do this for extended periods then when the rest of the team does gym sessions etc the unfit players should be getting "some extra miles" in their legs with the fitness trainers. If these players can't or won't get fit enough it should be Intrust Cup time till they do.

Sorry about the long rant but I'm over us being cannon fodder for other teams.

What’s happened to Capewell? His defense has turned to absolute mud. He doesn’t slide, he makes bad decisions is missing a bucket load of tackles. He is another one who should not be guaranteed a start at present.

Unread

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  • pennywisealfie
  • MrRobot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.